LaunchBox Community Forums

Adding roms also adds Bios files for mame

chito

When i add my mame folder to  LaunchBox, it also adds the bios files as games.

how can i avoid this from happening and how do i clean this up? do i just right click on the bois and select delete? that wont remove the file from my drive right?

if i rescan the folder later on i dont want the bios files to be added again

In LB you can add any files as roms, even if they aren´t in the LBDatabase.

Now the LBDB isn´t complete for all the systems and all the existing romsets, so it can´t check to filter only the roms that are games for this platform.

Everyone must have organized their roms and folders correctly to get the result that you want.

Edited by flores9

Your bios should not be getting added with MAME what did you name your platform while importing Arcade games there should be an extra few forms with checkbox options the option to not import bios files should br checked by default. Finding and removing your Bios files from the ROM set manually would be a pain in the ass and if you ever got a new set and ran the importer again for the new games the bios files would all be readded so that is not a feasible way of dealing with this is in any long term matter. The good thing is there should be no issue. I suggest you delete your games from LB reimport them name the Platform Arcade or give it a custom name and scrape as Arcade when you make MAME the emulator it should ensure that you see the extra form with the MAME specific data on them.

Edited by DOS76

I think the options you mention only appear when you select mame as the emulator, no such options appear when you select rocketlauncher, which launches mame, and i use to manage my whole system.

There was another issue with the "arcade" platform in launchbox not getting recognised correctly in rocketlauncher so it seems there are optimisations and bug fixes left to do with rocketlauncher

Edited by chito

Yeah see that is why I avoid Rocket Launcher like the plaque to get around these issue you could make MAME the emulator during import and then immediately edit the emulator of all the games to Rocket Launcher. If you use MAME as a platform and MAME as an emulator what results do you get.

Huh in Rocket Launcher or LaunchBox in LaunchBox you can name your platform anything you want you just type it in instead of using the drop down.

@Jason Carrcould you possible add MAME as a Platform just to add ease of use for Rocket Launcher users if you were to add that I think it would fix a bunch of these question in the future

i ended up renaming the platform to fix the other bug i spoke of. but still the options to not include bios was not there. it seems to be dependent only on emulator selection, not platform. which makes sense since mame can also be used for console platforms

Okay so in LaunchBox you need Platform=Arcade Emulator=MAME and in Rocket Launcher you need the system to be called MAME. So import the games and use Arcade and MAME then when it is finished switch the emulator from MAME to Rocket Launcher and change the platform name from Arcade to MAME and then every thing should import correctly and then work in Rocket Launcher.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/15/2016 at 6:58 AM, flores9 said:

Hi, you can move your bios files to another folder.

For each platform I have two folders, roms and bios, and I only import to LB the rom folder.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I had a hell of a time figuring out how this is accomplished.  To save the next guy some trouble, here's what you do:

Create a bios folder in your mame directory and move all your bios files there.  Edit the mame.ini file.  Find the line that says "rompath    roms" and change it to "rompath    roms;bios" and save the file.  This tells mame to also look in that new directory for necessary files.  You can do the same for CHD folders as well, if you wish.  If you don't already have a mame.ini file to edit, you can generate a default one by running "mame64 -cc" at the command line.

• 5 years later...

Sorry to resurrect this thread - I noticed that when updating to MAME 0.251 and 0.252, LB imports the machine bios files again (like "10R Rockwell" and "18R: Memory"). Just to make sure I wasn't missing anything I pretended to do another Import MAME Full Set and I couldn't see any option not to import bios files. What have I done wrong?