LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame Tutorial for n00bs

Lordmonkus

1 hour ago, sLpFhaWK said:

So I got launch box installed and I have been using the Bezel Project to get bezels for all the systems, so far I have NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, NDS, and Sega CD and MAME, all work but Sega CD, GBA, NDS and MAME. I've done all the same thing to get the others working, and just by looking at the config I have no idea what to do to get them to work. Is it crucial, no, but I do like seeing the bezels.

The issue with MAME is there is so many different packs to get, and I don't know what games are which pack, i tried to get them all but one pack failed and it totally aborted the process. I will try again but if it happens then I don't know what more to do, I know this isn't the place for it, but I figured there might be people who are familiar or had a similar issue. I don't really wanna start a new topic for this since it's not launchbox related, but seeing one of the MAME packs aren't working I thought that might be ok here.

Lastly I have an Ultimarc IPAC ultimate board. I have it setup to be default MAME setup, so Player 1 is up down left right ctrl alt shift space z and x, but I noticed retroarch uses a different config. Would it make more sense to swap RetroArch to mame's config, or mame to retroarch? I'd like them to be the same on everything I use just to make it easier to remember.

Thanks!

Are you trying to run those systems under MAME, and/or Retroarch?

Every console is retroarch. Only arcade games are on mame. I’m going to get more light gun games eventually like house if the dead other time crisis on Saturn and psx but I wanna get what I have working first. All games launch and play correctly it’s just the bezels aren’t showing. All Roms are in 1 folder broken out into system’s 

13 hours ago, dragon57 said:

Are you trying to run those systems under MAME, and/or Retroarch?

Sorry, I couldnt quote the post on mobile so you might not've seen my reply, but I am running all the retro systems in retroarch. and only mame games on mame. NDS, SEGA CD and GBA aren't working for retro.

11 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

Search for mame git io, that will take you to the official mame set site, download the set you want and the latest version of mame.

I will look into that, thank you.

edit to add: So I searched, and I see a tool to convert make bezels to retroarch, but thats not what I am trying to do, the tool si https://cosmo0.github.io/mame-retroarch-bezel-converter/ is that what you ment?

Edited by sLpFhaWK

13 hours ago, sLpFhaWK said:

Every console is retroarch. Only arcade games are on mame. I’m going to get more light gun games eventually like house if the dead other time crisis on Saturn and psx but I wanna get what I have working first. All games launch and play correctly it’s just the bezels aren’t showing. All Roms are in 1 folder broken out into system’s 

There is only two things that can cause bezels to not show, rom names not matching the cfg files in the bezel core directories (...\retroarch\config\<core name>), or the core related directory itself in the config directory doesn't exist.

29 minutes ago, sLpFhaWK said:

I will look into that, thank you.

edit to add: So I searched, and I see a tool to convert make bezels to retroarch, but thats not what I am trying to do, the tool si https://cosmo0.github.io/mame-retroarch-bezel-converter/ is that what you ment?

I thought you were having troubles with getting games working in Mame. This thread is about getting Mame games working and bezels are outside the scope of it. Also, I don't use bezels so I cannot help you with them.

46 minutes ago, dragon57 said:

There is only two things that can cause bezels to not show, rom names not matching the cfg files in the bezel core directories (...\retroarch\config\<core name>), or the core related directory itself in the config directory doesn't exist.

I didn't name any of the roms, and surely i can't see 3 of the 7 systems i have testing the random games i did would match. can you give me a location of where the bezels would be, so that i can compare and try testing one if i rename it, but wouldn't the config have to be edited as well? and  i didn't look over the github but would they have a recommendation on which "romset" to use with proper naming?

43 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I thought you were having troubles with getting games working in Mame. This thread is about getting Mame games working and bezels are outside the scope of it. Also, I don't use bezels so I cannot help you with them.

No, I know that is what the thread is for, and i even mentioned that in my post but since it was sort of related and albeit the wrong place I figured I would ask just incase someone else did have an issue that had it resolved.

12 minutes ago, sLpFhaWK said:

I didn't name any of the roms, and surely i can't see 3 of the 7 systems i have testing the random games i did would match. can you give me a location of where the bezels would be, so that i can compare and try testing one if i rename it, but wouldn't the config have to be edited as well? and  i didn't look over the github but would they have a recommendation on which "romset" to use with proper naming?

No, I know that is what the thread is for, and i even mentioned that in my post but since it was sort of related and albeit the wrong place I figured I would ask just incase someone else did have an issue that had it resolved.

sLpFhaWK, let's take this to another thread, or Personal message so we don't clutter this one.