LaunchBox Community Forums

In game menu for bigbox\launchbox

StuDentBR

I was wondering that would be cool if bigbox had and in game menu which could shown as we press one or a combination of buttons like in automation, for exemple like press start + select ( or any combination on joystick) and a menu would show up with these (or other) options: 

quit game,

volume up and down,

show bigobox,

save state (which in many emulators is made with F1 and some like retroarch can choose a button for this)

load state (which in many emulators is made with F3 and some like retroarch can choose a button for this)

Is that possible ?

MEnu for bigbox.jpg

Possible, most certainly, but doable? Development of stuff like this, that hooks in to various different emulators and programs is a cool feature, but actually very hard to do and maintain. I believe there is also a BitBucket feature request for something like this too. Also, most emulators are not the same when it comes to the buttons they use, and if RA is the main emulator you'd like to use something like this with, then that function does exist for RA. I always dislike giving answers like this, but I don't want to just blindly tell you yes and have you or anyone else expect something like this pop up soon. Jason wants to do it all and create it all, every request is special for us, but something like this is hard to do.

What all would you expect from something like this? Just what you've listed? I also apologize if that response is a downer response, but I don't want to lie to anyone about the the possibility of something.

Well i don't know anything about software devolopment, but in my mind i did not realize that it woud  be that hard to do it, i mean most of the fuctions already exists in automation,  i thought it was a good idea was to put them in a menu that would show up like the one i sent the picture when you press a combination of buttons, and the save and load state function it could be something customizable (you could choose which button would do what but most like to be F1 and F3 since many emulators use this) these functions could be customizable by plataform...

At least the menu could begin with the functions that are already present in automation, and just make a menu with "shortcuts" for then. And after then give more customizable options in automation menu like make customizable commands.

Quit (Alt+F4)

Continue (Esc or anything that just close the menu)

Volume + OR - (their respective command)

Save State (F1 or a user specified command)

Load State (F3 or user specified command)

you know xpadder ? It could work like this for the customizable command part.

Edited by StuDentBR

A menu that pops up, sure, in comparison that is not that hard, but if we were to hook in to different games and emulators, then its a lot harder than it should be. So maybe my mind jumped to the most difficult situation. xD

If it's just a menu it can remind the user which buttons they've assigned to controller automation (this could be good functionality extension to the BigBox second screen experience for multi-screen users), since this system is more or less what you're asking about, minus the save state functionality. However, if you want LaunchBox to pass specific commands to an emulator, then the emulator would more than likely need to have focus, then a window that just pops up may not be the solution after all, which then would probably mean hooking in to display a menu and keep functionality intact (I could be over thinking it like usual). It just depends on the route. Controller automation is a lot like Xpadder but also utilizes AutoHotKey like scripts (if not directly AHK scripts) all sans a menu that tells you what's what. Obviously not the same scope as Xpadder as it's all about taking keyboard commands so that you can play games with no support for controllers, or to be able to map some common functions too. With Controller Automation and the very similar function within RetroArch (There is a hold button function that you can then use to do tons of other functions like save stating), I may be lost as to the why. The only difference here is that the request is for a menu, right? I also want to make sure I am understanding you as well.

I just re-read your second post after writing that and I do think I understand more. It's like when you press F1 in RetroArch and have access to all those functions, except here all it is are shortcuts to the button combinations. With controller automation and built in emulator functions that can be performed for a controller (in this case RA), I am back to the question of why. Something like this does make me very very curious as hooking in to games and applications has been requested for a very long time to do various other features. Some people even asked if we could have a Steam In-Game like UI for things. That would be the only scenario where I think we could have a user activate the menu, use their controller to go down to any option, select it, and the function gets performed. I don't even think that Steam In-Game UI does that, I think they just have internal calls to other applications, like opening the Steam browser or their music player. What's throwing me off is the menu... what is functionally being done is already being done, but transitioning that in to a menu instead...

Sorry if that's not what you expected. X_X I feel bad, it seems like I am just saying no, and I don't want you to think that I am just taking the idea and throwing it out; on the contrary. I am confused as to the why though. If anyone has any examples of something like this I would very much like to see them, this is something that is a curiosity to me now.

Ok after think about these things i see the save and load state could be a bit hard to do because each emulator has it is own shortcut (epsxe is F1 and F3, PPSSPP is F2 and F4), but it would not be possible to make diferent controller automation settings for each plataform ? 

Anyways it would be nice if we could have more options in controle automation, i mean some custom slots where could choose which keyboard button or combination of them we wanted to be peform and we use specific button on conttoller automation.  

Some that would be good: ESC (to exit some emulators), F1 (which could be useful for retroarch to show menu and in many emulators save state) , F2 (save state on ppspp), F3 (loads state in many emulators), F4 (load states on ppspp), Alt+Enter (toggle full screen on and off) and so on....

The menu thing when i thought about it it was just a menu with shortcuts for already existing and controller automation functions but i understand what you said that it would be a bit hard to alternate focus between the menu and the emulator or game. But that would be nice anyways :D

What do you think ?

Well first, thank you for not getting mad or taking my post the wrong way, we certainly love discussion above anything else here, that's how we've come to some really awesome features. I was afraid my post was far too negative, but I certainly wanted to have the discussion.

