LaunchBox Community Forums

What are you playing at the moment?

Charco

Sorry to bump an old thread but I had to come on and mention two games I am playing at the moment; Shovel Knight and Limbo. Really enjoying both games, Shovel Knight is right up my alley, I love the pixel art, the music, and the homages to various old school games. I can see Mega Man, Duck Tales, Castlevania, and Mario 3 in there.

Limbo is a game I had never gotten round to playing even though I had heard all about it on release and was aware of the positive reviews that it had received. A really good platform/puzzle game that I found very hard to put down. Similar to Shovel Knight, whenever you die in the game it is your fault and not due to poor game design or bad controls. You just have to learn each time from your mistakes and there is definitely that elusive "just one more go" feeling that every games developer wants to create.

Two great games in my opinion.

@Charco If you are into Shovel Knight then i recommenced checking out Dead Cells on steam. Its in early access at the moment but you wouldn't really know as it's pretty feature complete at the moment. Its got that pixel art look, but plays like a dream. It's a rogue-lite style game and is wonderful. Here is a quick look Giant Bomb did.

6 minutes ago, Zombeaver said:

I can wholeheartedly second Dead Cells. I've played a bunch of it. It's really damn good. It's a bit like if SOTN, Rogue Legacy, and Dark Souls had a mutant baby.

Yeah loving it, and that is exactly how i would describe it also. :) It just feels "right" control wise, if you die it was your fault and not the games, as it should be. Brilliant game.

Persona 4 on the ps2 emulator

seriously I LOVE my launchbox - so far ive finished these which I just never got around to when I was younger such as Shenmue 1, Shenmue 2,

I haven't touched steam almost all year and have really fallen out of love with current gaming. the ONLY game I'm looking forward to this year on pc is SuperDimensional Neptunia Vs Sega Hard Girls......................and that's it..................nothing else looks any good these days

Limbo completed, really enjoyed it. I liked how the ending of the game is left open to interpretation. I might have a play of Inside sometime, it's pretty much a spiritual successor to Limbo.

Now back to Shovel Knight.

playing Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition. About 2 hours put in and around 20% completion rate. Enjoying it so far. Will try to see it all the way through.

It's been a distraction from Sky Force Anniversay, which I've been playing pretty hard for the past few weeks. Trying to 100% that one is tough...

Lately I've been playing a couple things:

Wasteland 2
Pillars of Eternity
Diluvion
Grim Dawn
Path of Exile
Brigador
Victor Vran

Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity have been my video game D&D fix lately. While Pillars more obviously fits that description on the surface, make no mistake - Wasteland 2 is most assuredly a D&D dungeon crawler with a post-apocalyptic coat of paint. As a D&D nut, I'm totally fine with that. Both of these games are definitely a huge time sink/investment though.

Diluvion is a really neat submarine exploration/combat/survival game that I'm really enjoying - I feel like we don't have enough cool submarine games. Treasures of the Deep was one of my favorites on PSX. Diluvion looks and sounds really good, and it's got some neat RPG mechanics mixed in with your submarine/crew management. It's really atmospheric too.

Grim Dawn and Path of Exile have been my "I'm bored and I don't know what I want to play, let's put on a podcast or some OTR and turn the old brain off for a couple hours" games lately. Path of Exile really pissed me off the other day though so I'll probably be stepping away from it for a bit - I have a level 81 Ranger and the game can be kindof frustrating on Merciless. I feel like the death penalty in that game is just way too high when you get high in levels - you can lose hours worth of experience in a single death, and it's kindof left me in limbo at 81 because it takes a really long time to level at that point, even without any deaths. The way the difficulty spikes on some of the bosses is kindof obscene too. Grim Dawn is a comparatively "relaxing" experience - I just hit 70 on my main character (a Druid) and am working on finishing up the campaign on Elite difficulty.

Brigador is a bit like a mix between Future Cop L.A.P.D. and Crusader: No Remorse. It's pretty fun to drop in for short play sessions doing freelance missions and unlocking new equipment. You have a number of different objectives per mission but they generally amount to "demolish everything". It's got a great soundtrack by Makeup and Vanity Set of which I was already a huge fan before playing the game, so that's an added bonus.

Victor Vran I just started last night and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's another hack and slash ARPG but unlike some it actually plays really well with a controller. It's still early at this point but so far I'm liking it even more than I expected.

• Like 1

I've been playing a translated version of 'Front Mission: Gunhazard' for Super Famicom.  It's a rather unique game, I'd say.  It's a Role Playing/Run N Gun side-scroller.  Much different than the strategy games that the series is known for.  It kind of reminds me of 'Cybernator'.  

9 hours ago, Charco said:

Continuing on with my "indie games I haven't played yet" I'm currently enjoying Fez. Is it just me, or do we all prefer shorter games the older we get? :)

@Charco, have you ever tried 'Guacamelee'?  I loved Shovel Knight for it's homages, too.  Guacamelee has tons of homages, especially in the backgrounds.  If I had to describe the kind of game it is, it's a Metroidvania/Beat Em Up.  I had a lot of fun with that game.

2 minutes ago, MetalVinnie said:

@Charco, have you ever tried 'Guacamelee'?  I loved Shovel Knight for it's homages, too.  Guacamelee has tons of homages, especially in the backgrounds.  If I had to describe the kind of game it is, it's a Metroidvania/Beat Em Up.  I had a lot of fun with that game.

Yeah and Dust a Elysian Tale is like that as well metroidvania beatemup, but with proper long combo's like 300 hit combo's lol, it also has crafting and quests, and is awesome. Oh and it looks absolutely gorgeous.

18 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah and Dust a Elysian Tale is like that as well metroidvania beatemup, but with proper long combo's like 300 hit combo's lol, it also has crafting and quests, and is awesome. Oh and it looks absolutely gorgeous.

I own this game as well. Played it a bit.  I do like the cartoony graphics.  Got it with a bunch of games in a Humblebundle deal.