LaunchBox Community Forums

How to add PPSSPP?

firion

@Zombeaver, so are you saying ps1 is better off in RA? if so, i'll try adding that one also to RA. Problem is i have no idea where to start in there on shaders and video settings.

Do you use Mednafen for Saturn in RA or stand alone? I would really like to use Mednafen but like i said i have a bad feeling my game files don't work with it and i don't know what to do about that.

I use Mednafen in RA for PSX yes. Shaders are a matter of personal taste, but personally I'm a big fan of CRT-Easymode Halation and the Kurozumi edit of CRT-Royale. It's all subjective though - there's plenty of stuff for you to experiment with. It's easy to switch them so you can find what you like best. We can help you get that sorted out once you're setup.

I've been in the process of converting over from standalone Mednafen Saturn to the RA core. Either one is fine. One thing I really like about using it in RA is that with shaders you can take care of some of the interlacing problems that are present in some games that ran at 60fps (primarily fighting games) - you can't really do that in standalone. Standalone has some deinterlacing settings that you can tweak but none of them do the job very well to be honest.

5 minutes ago, ckp said:

best i can tell for my list, i will put these guys in RA:

atari 2600, atari 7800, nes, snes, gba, genesis, sega 32x, sega cd, master system

these are not my favorite games and platforms anyway and I doubt I will play much from these ones.

i'll leave saturn with ssa in rocketlauncher for now because it works on my Win10 box as-is and i don't want to mess with it since i hear so many people on the RL site say saturn doesn't work on win10 because of daemon tools lite scsi cd driver install issue. and the couple games i tried with new mednafen didn't work at all for me.

the rest i'll leave with stand alone emulators.

i think that's my plan. so basically i just need to add RA back to my LB and add those platforms and cores to it.

once i do that, @SentaiBrad, which video related setting changes and shader do you think i should make in RA to make me RA list of games look better (i don't care for scan liens either)? i'd like to start off with your suggestion since i just have no idea what to change in RA.

I was gonna start explaining how to use a shader, but honestly the tutorial will do a better job with the visuals. The link will take you to the spot in the tutorial where I start talking about Configs and Shaders. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC4NieHGwbo&feature=youtu.be&list=PL6pTDaHeAz-WMcNURVPU-1xLN_TVpT3FB&t=958

In the tutorial, I talk about the Pixellate shader for 2D games, and while it still works I now use the "Nearest" shader as well. For 3D, I haven't found one that looks quite right, but there are quite a few to mess around with. Right above the Nearest shader is a Bilinear shader, and I would be willing to bet that it would be decent for 3D. Custom configs is also a really good idea, so that way you load shaders and controller setups specifically for that system when you load it. Otherwise, every core uses the default RetroArch.cfg, and if you make a controller or shader change, any core that loads with that config will use those settings.

I know I keep repeating myself here: but this is why I made these tutorials.

Yep, that's true. Luckily, most games still work fine with the normal controller. I don't think any actually require the analog controller do they? I know that some games don't support analog but I don't think there are any that are the other way around. Analog is probably the better option when it's available though.

2 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

Yep, that's true. Luckily, most games still work fine with the normal controller. I don't think any actually require the analog controller do they? I know that some games don't support analog but I don't think there are any that are the other way around. Analog is probably the better option when it's available though.

http://www.segaretro.org/3D_Control_Pad#List_of_supported_games

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

Right but those don't actually require the analog pad - they're just the ones that support it. I was playing Nights just a moment ago and it works with the normal controller. Basically all I was getting at is that they'll still play in RA, even though it doesn't support the analog controller yet.

4 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

Yeah I don't think any game requires it but sure play better with it. Nights, Sonic 3D, and Panzer Dragoon are way better with it.

Yeah, true. Obviously analog output (360 joystick) + analog input (emulator) is gonna be better than analog output (360 joystick) + digital input (emulator). The amount to which that actually matters is gonna vary by game of course.

6 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

Also, you'll want to plug in the proper core in instead as well, as I am unsure if Jason updated the defaults.

Ah, yep. A few of those might be out of date.

These are what I have, although I don't actually use all of these as some of them are systems I don't have any games for. The CPS-1 and NeoGeo ones would normally just be fba_libretro.dll.

Cores.jpg

8 minutes ago, ckp said:

hmm, i used @SentaiBrad's list that he has screenshot posted for. yours doesn't match his for a few of the ones i listed that i am adding to RA.

It might come down to personal taste. You can swap out the name of one core with another core you'd like to test out. The tutorial I linked also teaches users how to add and edit lines in the Associated Platforms list. Double clicking an empty space at the bottom starts a new line, and double clicking the center will edit that box so you can change around what you need. Also, @Zombeaver is using less custom config settings as I am, where I use the -c command to load custom configs for most of my cores. Don't add any -c commands until you've created the custom configs or RetroArch will crash trying to load a config that doesn't exist.

If I recall, the Mercury variant has the SuperFX Games run at a full 30 or 60 FPS instead of their intended 15? Bsnes Balanced is generally the best, as it doesn't eat up all of your CPU and has perfect compatability. It will sacrifice accuracy for that performance. Accuracy is a bit more accurate, but it requires a 3Ghz-ish CPU, and has the same compatability.

You'll just need to play around with systems that have multiple cores to find the one you like.