LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame Tutorial for n00bs

Lordmonkus

You will have to go into the mame.ini and disable them.

Look for either hlsl_enable 1 and change to 0

or look for 

video    bgfx and set it to video    auto

If neither of that works then I don't know what to tell you, it sounds like you downloaded someone elses build of Mame with the scanline stuff enabled.

• 1 month later...

For the MAME roms to work in the Emulators first thing, the names of Winrar file and the files inside of Winrar should match. In every website where you should download the games, it tells you what emulator you need, maybe in the past, that was a problem finding the right emulators to play the right game of *link removed* . For now, I'm playing Metal Slug X on Tiger Arcade Emulator for Android Devices.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys
I have successfully imported the latest full 211 MAME Romset using the default options (described in video guide) however some games are not showing.

Specifically Pang. It's not a bootleg or clone so would it be the region perhaps (I chose World).

Just wondering if I have to do a full import again or whether I can change the options of what is displayed in this section.

I am using Mame.exe rather than the UI version. Works fine except for the missing games.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Moto said:

How do you fix it?

I try to download the MAME ROM's but didn't work, so I'm searching for other options.

I found out that the ROMs I thought were "missing" were under different names. In previous launchers I showed all ROMs bit Launchbox tidies this up quite well.

If it helps ensure that the version of MAME and the Romset you have "acquired" are the same version.

You can also use a tool called clrmamepro to check the validity of the romset. Just YouTube if you need instructions.

Good luck

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, SierraFOOL said:

Hi, thank you for your tutorial. I have update my mame roms to 0.214. but i have 4 double dragons and other home computer systems like c-64, c-128 in my mame list. how can i quick delete this entries in my lauchbox... 5100 items are in the list.

MAME-0214_have_merged.txt 410.74 kB · 2 downloads

Hi

The only way I found to avoid the crap appearing is to use the Default LB options when importing the files. This means all textboxes checked.

All I do is prioritise "World" (I think. It was a while ago) as the Default region as I am in the UK.

Also ensure that games of the same name are combined (an option a little later on I think) to avoid all the different sets for the same game.

You can always set a specific version (e.g. World or 4-player Version) of a game to be the default as well for individual games. LB also gives you the option in Big Box to launch a specific version.

You could also try the "Consolidate Roms" option. That should clear out the multiple double dragons into one.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have this issue where I press select start to exit (using retroarch) but sometimes this just kills the game and then brings up the mame main menu. 

I was in the general controls and made the close UI to just use Esc, but that did not seem to work. 

What can I do to guarantee a full exit upon using select start? 

I found personally that with START+SELECT to exit games it caused me issues. For example 4 players adding MAME credits or Pressing start could possibly quit games.

I use both thumbsticks in for that.

I would also recommend using MAME.exe to emulate MAME rather than the Retroarch Core but that is up to you of course.

36 minutes ago, turbofeet said:

I found personally that with START+SELECT to exit games it caused me issues. For example 4 players adding MAME credits or Pressing start could possibly quit games.

I use both thumbsticks in for that.

I would also recommend using MAME.exe to emulate MAME rather than the Retroarch Core but that is up to you of course.

I have it set up with rocketlauncher that uses mame.exe but I want my shaders from retroarch. 

But just changing emulator would also not solve the issue here, nothing would be learned. Can't have that. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/28/2016 at 6:31 PM, Lordmonkus said:

Put the full  path to where you have your roms located, for example mine looks like this:
rompath                   "H:\Emulation\Roms\Mame 177\"

Why does this need to be a fully qualified path?  I've been using a relative path, and it seems ok?

17 minutes ago, purplebot said:

Why does this need to be a fully qualified path?  I've been using a relative path, and it seems ok?

Fully qualified is only required if the roms are on a different drive than MAME itself, otherwise relative paths are fine.