LaunchBox Community Forums

Daphne - easy way to add to LaunchBox

ckp

Ok guys i figured it out on my own after messing with it.   Unless I missed what you folks were saying, I feel i found another way then what was mentioned.  SO here it is. 

The file for road blaster comes in in a folder called "rb".  Change that to "roadblaster".   In that folder was a txt file called "rb.txt".  Change that to "roadblaster.txt".    Keep in mind in this "rb/roadblaster" folder there was a file called "road blaster.txt".  Please ignore this file. It is different because there is a SPACE in the name.  It is only there to confuse people.    Lastly make sure the Daphne loader is configured to the correct folder.  Once again to be clear.... Rename the folder "rb" to "roadblaster" and rename the file inside from "rb" to "roadblaster".  

it worked for me.  I have no idea why the programmer would of did this and also am not sure how you guys got it to work otherwise.  I hope this helps. 

Joe

Hey @joeivo911, yeah i think i remember that discrepancy for that game and just fixed the naming to work like you have found. good job!

was hoping this step would alert to this:

"Make sure all the quoted games (such as "astron") match the file names of the .txt files inside Daphne\framefile folder but not including the .txt extension. Change the names in the batch file if any don't match your files."

Edited by ckp

yah know CKP it was a pain in the butt. to figure this out.  WHy the hell would the programmer let this go i have no idea.  I just figured out that the galaxyr game should also be updated to "galaxy" folder and "galaxy.txt" for the file inside it to work.  

I will say it feels good to figure this stuff out. 

I feel like I do not play games as much as I collect them and try to figure out how to get them to work! :) 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This is the first Google return so this is the best spot, I thought :)

I had the same problems as others and maybe a new one or two.

• Hiding active windows still has the command window in the foreground but it also puts Daphne behind the black hide screen. The command window has to stay away so the game can be played but Launchbox needs it open because it thinks the command window is the game. We also want focus on the game (to play it).
  • Roadblaster file name changes specified in this thread stopped Roadblaster from working in DaphneLoader. I wanted all the files/games to work in DaphneLoader outside of Launchbox as well as from within.
  • Games bought as discs, put files in a different vldp folder so the paths need to change a little (unless you move all your framefiles to the framefiles folder and change the paths inside them to match. My setup assumes the framefiles reside in the same directory with the sound and video files.

So what to do? I started tweaking ckp's excellent bat script. If you want your framefiles in the framefiles folder, change the modifications in the script for the framefiies to match your paths.

Startup.bat

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 9/15/2016 at 4:43 PM, ckp said:

Download the attached batch file and put it inside your Daphne folder where your daphne.exe is.

Open the batch file with notepad or other text editor.

Make sure all the quoted games (such as "astron") match the file names of the .txt files inside Daphne\framefile folder but not including the .txt extension. Change the names in the batch file if any don't match your files.

At the end of the last line is the resolution setting. It is set for 1920x1080. Change that to match your monitor if you like.

Save the batch file before closing it if you made any changes.

Create a new platform for Daphne.

Create a new emulator called Daphne.

Point the Daphne emulator to the attached batch file called daphnebatch.bat

Put a checkmark on these two emulator settings:

"don't use quotes" and "use filename only without file extension..."

Add platform Daphne in the Associated Platforms tab and set to Default (if you want).

Import your Daphne games (as rom files) into LaunchBox using the game .txt files inside your Daphne\framefile folder, choosing the new Daphne emulator and platform.

That's about it.  Try it out!

I hope this helps some people.

daphnebatch.bat 1.43 kB · 551 downloads

Or copy and paste text below to make your own bat file.

On 9/15/2016 at 5:31 PM, ckp said:

@lordmonkus, not at all. why would i mind??

HI, I see this is an old topic, however after watching ETA Prime's video on Daphne and Launch Box, Reading lots of posts, and seeing this bat file, with some edits I got it all working!

I had to make changes to the file to run different switches in the command for each game (though lordmonkus bat is more streamlined using common commands and just setting the bank switch as a variable, I couldn't get it to work with all the games for some reason):

The top part of the file refers to the name of each framefile then branches to the launch command with options.  I found that if you set all your options in the Daphne Loader, launch a game, then look at the log in the Daphne folder (daphne_log.txt) you can see the actual command the loader is sending, and you can copy that to your bat file.  My Daphne folder is on my root (C:\Daphne)

Here is my bat file, you would need to edit to your installation and preferences:

Note: I found changing the resolution from default 640X480 did NOT seem to make any difference in the image screen quality (setting to 1080 generated an error in the log). The resolution settings only seemed to make a difference if you don't enforce the aspect ratio, and the difference being to fill the whole screen when using 16:10 or 16:9 monitor.  Also setting the precache option seemed to make the games run to fast.  Command line switches  are similar across all the games, but are game and rom specific, for me it was best to run each game out of Daphne and get the correct commands to avoid issues.  Space Ace only worked right with the enhancement rom. Last note - Launch Box miss-identified most of the games, I think based on the framefile text file name, so I had to edit each one and get the right art, and change the platform from arcade to Daphne, but after manually updating the the LB metadata it was fine. 

(DAPHNE.bat)

@echo off
Rem -fullscreen -x 1280 -y 960
Rem CD Daphne

if "%1" == "lair" goto dragon
if "%1" == "dl2-framefile" goto dragon2
if "%1" == "ace" goto space
if "%1" == "rb" goto roadblaster
if "%1" == "cobra" goto cobra
if "%1" == "astron" goto astron
if "%1" == "sdq" goto sdq

goto end

:dragon
daphne.exe dle21 vldp -framefile C:\Daphne\vldp_dl\lair\lair.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir C:\Daphne -bank 0 11011000 -bank 1 00110110 -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -opengl 
goto end

:dragon2
daphne.exe lair2 vldp -framefile C:\Daphne\vldp_dl\lair2\dl2-framefile.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir C:\Daphne -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -opengl
goto end

:space
daphne.exe sae vldp -framefile C:\Daphne\vldp_dl\ace\ace.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir C:\Daphne -bank 0 10011000 -bank 1 01000110 -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -opengl
goto end

:roadblaster
daphne.exe roadblaster vldp -framefile C:\Daphne\vldp_dl\rb\rb.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir C:\Daphne -bank 0 00000000 -bank 1 00000101 -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -opengl 
goto end

:cobra
daphne.exe cobraab vldp -framefile C:\Daphne\vldp_dl\cobra\cobra.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir C:\Daphne -bank 0 00000000 -bank 1 00011000 -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -opengl  
goto end

:astron
daphne.exe astron vldp -framefile C:\Daphne\vldp_dl\astron\astron.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir C:\Daphne -bank 0 00000000 -bank 1 00000000 -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -opengl  
goto end

:sdq
daphne.exe sdq vldp -framefile C:\Daphne\vldp_dl\sdq\sdq.txt -blank_searches -min_seek_delay 1000 -seek_frames_per_ms 20 -homedir C:\Daphne -bank 0 00010000 -bank 1 00000000 -sound_buffer 2048 -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -opengl
goto end

:end
exit

Edited by EMUDL082

• 8 months later...