Controller Automation per platform or per emulator actually makes a ton of sense. I then wonder if Jason can make it so that you can put in a custom button for Controller Automation. I would not use RetroArch as an example because like I said, they have a controller automation type thing already integrated and you can map your hold button (Like Controller Automation), then utilize pretty much all of their functions that way. But an emulator like say, PCSX2.  Set a global hold button, you enable controller automation for that emulator, (otherwise it can use the global controller automation the way it's set up now), you tell CA within LaunchBox that custom button (save state in the scenario) is F1, custom button 2 (save load) is F3, custom button 3 (save slot switch) is F2, then you map them to the buttons you want.

You actually don't need to set Esc for controller automation, "Close out of active window" does exactly the same thing, but is actually more powerful as it is using a script to close the active window. Some emulators have a dialogue that pops up to confirm and you can either then use the button combination again on that popup to then have it all close, or some emulators let you disable that message. So that function is already built in and works with pretty much everything right now.

So forgetting the menu (though I still do think that would be awesome too), controller automation expansion for custom set keys and controller automation per emulator basis is probably a very good idea! If you'd like to submit these two ideas in to the BitBucket they would make welcome additions. If you do submit them don't forget to vote on them. The BitBucket is the easiest way to track requests and bugs.

• 1 month later...

Well it would be something like that i would like to see in Launchbox/Bigbox, i did not knew that it already existed with rocket launcher maybe we can see this natively in Launchbox someday, for i think i will do some search in how to use rocket launcher in big box, did you already done a video tutorial abou this (how to use rocket launcher with launchbox) @SentaiBrad ? I really like your tutorials they've helped me many times.

Pause_Save_State_Menu.png

Edited by StuDentBR

You really don't need to learn how to use RL and LB together you just have to learn how to use RL setting it up in LB is as easy as making it your platforms emulator.

There are a few things to it though like I don't think RL accepts custom platforms and you are handcuffed using there naming system.

Edited by DOS76

Yeah the way RocketLauncher achieves all of its extra functionality is through its "modules" and that is something I really dislike. It really locks you into a very specific way of doing things and requires a great deal of extra maintenance on the back end especially when new emulators or even new versions of emulators come out and changes how it does things.

1 minute ago, lordmonkus said:

Yeah, you are right it's not very user friendly at all and for me the tradeoffs in usability and the limitations of the modules make it not worth it for me. That's just me though.

Do you know another way to use bezels or borders i do not know what is the right name, besides using rocket launcher ? I would like to see my ds games to look like this (see the image) when i launch them on launchbox.

maxresdefault.jpg

I created a tutorial of sorts a couple weeks ago that shows how to integrate Rocketlauncher with Bigbox. The tutorial is pretty basic, but it should help get you started. Simply Austin has done some tutorials as well. The RetroHumanoid guy has some cool Rocketlauncher art that he has made available to download but I haven't seen any tutorials from him yet. Learning how to work with the fade screens and pause menus can be a bit daunting at first because there are so many options but if you like to mess around endlessly setting things up, you should have no trouble! :D

20 hours ago, StuDentBR said:

Thank you i will definatelly check this out later, is there a nds border for retroarch ? I am having a hard time looking for it

I think I'm using that same bezel and background art on my setup. I couldn't get Retroarch to play nice however and stuck with DeSmuME via Rocketlauncher for the emulator.

Edited by jaythompson

7 minutes ago, jaythompson said:

I think I'm using that same bezel and background art on my setup. I couldn't get Retroarch to play nice however and stuck with DeSmuME via Rocketlauncher for the emulator.

I watched your tutorial it helped me to get started with rocket launcher, i managed to launch the game but the i really do know how to the set the bezels, and i thought it would be easier to try it in retroarch.

i actually found a overlay for NDS in retroarch but it does not work very well i could not manage to fit the screen properly in the overlay...i actually would like to try to make it work in RA because seems like you can emulate the pointer for touch with one analog stick, and i do not know if that would work on the standalone. 

2 minutes ago, StuDentBR said:

emulate the pointer for touch with one analog stick, and i do not know if that would work on the standalone. 

Yeah I can't remember if it does or not. I use a cabinet that has a trackball so it may be that I used that for the pointer when I tested it. At work right now so I can't test.

I couldn't get the screens to line up properly in Retroarch either. I think something is broken in the newer builds that prevent this. There is a screen gap function that I couldn't get to work no matter what I tried.

If you get the base media pack for Rocketlauncher, I think it has that bezel art. The art would go in the rocketlauncher\media\bezels\Nintendo DS\_default folder. Then it is simply a matter of turning the bezel on in the RLUI.

55 minutes ago, jaythompson said:

Yeah I can't remember if it does or not. I use a cabinet that has a trackball so it may be that I used that for the pointer when I tested it. At work right now so I can't test.

I couldn't get the screens to line up properly in Retroarch either. I think something is broken in the newer builds that prevent this. There is a screen gap function that I couldn't get to work no matter what I tried.

If you get the base media pack for Rocketlauncher, I think it has that bezel art. The art would go in the rocketlauncher\media\bezels\Nintendo DS\_default folder. Then it is simply a matter of turning the bezel on in the RLUI.

i have just tried to donwload the base media pack from launchbox, but the link is broken...