LaunchBox Community Forums

How to add PPSSPP?

firion

You can add any emulator, or anything at all really, to LaunchBox. I covered the PSP in our tutorial series and I used PPSSPP in fact. If it's not on the list, you can still manually add it. It's the platform name that needs to be default for the best possible scraping.

SentaiBrad said You can add any emulator, or anything at all really, to LaunchBox. I covered the PSP in our tutorial series and I used PPSSPP in fact. If it's not on the list, you can still manually add it. It's the platform name that needs to be default for the best possible scraping.
Ahh I see, thank you, Ill do that! BTW if its okay I might just post in here more if I have a couple more small questions

SentaiBrad said Of course, no problem!
Thank you :) Any way to add steam games that don't show up under your profile? EG I have a couple family shared games and simply adding a new game and setting the directory doesn't seem to work

You can drag and drop the exe, import it as MS-DOS (doesn't require you to specify an emulator, but that also works), then edit the game to take away the need for it to use MS-DOS. Jason is aware that importing shortcuts or drag and dropping windows games to specifically import them is a complete work around and he has expressed intrest in fixing that so you can more easily import PC game exe's or shortcuts without workarounds.

• 1 month later...
As an FYI, I recommend the following default command-line parameters in the PPSSPP "Edit Emulator" section Enter the the text in the "Default Command-Line Parameters" box: --escape-exit --fullscreen This automates two functions: 1) The Esc key (whatever you have it mapped to on your controller or the keyboard) returns to LaunchBox automatically rather than going to the PPSSPP menus. 2) Games open in full screen (Yes, you can set full screen in PPSSPP settings, but I prefer to keep it unchecked in settings so if I need to go directly to PPSSPP to make edits it doesn't default to full screen open. Only when I launch a game from LaunchBox.) -TK2016-07-25.png
  • Like 4

SentaiBrad said You can drag and drop the exe, import it as MS-DOS (doesn't require you to specify an emulator, but that also works), then edit the game to take away the need for it to use MS-DOS. Jason is aware that importing shortcuts or drag and dropping windows games to specifically import them is a complete work around and he has expressed intrest in fixing that so you can more easily import PC game exe's or shortcuts without workarounds.
One other thing I would add to this is that there are instances where some Steam games actually won't run if launched by their standalone exe's because of Steam DRM. Not all of them, of course, but some (often newer titles). The way to get around this is to go to your start menu -> steam -> find the shortcut to the game and right-click and go to properties. The way steam game shortcuts are setup in the start menu is to a url, that will look something like "steam://rungameid/#####". All you have to do is copy that url into the "application path" in your Launchbox entry and you'll be good to go. This is functionally identical to just pressing the "play game" button in Steam.

• 1 month later...
On July 24, 2016 at 10:17 PM, timekills said:

I recommend the following default command-line parameters in the PPSSPP "Edit Emulator" section Enter the the text in the "Default Command-Line Parameters" box: --escape-exit --fullscreen

Thanks! Before seeing this, I went and added a autohotkey script to exit because the forum page settings for ALL EMULATORS does not have this. Now I removed the autohotkey script and just set your suggested parameters and all is good. Can someone update the all emulator settings post for Sony PSP?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckp said:

Thanks! Before seeing this, I went and added a autohotkey script to exit because the forum page settings for ALL EMULATORS does not have this. Now I removed the autohotkey script and just set your suggested parameters and all is good. Can someone update the all emulator settings post for Sony PSP?

You don't need the escape exit command. Controller Automation has long since replaced most of these functions.

hi @SentaiBrad, the problem I see with controller automation is that you need to enable a controller in BB, and that causes a problem. So for example, I use xbox360, x-arcade joystick, and keyboard across my platforms and pc games. i need to have Xpadder running all the time so I can go into any platform and use either xbox360 OR x-arcade/keyboard (except with PC games). Because of this I can't enable the xbox360 controller and automation in BB, because then i cannot drive the BigBox interface with my xbox360 controller as i will get double inputs for everything. what you say is probably true if you don't use Xpadder or other similar controller driver. But I feel most people are probably forced to use a controller driver like Xpadder so they they can startup a game from any platform and have their controller work (lots of emulators do not support native controllers).

if you know of a solution for what i describe, i'm all ears :) 

@ckp You know you can enable it for "all controllers" right? There's a separate checkbox for it.

1 hour ago, ckp said:

Because of this I can't enable the xbox360 controller and automation in BB, because then i cannot drive the BigBox interface with my xbox360 controller as i will get double inputs for everything.

No idea what this is about. Totally lost me here.

Personally I used to use Xpadder but I dumped it for Controller Automation because it does everything I need it to do.

2 hours ago, Zombeaver said:

No idea what this is about. Totally lost me here.

