LaunchBox Community Forums

Unable to load Colecovision

drtechnolust

Loading console games through the Mame core in Retroarch is very tricky and not something I recommend. Personally I recommend using stand alone Mess which Brad has done videos for, just not for the Colecovision itself I don't think.

It is possible through the Retroarch Mame core but you really have to jump through hoops to make it work. It is not just a simple load rom with the Mame core, there is a lot of specific folder and file creation steps involved.

Your settings in Launchbox look right and if the game is loading straight through Retroarch it should work in theory. But I have had very little luck with using the Mame core in RA to run stuff outside of arcade games. I have gotten them to work but using that guide I posted from their forums. I just use stand alone Mess for systems like the Colecovision, it's just so much easier.

I see the -L and -C commands, but do you have the proper Intellivision MESS/MAME commands after that? Also, do you have a custom config in the config path? If not, then the -C command will also cause more issues as well, unless you have the custom config you are trying to load. Should be "intv -cart" after the whole -C command, without the quotes. You can also try intv2. It also looks like Intellivision has BIOS. For the MAE / MESS Core, you need to put the BIOS in a more specific place. Depending on the command you use, create a "intv" or "intv2" folder inside of your ../RetroArch/System/ folder. Then drop the "intv.zip" BIOS in that folder. If you have a MAME Rom set from at least .174 onward, most (if not all) Software list BIOS are in the full MAME Rom pack.

7 hours ago, SentaiBrad said:

I think that is it, but I am unsure. Also, I think I got turned around here, but wasn't the op asking for Colecovision? xD Apply the same steps as above, but replace the folder name with coleco, and the command line should be coleco -cart.

@SentaiBrad Yes, I was asking about Colecovision and I have applied your suggestions but it still does not launch from launchbox. I have all the bios in the correct location if not then I wouldn't be able to open Retroarch load the core and game without error. 

• 1 year later...
On 11/27/2016 at 7:50 PM, Maddoc1007 said:

@drtechnolust Thanks for letting me know good job i kept my standalone i just tried it and indeed it is broke must have been one of the latest nightlies that broke it as they were working fine for me when i set them up along time ago but not now only going to a blue screen.

hey guys,

I just imported my ColecoVision roms today using RetroArch 1.7.0 with the bluemsx_libretro core and the games are working as expected.
As instructed in the RetroArchRoot\info\bluemsx_libretro.info file, the libretro port of blueMSX requires the BIOS files from full standalone package inside the System\Machines directory and media database files into System\Databases directory. There is also some good information about button mapping in that info file.