LaunchBox Community Forums

Window Size for Game Videos

angelobodetti

Hi Guys, Quick questions.... When I watch Jason's YouTube videos the window for the gameplay videos is the same size as the video itself. For me on the other hand it seems as though the window for my videos is 16:9 whereas the video themselves are 4:3 which leaves black bars on either side. Is this a setting of some sort? Images attached since its a little hard to explain but very easy to see.IMG_0677.JPGIMG_0681.JPG

So then it's VLC or WMP displaying Black Bars because of the space it has. I think there needs to be a way, on the code side, for Jason to detect 4:3 and 16:9 video and the video plays accordingly. I think the playback engine is assuming what is available and trying to display the video in that size. If a 4:3 video gets played in a 16:9 aspect ratio then you get black bars. If you display a 16:9 video in a 4:3 window you get black bars but on the top and bottom. There needs to be a detection method I think where the player gets sized to the size of the video, and scaled up (within ratio) if needed to fill the space.

It could be based on your screen resolution. If I recall Jason makes those video's with increased DPI, so there is technically less room for the video to be displayed. Regular DPI on a 16:9 screen must give the right space proportions to create the black bars. I know it's both playback engines, but it's because they both handle that stuff the same way. Play an old TV show on your monitor in VLC, WMP or even Kodi and without stretching the image it will create black bars.

I just wanted to chime in to say that on the last few betas I have no black bars on the sides in either wmp or vlc in BB. I use to have them in vlc but not anymore since Jason implemented the new vlc version. As of right now I cannot really tell a difference between the two except that wmp might still be a tad faster in switching between videos and transitions.