So, if I enable my xbox360 controller in the LB settings while my Xpadder is running in the background, when I try to navigate around the LB interface, the controller sends double inputs. In other words, if I scroll down the game list, each joystick or dpad down press sends TWO presses, if I press the select button it sends TWO presses, etc.

So, I can't have Xpadder running IF I set LB to use xbox 360.

Why do you have Xpadder configured to send basic dpad inputs? I'm not sure why you'd be using it for that. Those sorts of inputs are picked up in applications natively via xinput (which is why you're getting double inputs). Even when I did use Xpadder the only inputs I setup were specialized/complex stuff like special commands for a combination of keys.

I run Xpadder and have all the button sticks and dpad setup the same for my xbox360 controller as my x-arcade joystick so i can use either one in games. And I believe some emulators I've tried do not have xinput support natively, so if i want to use either xbox360 OR x-arcade i have to have Xpadder running with same mappings as my x-arcade.

And if Xpadder is running, I can't use LB enable controller or else have the double inputs.

Maybe I'm not very experienced or clear about this setup, but I do not know any other way to use both xbox360 and x-arcade(which is basically a keyboard) for all emulators without using Xpadder and letting it run all the time. And I thin I've found in some emulators that have native xinput support, i could not use that plus my keyboard type x-arcade.

If there is a different solution to all this madness, I would love to know, but the person who set me up initially with all my emulators and controllers (an expert) said this was how i had to do it. 

As it stands now with my current controller setup, I am able to play any game with either controller and everything is happy. And this way I can still drive the LB interface but through Xpadder keyboard method. So that just leaves me without the automation ability from LB.

Okay but if you're using it that way you don't need controller automation is what I'm getting at. They both serve the same basic purpose except you can do more with Xpadder - some people don't need the added functionality and for them Controller Automation is sufficient (plus it's built in to LB/BB). If you're already using Xpadder and it's already setup, you're not losing anything by not using Controller Automation.

You can use both controller support in LB/BB AND Xpadder, but not the way you're currently setup. You would need to unbind the basic direction/button inputs because those are going to be picked up by xinput anyway (otherwise it's gonna get double inputs). You could still use it for custom combination commands. While it's true there are some emulators that don't support xinput (though they're few in number), they'll pretty much all still support dinput at least, which will still have you covered.

If you really want to use Xpadder AND Controller Automation, you can, I'm just not sure why you'd want to. There's nothing you can do with Automation that you can't do with Xpadder.

With everything I've set up, including RetroArch, MESS and a few standalone emulators, everything supports my PS4 controller natively. It especially shines in RetroArch as it assigns the keys for every single core that supports a controller to the controller automatically. I've used Xpadder in the past, but never for LaunchBox related anything. I haven't really needed to use it in years.

If your arcade stick doesn't use Xinput, but rather is a keyboard, then yea this can become an issue. However, a lot of emulators let you set specific controls and keep configs of special controls that you just need to load. I guess it comes down to this: What systems are you using with your arcade stick? Is it at all possible to map the stick directly in to the emulator instead of using Xpadder?

Then again, Zombeaver is right. Bind Alt + F4 to something and you have the close function of Controler Automation. The beauty of controller automation though is that it's integrated and easy to use. It does also provide some extra functionality than just closing, but this is the biggest one for most users. I suggested Controller Automation also based on the information I had at the time, which was that you wanted to close PPSSPP, and in this case Controller Automation is all that is needed realistically.

1 minute ago, SentaiBrad said:

Then again, Zombeaver is right. Bind Alt + F4 to something and you have the close function of Controler Automation. The beauty of controller automation though is that it's integrated and easy to use.

Yep, you got it. The close function is totally achievable via Xpadder - in a couple of ways actually. You could either setup a combination of keys to send an alt+f4 input or you could setup a combination of keys to send an ESC input and then add in an AHK script to the emulator entry (Autohotkey script tab) to close on an ESC input:

; This section closes [emulator] when pressing Escape
$Esc::
{
    Process, Close, {{{StartupEXE}}}
}

@Zombeaver, yes for a couple emulators i am using the process close ahk script.

@SentaiBrad, do the emulators for these support simultaneous keyboard input (i need  it for my x-arcade) as well as native xinput for xbox360:  

ps1
super nintendo snes
sega cd 
sega 32x 
nintendo entertainment system nes
nec pc engine 
daphne

and even besides the ones above that do support native xinput for xbox360, will they work for xinput and keyboard at the same time without changing controller settings?

Edited by ckp

The first 6 are extremely achievable in RetroArch with custom configs. Very very easily. Well, ok RetroArch isn't all that easy, however once you understand it, it is. The last one I am unsure. RetroArch, and even some stand alone emulators there, easily support multiple buttons at once. If you want to learn RetroArch easily, try out the tutorials on our channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6pTDaHeAz-WMcNURVPU-1xLN_TVpT3FB