LaunchBox Community Forums

Help with mame

Wolf_

Good news! Turns out you don't need to download the additional BIOS file for the PCEngine CD if you already have a Mame full set! The name of the cartridge file is "scdsys.zip" and it should be located in your mame roms folder already. Here's the updated command line to run PCEngine CD in mame: mame64 pce -cart scdsys -cdrom GAMENAME -Kris

I updated my Mess importer/parser to reflect those new CD based games. All in all, the program is taking 55 seconds to import 17683 games. I went back to the old way of adding command line parameters per game basis, instead of platform. I did this because as I mentioned before, European games will need to run on pal drivers sometimes and it's easier for me to just address this as the game is being added. It's also more precise that way, so you don't need to figure out by yourself what driver to use. The info comes from Mame itself, so it simply works. What you see in the image below was created from an empty launchbox.xml and is the result of two passes: 1) My parser/importer is: - populating all games - creating and naming the platforms - linking them to the emulator - adding custom command lines per game - Adding metadata for Region, number of buttons, Control Type, Media Type (although needs to be adjusted to CD-Rom instead of Rom), Orientation, Resolution and Serial Number This step took about 55 seconds. 2) Used Launchbox to import the additional metadata, replacing all fields when possible and to import covers, snaps and movies This step took about 15 minutes or so. Out of the 152 CDs for the Sega CD, only 6 covers are missing and most got movie previews. The games are playing nicely as well, except for a few exceptions I found so far. Not too bad at all. MessSegaCD.png

Antropus said One more CD system for you to test: Playstation One! Man, Mame came a long way. The emulation is not perfect, but it's pretty damn good! Just played some 2D games: King of The Fighters 99 and Gunbird and they both ran at full FPS, with music and all! I also tried Burnout, which is a 3D game and it ran fullspeed as well. I'm gladly surprised! Command line: mame64 psj -cdrom GAMENAME
Turns out cue files do not work (both my cd-i and turbocd) so I guess I'll need to re-import the main files? idk if I can do that though because some have split audio. Also my neogeo games get to a screen with bars on it after the popup and then fail to do anything, are you sure it is "-cart1"? And just a heads up but nonmame lists the genesis plus gx core as the best emulator for the sega cd, as well as the Mednafen psx core being best for ps1.

Spend some time reading the Mess manual, specially the part about cartridge emulation: http://www.mess.org/mess/howto#cartridge_emulation -cart applies to systems with a single slot. -cart1, -cart2 etc applies to systems with multiple slots, like the NeoGeo MVS, which is a multi cartridge system. So yeah, -cart1 is correct and works for me. Not sure why you are trying to run .cue files. If you downloaded the Software Lists pack, CD rom and HDD based games are saved as CHD files and those are the ones you should be using. I thought you were the one bringing up that this wasn't a competition about what emulator was better, but rather just needed help to make those systems work in Mame? I didn't mention those systems run better in Mame than any other emulator. I did say it surprises me how well they run in Mame though, completely playable at full speed mostly, so definitely worth testing :) I will say that those systems are working quite nicely, probably not the best emulation out there, but really nice and VERY promising indeed. Mame has an extensive collection of emulated chips for arcades and a lot of those components were used in consoles as well. It's a just a matter of time before the puzzles are put together and custom chips are emulated until Mame becomes completely accurate in their emulation. Things are definitely moving faster now under the Mame umbrella!

Antropus said Spend some time reading the Mess manual, specially the part about cartridge emulation: http://www.mess.org/mess/howto#cartridge_emulation -cart applies to systems with a single slot. -cart1, -cart2 etc applies to systems with multiple slots, like the NeoGeo MVS, which is a multi cartridge system. So yeah, -cart1 is correct and works for me. Not sure why you are trying to run .cue files. If you downloaded the Software Lists pack, CD rom and HDD based games are saved as CHD files and those are the ones you should be using. I thought you were the one bringing up that this wasn't a competition about what emulator was better, but rather just needed help to make those systems work in Mame? I didn't mention those systems run better in Mame than any other emulator. I did say it surprises me how well they run in Mame though, completely playable at full speed mostly, so definitely worth testing :) I will say that those systems are working quite nicely, probably not the best emulation out there, but really nice and VERY promising indeed. Mame has an extensive collection of emulated chips for arcades and a lot of those components were used in consoles as well. It's a just a matter of time before the puzzles are put together and custom chips are emulated until Mame becomes completely accurate in their emulation. Things are definitely moving faster now under the Mame umbrella!
I did say that which emulator is best is off topic, but as you were talking about it first I just thought I should let you know those systems are not perfect yet and better ones exist before you expect them to be on the same level and encounter a problem. (Also for the RetroArch fanboys I wanted to point out a few things RetroArch does better than mame (currently) so they would be less likely to hunt me down irl and "maim" me.)

