LaunchBox Community Forums

What do yall think?

smallsbig

ive been working pretty hard on my Launchbox and wanted to see what you all thought since a lot of it is thanks to this great community !

Im especially proud of getting all the videos to play within the AVGN and Classic tv commercials section (over 1500 classic tv commercials dealing with vidja games and arcades and stuff!)

Check it out folks!

god bless

my build

• Like 3

odd i didnt see  anny replies until the mod one lol ...

I currently use a emulator called UNZ paired with rocket launcher and daemon tools and yeah i havent had a problem with that combo yet

Videos can be found throuugh launchbox itself , Emmumovies and Hyperspin , ill have to check on my themes i use several . One im almost sure of is Minimal HD

it all comes down to nostalgia ... that interest is piqued differently for each of us ... My Grandfather had an FM Towns in his game room and I always messed it while we stayed with him on holiday .

also believe it or not if you are truly in it for historical reasons  as well as nostalgic ones , just because a game exists on X , Y , Z system it certainly does not mean its the same game.

Street fighter 2 snes / genesis / arcade

Mortal combat snes / genesis / arcade

pac man atari 2600 / arcade

thousands more examples exist

ALSO just because a game exists on NINTENDO NES as well as FAMICOM does not mean these two games will be the same either .

Its about faithful recreation of a moment in history as much as it is about me sitting at my Poppa's desk messing about with his toys and having fun

• Like 1

On 9/6/2016 at 0:40 PM, lordmonkus said:

Ahh cool. I did some digging on the FM-Towns Marty last night and did get it working through Mess. In the end though it's a system not really worth the effort to emulate since it has no worth while exclusives and anything really good on it is available elsewhere like the PSX, Saturn and Mame.

Now hang on a second there. FM Towns might not have "exclusives" in the sense that the term is typically used, but it did have the definitive versions of several great point and click adventure games (Loom, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, etc.) because it had great sound thanks to CD audio. Luckily most of these versions can be emulated directly through ScummVM. Whether or not the rest of the library is worth setting up a dedicated emulator for, I can't comment on, but I can tell you that if you're into point and click adventure games from that era, there are several that are enhanced in the FM Towns version.

Yeah it had some "definitive" editions of a small handful of games like say Splatterhouse since it was the only home port that was near arcade perfect and the only home port of Truxton / Tatsujin 2 and for it's time that was a big deal.
But other than that for the most part the system didn't have anything that you couldn't get elsewhere.

I also said that "for me" it wasn't worth bothering with, everyone else is more than free to do as they please.

I cannot comment on which is the better emulator for this system, UNZ or Mess since I have not tried UNZ. But I did get a couple of games up and running with Mess and they seemed to play well enough. Mess is probably the easier of the 2 emulators to get setup since smallsbig mentioned using daemon tools to mount cd images for UNZ.

Right, but if you're going to go as far as to say "anything really good on it is available elsewhere" it makes it sound as though those versions are synonymous - they're not.

For people interested in running the FM Towns versions of adventure games, I'd just recommend using ScummVM.