LaunchBox Community Forums

Steam Theme?

coasternd

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to unearth this dead thread. But it's still a theme I would be very interested in having. For my personally there is something about Steam's Big Picture mode that I really like a lot. I don't tend to browse my game Library by Console in BigBox and it seems like most of the themes people of created rely on on it as the main organization and navigation method. I personally like to just use Show All Games in the Wall View that is similar to the way games are display in Steam Big Picture's main grid. Unfortunately by default it seems that Big Box lays-out the Wall/Grid view specifically for to display vertical game boxes and of course I prefer to use Steam Banners as my primary cover since its easier to get a consistent look across the board for all my games. I considered switching to the traditional vertical box images, but it is extremely hard to find totally clean versions of most covers that don't have all the extra junk on them like the "Rated 'T' For Teen" or the old IBM-PC stickers etc. That's why I prefer to use Steam banners, but most theme's aren't designed for that. Which brings me to I guess a question I have about custom themes... Is it even possible to create a custom Grid view to change the spacing to Steam Banner sizes? Every theme I have ever downloaded the designer of the theme has not touched the Grid View template at all and BigBox just reverts to the default theme's design for this view.

Anyway, thanks for reading my rant, and maybe me unearthing this old thread might get someone else interested in working on a Steam Big Picture theme...

16 hours ago, coasternd said:

Sorry to unearth this dead thread. But it's still a theme I would be very interested in having. For my personally there is something about Steam's Big Picture mode that I really like a lot. I don't tend to browse my game Library by Console in BigBox and it seems like most of the themes people of created rely on on it as the main organization and navigation method. I personally like to just use Show All Games in the Wall View that is similar to the way games are display in Steam Big Picture's main grid. Unfortunately by default it seems that Big Box lays-out the Wall/Grid view specifically for to display vertical game boxes and of course I prefer to use Steam Banners as my primary cover since its easier to get a consistent look across the board for all my games. I considered switching to the traditional vertical box images, but it is extremely hard to find totally clean versions of most covers that don't have all the extra junk on them like the "Rated 'T' For Teen" or the old IBM-PC stickers etc. That's why I prefer to use Steam banners, but most theme's aren't designed for that. Which brings me to I guess a question I have about custom themes... Is it even possible to create a custom Grid view to change the spacing to Steam Banner sizes? Every theme I have ever downloaded the designer of the theme has not touched the Grid View template at all and BigBox just reverts to the default theme's design for this view.

Anyway, thanks for reading my rant, and maybe me unearthing this old thread might get someone else interested in working on a Steam Big Picture theme...

Look for Steam Rom Manager ;)

16 hours ago, coasternd said:

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but I designed BIGFLIX with steam grid in mind as the main aesthetic of the theme, there are some views that only works with steam grid banners and others that works with vertical DVD boxarts. I designed the Wallview to support the various console boxarts including odd shaped like SNES and PSX, it also supports steam grids and it might be the closest you can get to a steam-like view so give it a go.

Here's some screenshots to illustrate my point:

Wallview with Steam grid

Desktop_Screenshot_2018_05.28_-_03_16_29_90.thumb.png.8bdf4b20c62c69a12805c67bd173019c.pngDesktop_Screenshot_2018_05.28_-_03_16_42_90.thumb.png.cb5b2b4170ab150009c02b2f15af31a6.png

Wallview with vertical DVD boxart

Desktop_Screenshot_2018_05.23_-_01_58.14_58.thumb.png.f7535f475c61cc47d4a9bf79a45e8e0c.png

Wallview with odd shaped boxart

Desktop_Screenshot_2018_05.14_-_03_28_25_72.thumb.png.3877a92fabd875b688ce7f9d1622eea8.pngThis can be simply achieved by binding the "Switch Image Type" to a controller or keyboard key from the options menu within Bigbox

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CriticalCid said:

My Aeon MQ7 theme also features a modified wall view. It was designed to fit with all types of boxes so I'm not sure if it's anything what you're looking for

image.thumb.png.cf765c0c4b11434b1d7cf41d75a44d58.png

Top view looks pretty much like steam, you just have to change colors a bit. After playing with futurestate theme i decided to go with it, I modified wheels removed some stuff that i didn like and change the colors and I like it so didn go all the way and created my theme. You can check it out how it looks like now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S_Q3wJpGxk (this is slightly older version), in this video you can see that there is no more game box tab in bottom left corner of game menu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B7UlPm1ddc&t=102s   I really started to like futurestate theme and really fits me well. 

3 hours ago, CriticalCid said:

My Aeon MQ7 theme also features a modified wall view. It was designed to fit with all types of boxes so I'm not sure if it's anything what you're looking for

image.thumb.png.cf765c0c4b11434b1d7cf41d75a44d58.png

i personally love this theme, only issue are the colors =/ not a fan of Orange / Yellow and the fonts.. if those could be change it would be perfect !!

1 hour ago, Cookz718 said:

i personally love this theme, only issue are the colors =/ not a fan of Orange / Yellow and the fonts.. if those could be change it would be perfect !!

you probably can fix that by yourself, I use C++ notepad and just open wheels or whatever i need from theme and change it in there, just backup original one in case you screw up something so you can always go back to original.

30 minutes ago, Mile Panic said:

you probably can fix that by yourself, I use C++ notepad and just open wheels or whatever i need from theme and change it in there, just backup original one in case you screw up something so you can always go back to original.

im not a super pro at that lol but i guess i may give that a shot

Hey there,

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess the issue I have with the wall views is the spacing when you use Steam Banners instead of boxes. There is all that dead space between each row. I don't imagine that any of those theme's can be modified too much to accommodate the spacing for Steam Banner's without breaking the view for everyone else that uses Box art instead.

22 hours ago, coasternd said:

Hey there,

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess the issue I have with the wall views is the spacing when you use Steam Banners instead of boxes. There is all that dead space between each row. I don't imagine that any of those theme's can be modified too much to accommodate the spacing for Steam Banner's without breaking the view for everyone else that uses Box art instead.

i would just change the cover to Squares (like PS1 / Dreamcast Cases)

On 5/31/2018 at 4:09 PM, coasternd said:

Hey there,

I'm sure you can easily fix that in C++ notepad, just drag that wheel into notepad and see in code where is position of those banners, and play with numbers, just punch number overwrite original wheel go into  big box mode and see what got changed. That will give you an idea should you increase numbers or decrease. For tabs and banner colors you can change that too, do the same thing, maybe there is folder with images somewhere in theme folders that you can edit in Photoshop and make it different color. That's what i did with future state theme. I just opened images that came with theme  and changed from gray and dark colors to blue shades.  I'm not coder by any means  I just play with it, and was able to makes some changes. Also before you overwrite your wheels with changes you made in C++ notepad make sure to backup original ones so you can go back if you screw up something, I mean you can always download theme again I guess.

Edited by Mile Panic
  • Like 1