Since Wolf wants to insist on calling me a fanboy I will say that right now there is one compelling reason to use Mame over Retroarch and that is for GrooveyMame and the Asio4all audio. That 0.1 ms audio latency is pretty killer and Retroarch cannot touch it yet. I am only a fanboy of what works best for the task at hand. If and when Mame becomes the better emulation platform I will be happy to make the switch.

I'm just as guilty of using that term myself and I appologize for that. I'm 100% with you on that btw. Whatever works is good on my book. At the same time I always root for the underdog, which is Mame when it comes to consoles at this point, reason why I'll put an extra effort to help people out with it :)

Mame is an amazing emulator and GrooveyMame with Asio4all is just that much better again. Mame handles everything arcade related beautifully and I do hope that one day it handles the console side of things just as well because that Asio stuff is truly amazing. The RA guys said they will never implement Asio because of licensing issues but maybe they will work on something else to do the same thing. Mame just has a ways to go to catch up on the console side of things. Maybe they can clean up their ease of use along the way. Are you using or have you tried GrooveyMame with Asio4all ?

I went from a young, avid gamer to an old collector kinda guy, who spends more time downloading, configuring, programming and trying to figure things out these days, so experiencing gaming is lacking in my life these days :) I do all this stuff hoping that my setup will make my two little boys, who are 2.5 and 5.5 years old now, very happy in the future, discovering all those old systems that their old dad used to play one day when he was a kid. I have a blast when I play with them though, in our arcade machine running Mame (TMNT being our go to game). I still need to update it to GroovyMame, especially considering that my arcade machine runs with an authentic multisync arcade monitor and I heard awesome things about the audio synchronization as well. I will have the time, eventually :) -Kris

Lol, I hear that. The tinkering can get out of hand at times. No kids of my own but I do have a couple of younger cousins, 5 and 10 years old that when they come for a visit they love to hammer away on the X-Arcade stick playing TMNT and Gauntlet. Definitely do yourself a favor and get GrooveyMame and the Asio4all stuff working, you won't be disappointed. The amount of work to get it up and running is very little with huge pay off.

Btw, for the mame retroarch core, can you get it to emulate the same as mame standalone if you put your systemlist in the system folder or something like that? Edit: figured out the problem with the NeoGeo roms, they were in ragex format. That was my bad but I did not expect an emulator to require its own special format.

SqHd said Wow! Great thread and tutorial! Anyone have a setup for Apple II and / or Texas Instruments (TI-99)?
In the command line modifier for apple 2 put apple2 -flop1 (plays .dsk .do .po .rti .edd .d77 .d88 .1dd .dfi .imd .ipf .mfi .mfm and .td0 file extensions) for the TI-99/4 Home Computer (us) use ti99_4 -cart (plays .rpk files) If those don't work you may need a different version in which case you can find a full list of supported versions here: http://www.progettoemma.net/mess/sysset.php (I strongly suggest using ctrl f to easily find what you are looking for) From there if you want to know what -media command to use open up command prompt and navigate to your mame directory, in my case I need to type: D: cd D:\Games\LaunchBox\emulators\mame mame64.exe ti99_4 -listmedia I have a ssd for faster boot/program execution times and nearly every computer with a ssd for its operating system has a disc drive for storage so my computer has both a C: drive and a D: drive for storage. "D:" changes the command prompt from looking in the C: drive (which it does by default) to looking in the D: drive. cd means "change directory" and tells it which folders to look in. My mame executable is saved in "D:\Games\LaunchBox\emulators\mame" so that is what I need to type. When you are in your mame directory you can now use mame commands. First call your executable (I use the 64bit version of mame so it is called mame64.exe but if you use the 32bit version yours would be called mame.exe) then the name of the system (see the list I linked you to), then "-listmedia" which lists all media types for that system and in parentheses says what the name of the command for the media types listed after them is. So if you wanted to emulate a .wav soundfile with the TI-99 your command line modifier would be: ti99_4 -cass1mame.png

Wolf_: Thanks so much for the quick reply. I'm new to this more complex type of emulating. Hopefully, I can get it working! I can't wait to play Castle Wolfenstein and Parsec! Fond memories from when I was a kid...Cool

SqHd said Wolf_: Thanks so much for the quick reply. I'm new to this more complex type of emulating. Hopefully, I can get it working! I can't wait to play Castle Wolfenstein and Parsec! Fond memories from when I was a kid...Cool
No problem. I was exactly where you are now like a week ago. The main issue I had was that it is so hard to find any kind of guide (Mess recently merged with Mame so to figure out how to do the Mess things in Mame all the guides are on Mess sites/forums and things). So you just need to keep annoying people that have figured it out. (They probably learned the same way lol)

• 1 year later...
On 5/5/2016 at 9:07 AM, Antropus said:

Watara Supervision tvlinkp -cart Here's what I found to be the best way to set things up (the images should be self explanatory):

Thanks for this switch mate. Holy moly, I've been looking far and wide for this.

Edited by JamesBond@ge