LaunchBox Community Forums

Guide: Cheap Arcade Light Guns with Touchemote

On 10/30/2022 at 12:33 PM, Trihy said:

Anyone got wiimotes working on hotd remake?

I can make 1 controller work using mouse emulation in touchmote. But 2 player is a no go.

Used the 2 player patch for sinden but when configuring pressing F1 and setting player 1 and 2 nothing happens. It says press trigger on controller but doesn't do anything.

The only one working for 2 player is using 360 emulated axis like pointer, but works pretty bad on this game.

I don't like touchmote because I think it's a wonky solution to try and use mode 4 with two touch motes and mame (for example).  The software is no longer maintained too.

Ideally, you should have two dolphin bar, both in mode 2 and one touchmote paired to each bar.  One of the bars is hidden so its lights don't show.

It could have been a great solution, but unfortunately there's no calibration software for the dolphin bar.  Aiming at center screen is not pointing at the center of the screen, but directly at the dolphin bar.  So that throws off the Y axis aim.  The further back you stand, the better it is, but it's still not great.  The above/below switch has no effect in mode 2.  In game gun calibration for some games may make it better, but I haven't tried.  

Rob

• Like 1

Hi. Sadly I dont have a dolphin bar. And it´s way too expensive here.

I´d noticed that some wii games like hotd 2 & 3 has IR calibration. After doing the calibration, you can disable crosshair.

Too bad there is no software that uses that system wide. It uses two screen point for calibration and feeling is way better. Not like an old lightgun, but close.

Guess it wont be too difficult to implement on Windows, but there are few devs interested on wiimote.

Edited by Trihy

On Windows 10/11 there is not much problem pairing them. Even the old ones and the new model. With most BT adapters.

Then you need a pairing tool, since Windows ask for a pin, which wiimotes doesnt have. For this, you could use wiimotehook. It´s just one click, really easy. Once paired, you can use them on whatever you want, even closing wiimotehook. There are other tools too, but didnt tried.

Dolphin bar is probably better, but well you need to have one :D

Wiimotehook also let you use the wiimote like an xinput controller, so you can use it on any emulator or PC game. Not sure if dolphin bar do that too. It´s a nice controller for 8 or 16bits consoles.

Edited by Trihy

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone,

Looong read but was really interesting for someone like me who've been pulling hair over making his Dolphin Bar work outside of Dolphin for more than one player.

For Mame, I "solved" my issues by using MAMEUI. It was the only build that recognized the Wiimote's X an Y axis movements when having them setup as X360 "Right Stick" in Touchmote. Works for most games but other like Lethal Enforcers are really choppy, like the crosshair is moving on a grid.

I haven't found a solution for other emulators yet. It all boils down to @ThePolish's struggle with having 2 Wiimotes detected as 2 different mouse cursors. 

The only way to achieve this currently to my knowledge is by using one Dolphin Bar per Wiimote in Mode 2. Not ideal and comes with button mapping issues too.

Weirdly enough, I've read rare instances of people who claimed they had it working in Mode 4, like here: https://web.archive.org/web/20230129023322/https://www.emuline.org/topic/1607-haunted-museum-tutorial-touchmote-2-wiimotes-and-demulshooter-in-hyperspin/

Just wondering if others are still looking for optimal solutions on this. I'm all in right now here. ^^

1 hour ago, n33k33 said:

I haven't found a solution for other emulators yet. It all boils down to @ThePolish's struggle with having 2 Wiimotes detected as 2 different mouse cursors. 

Just wondering if others are still looking for optimal solutions on this. I'm all in right now here. ^^

Honestly I wonder now with basic scripting and coding more available to more people vis a vie things like chatgpt I wonder of this sort of thing might finally be solved since we might not have a master coder interested in finding a fix, we have a bunch of amateurs who now might have tools to bodge it into working. 

17 minutes ago, ThePolish said:

Honestly I wonder now with basic scripting and coding more available to more people vis a vie things like chatgpt I wonder of this sort of thing might finally be solved since we might not have a master coder interested in finding a fix, we have a bunch of amateurs who now might have tools to bodge it into working. 

I'm by no means an expert but feels so, so close too. Multiple mouse support exists. Wiimotes react independently in Mode 3 in DXDiag. Touchmote's Trackpad mode too, and is even detected in some MAME builds ... It's just this tiny link missing but I suppose this is quite a niche concern indeed.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am trying to use WiiMotes in mame .256 for lightgun games. I have the WiiMote connected to my computer through BT with a wireless sensor bar. I can get everything working in touchmote and can even see my cursor moving. Have played some HOTD 1/2 in Model 2 Emulator and Demul but every time I go into mame I cannot get it to recognize the mouse cursor from touchmote. I have every input device option set to mouse just to cover my bases and I still get zero response...

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2023 at 10:35 PM, crleny said:

I am trying to use WiiMotes in mame .256 for lightgun games. I have the WiiMote connected to my computer through BT with a wireless sensor bar. I can get everything working in touchmote and can even see my cursor moving. Have played some HOTD 1/2 in Model 2 Emulator and Demul but every time I go into mame I cannot get it to recognize the mouse cursor from touchmote. I have every input device option set to mouse just to cover my bases and I still get zero response...

For mame you can use analog stick emulation with IR pointer. Just set IR to right or left analog stick on touchmote. Launch any lightgun game in mame and configure X and Y axis on mame tab input settings.

No need to set mouse. 

Edited by Trihy

• 1 month later...