LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch Mame Disable Info Screens

silvusvalentine

Retroarch Version: 1.3.6

Mame Core: MAME 0.174 (The core labeled Arcade (MAME) in the Core Updater)

Steps:

• Open Retroarch and pull up the Main Menu (Press F1 if you are in-game).
  • Load the Mame Core if it is not already loaded (check the bottom left of the screen for the currently loaded core).
  • Navigate to Main Menu -> Quick Menu -> Options.
  • In the Options menu, turn ON the following options (Image 1):
    • Hide nag screen
    • Hide gameinfo screen
    • Hide warnings screen
  • Navigate back to the Main Menu and select Save Current Config.
  • Now, when you play an Arcade game with Retroarch, it will begin loading the rom immediately.

Note: The nag screens, warning screens, and info screens are the screens that display before the rom is actually loaded (Image 2). These screens usually require a button press before the process is allowed to continue. These settings will not remove the arcade startup screens, display test screens, RAM check screens, hard disk load screens, etc.

1. Settings to change:retroarch_mame_hide_info.png
  2. Nag screen and gameinfo screen example:retroarch_mame_info_screen.png
  • Like 2

I just haven't bothered with the Mame core for a couple of months now so I never even looked at it. I know people on the Retroarch forums have been asking for it and the answer that was given was to just compile your own core. Was even kinda silly to have to find a hacked Mame.exe when GrooveyMame had the option to turn them off right in the mame.ini file.

• Like 1

Having tested this out for a while now it is good that they allow the user to turn off the nag screens I still wouldn't use RA Mame over stand alone Mame. Mames HLSL and GLSL shaders just absolutely destroy any shader in RA for arcade games. RAs shaders are perfect and the best for consoles but for arcade games Mames shaders are still best. Mames shaders for the most part do not rotate properly for vertical games so you would have to set a custom config for vertical or horizontal. While in Mame you have to do that with GLSL it is much easier using MameUI and the vertical and horizontal filters and HLSL doesn't care about the orientation.

Another thing is that there is something with the RA Mame core that requires more graphical processing power. I can throw any shader at any system in RA and my system will take it like a champ but in Mame the heavier shaders like the ones found in solid12345's analog shader pack make games unplayable dropping framerates down into the 40s. I can use shaders on any other system without issue.

I posted a video around here a little while ago showing how to setup HLSL. If you are using MameUI setting up GLSL shaders is very easy. HLSL is a little bit more tricky and hands on but not so bad. The command line version of Mame is bit more hands on again since you are editing ini files by hand.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On Saturday, August 13, 2016 at 0:23 PM, lordmonkus said:

I posted a video around here a little while ago showing how to setup HLSL. If you are using MameUI setting up GLSL shaders is very easy. HLSL is a little bit more tricky and hands on but not so bad. The command line version of Mame is bit more hands on again since you are editing ini files by hand.

I decided to leave retroarch and go back to MAMEUI so without this GLSL, is there a way to turn off those nag screens just by editing the mameui.ini file? I saw a post talking about skip_gameinfo and skip_warnings but that didn't work.

Edited by MerlinArcade

11 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

You have a couple of options for nag screens.

1) Compile an exe yourself disabling them.

2) Download a precompiled exe from somewhere, the Hyperspin site usually has up to date exes shortly after a release.

3) Download and use the GrooveyMame exe and turn off the nag screens in the ini file.

How about..

4) Drop MAME and go back to Retroarch? lol

Say I go back with retro, does that mean I will have to totally delete anything that is associated with MAME? Like associate the Arcade platform with Retroarch?

Personally, I dropped Retroarch because I kinda like the "all games" section of the MAMEUI, you could see exactly which ROM and sub ROM version you need for each game. Not sure if Retroarch will download all the right ROMs though.

You could go back to Retroarch if you like and you would not have to remove anything related to Mame in your Launchbox setup. You can just leave it there for easy swapping back and forth if you want to, I have mine set up this way.

Though I still prefer stand alone Mame for various reasons but the newer git builds of the Mame 181 core in Retroarch are looking to be fairly decent and much better than the "stable" Mame cores.