LaunchBox Community Forums

New theme in the works

nosh

Hi all,

This is my first post so ill introduce myself. I am a long time HyperSpin and RLauncher user/contributor, in recent years I have been more active on RL forums after HyperLaunch split into its own entity, most of my contributions have been artwork (bezels, loading screens, etc.) and AHK module code (mainly for the Retroarch module recently). https://github.com/nosh01 for examples of some of my work. I am glad to be here after for a long time, craving something modern, new, fresh and feature rich from a frontend perspective. It seems something new is being added every week which is exciting and refreshing to see.

With that being said, I am working on a new custom theme, not sure what i am going to call it yet, screenshot on my ultra-wide below. Right now as you can see I am working on the platforms view which really is mostly done, I just want to make some font changes and probably the box listing. Untitled-6.png I am in need of some help, it seems that the TextBlocks within FilterDetailsView are ignoring FontSize, if I had to guess it is being overridden somewhere? 

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Mute64 said:

Oh shoot, its the all legendary Nosh the Gabe Newell of Of bezels  lol... think i have all your bezzels. Welcome to the LB community and forums. :)

Lol I know I have disappeared for a while. 2 children and 2 moves have kept me busy. Finally getting settled in after moving across the country, just got my system back up and running a few days ago. We will see but it looks like I may slowly be gaining more down time to work on things like this which will be great because I definitely miss it.

• Like 2

Welcome nosh, great to have you! Yes, the font sizes are overridden in order to basically auto-size them depending on the resolution of the user's monitor. So basically the font sizes are automatically calculated depending on how big the resolution of the monitor is. That said, you should be able to override this functionality by changing the name property of the TextBlock element in the FilterDetailsView. :)

The new theme looks great so far! :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Welcome nosh, great to have you! Yes, the font sizes are overridden in order to basically auto-size them depending on the resolution of the user's monitor. So basically the font sizes are automatically calculated depending on how big the resolution of the monitor is. That said, you should be able to override this functionality by changing the name property of the TextBlock element in the FilterDetailsView. :)

The new theme looks great so far! :)

Glad to be here Jason. Your suggestion worked like a charm. Here is a video of the platform view nearly finished. 

• Like 4

I've decided to call this theme simply "Nosh". I am still working on the different platform views but wanted people to try it on for size. I know the large console thing is not a new idea but I have used that trend in most of the artwork I have done in the past for rocket launcher bezels and loading screens. Anyways let me know what you think. I am attaching the theme and the cropped consoles separately which will need to go in your platform images banner folder. 

I think this theme is best with the platform video background. 

You might notice the drop shadow on highlighted recent games and favorites, let me know if it stands out enough to catch your eye. I would like to maybe do an inner glow as well or even better animate the outer glow in and out. Might need some help with that however.

Nosh.zip

Nosh-Consoles.zip

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jason. I will definitely upload to the downloads section sometime soon. I actually decided to go in a different direction with my theme (pretty typical of me). After watching the recent custom theme demo I was inspired to get a little more creative. I have mocked up 3 platform views so far that I plan on building out. 

Forgot the author of the theme in the video, but I used the scanlines idea in my views, love the way it looks. On two of the views I mocked up two different platforms to give an idea what i am trying to do. I would like to change colors of certain elements per-platform. For example, in the pillar view below, SNES uses purple while Genesis uses blue across many elements. I want to figure out a way to store a color or two specific to a platform, in one variable/style that all these elements will look to for its background/forground/drop shadow color. I might need some help Jason on how to accomplish this, preferably without making the xaml a mess. 

I am also not sure how the pillar view will transition, I guess I will try to use the coverflow control and configure it so only one clear logo is visible? not sure...

I have to figure out how to do a blur mask on the video in the background, you may notice in my mockup in the pillar view, the background is blurred behind the pillar.

Assuming the transparent clear logos in the horizontal cover flow probably isnt feasible at the moment? Jason?

I decided I wanted to do something different with the text list view so I came up with a ZSNES UI look to it and I am really happy with how it came out. Probably could be a theme in itself, I plan on carrying this over to a game list and game details view as well.

Pillar View
bigboxtheme5.pngbigboxtheme4.png

Horizontal Viewbigboxtheme3.pngbigboxtheme2.png

ZSNES Text View

bigboxtheme1.png

Edited by nosh
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, DOS76 said:

Looking good Nosh! I had hoped to never see the ZSNES interface ever again and now you've gone and ruined it.

LOL. I loved that emulator and the interface was a big part of it, think it was for a lot of people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, onebadveggie said:

Oh man, one of my favorite Hyperspin contributors  working on LaunchBox too! I already use all your Bezels on Rocketlauncher, and just made the switch over to LaunchBox. Can't wait to see what you do with it! :D

Thanks veg. I am moving over as well, kinda feel this is the place to be. I love HyperSpin, put a lot of hours in both my setup and into the community there but...its just not doing it for me anymore, the frontend itself needs some love and is what it is but bbb doesn't have the time which I totally get. The community is HS, has been for years, they have some very talented redraw and all around Photoshop guys over there that put out amazing themes and box art, most of them emumovies contributors as well. Can't deny what HS and the community has done for the scene but again I am looking for more these days. Jason does this for a living and that alone is reason enough to switch. Its pretty clear to me, going through youtube and forum history, Jason and team understand that software like this is nothing without a community and that it is an essential factor in growing this type of business.

Anyways, we will see what i can do. Still stumbling my way through xaml, learning launchbox functionality and such. I will probably start on the pillar view tonight and see what i can figure out.

• Like 7

I love the ZSnes view. Brings back a lot of good memories! It would be a great view for SNES, but not sure it would look right with other systems.

I think being able to store a color or two for a system is a great idea! Looking forward to seeing more of this [emoji4]

Ya. I mean in general it just has that retro vibe to it which some people love, but like anything not for everyone. See how it goes.

Yes being able to store and bind custom stuff would be huge. Theme could have an xml file or something. Ultimately you would also want to have the custom options configurable in big box, setting custom colors, transitions, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

Very, very cool @nosh. I just put out a new beta today that adds a bunch of documentation and also a lot more possibilities, so I expect that the new stuff will really help all around.

Changing colors per platform should definitely be possible using the same strategies that I go through in the latest tutorial:

I had implemented a horizontal CoverFlow view just recently in the live streams, so that should help there. However, I think there are a few things that still need a bit of wrapping up with it. I will probably have to add opacity options in order to make them transparent like that.

Let me know how it goes with the new documentation and such and I'll do my best to answer any further questions and get you what you need. :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Very, very cool @nosh. I just put out a new beta today that adds a bunch of documentation and also a lot more possibilities, so I expect that the new stuff will really help all around.

Changing colors per platform should definitely be possible using the same strategies that I go through in the latest tutorial:

I had implemented a horizontal CoverFlow view just recently in the live streams, so that should help there. However, I think there are a few things that still need a bit of wrapping up with it. I will probably have to add opacity options in order to make them transparent like that.

Let me know how it goes with the new documentation and such and I'll do my best to answer any further questions and get you what you need. :)

Thanks Jason! I just downloaded the beta and I am not seeing the documentation pdf in the themes folder?

I will check out that video to figure out the horizontal cover flow. Appreciate the help.

• Like 1