LaunchBox Community Forums

Update: Alternate Titles

Vlansix

Hi guys,

Alternate titles are now online. Here's a quick 101:

- You may add any amount of alternate titles to any game, either through the "Add New Game" page or the "Details" page. Please note, you are restricted to adding one name at a time through the details page for the moment. 

- Names do not necessarily require regions assigned to them, but we encourage you to use them :).

- To delete a name, simply erase the textbox and send it in for moderation.

Now, have fun, and lemme know how it works :).

Good job alex, I just made a change but I found it a bit confusing.

It looks like the region field doesn't belong with the naming field. Like 2 Seperate Items. 

In the new game page it's much clearer.

Keep up the good work and hopefully some regional release devs and publishers :P

• Like 1

This is great, good jorb!

When moderating changes, any chance we could see which game is getting the alternate title, just like when moderating changes to everything else. At the moment you can see the alternate name and region, but not the actual db entry which is getting the name.

Edit: Not sure if related, but I'm moderating a new game entry and it has one alternate name which is fine, but there are four separate "Images" sections and they all have the same pictures. Haven't seen that before.

Edited by Jakatsu
  • Like 1

Ah ok, I see now why Alex asked me about the "facing" name, it's more for sorting purposes. I would tend to agree, for games that span multiple regions the NTSC / North American release name would probably be favorable. Any region exclusives would obviously use their only name. In the rare case that a game was released in Japan and Europe, but not N. America, I would say that the English name would prevail? In terms of a Japanese only game, the Romanji name would take precedent over the Japanese accurate name (Can we even display Japanese character Alex? xD). Past that, I would be unsure what to say. A Japanese and Korean only game for example, do we just prefer the Japanese title? So in all cases, The English name over any other region, with NTSC/ North American first, then European next? After that, the Japanese name preferred as the top?

• Like 1

Sorry guys, had to go out for a bit. 

Anyways, @Jakatsu, Good catch! Thought I'd seen to that before deploying it. Apparently not :P. I'll add that to my todo list.

@SentaiBrad - Completely agree with you there :). EDIT: As for japanese characters, it's not impossible, but it wouldn't be the most awesome thing to code for ;). Using Romanji names would be preferable at the moment.

Edited by Vlansix
  • Like 1

Guys,

Something seems to be wrong with non-English (namely, Cyrillic) characters in the alternate game names.

For example, Evil Islands:

http://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/13903

The alternate Russian name should read "Проклятые земли" (it really should, I filled it in myself), but it says "???????? ?????" instead.

Probably a tiny bug, but still :)

2 hours ago, Evil_Orko said:

Just wanted to say thank you for working on the Games DB.   So far it is the best scraper, and it isn't even done yet.  I've been contributing (over 500 accepted with 0 rejected!) and moderating and will continue to do so.  

So you're the game gear Guy huh? xD

7 hours ago, Evil_Orko said:

Just wanted to say thank you for working on the Games DB.   So far it is the best scraper, and it isn't even done yet.  I've been contributing (over 500 accepted with 0 rejected!) and moderating and will continue to do so.  

Thanks! Jason and I are working pretty hard to push it into Beta as fast as possible. We also think its the best database ;). 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

We need that launchbox uses this alternate titles for scrapping and merge roms. Many people are still uploading duplicated roms because the scrapping system only uses sorting titles and fails with diacritics and others. I'm really sick of deleting again and again games like Final Fantasy VI Chavez I and II, Another world and others that are already in the snes database with their US sorting title. And seeing over and over the pokemon pokémon naming changes or 1080 snownoarding. Please priorityze this, the lack of this for years are turning into a serious pain in the ass for moderators.

• Like 1

Actually Freestate, the Database has already been updated quite a lot, some of this stuff just needs to be rolled out, and some already has. When adding a game it now searches the alt names, and they're even working on LB reading the alt names. We've been posting changelogs for it on the Discord as well.