LaunchBox Community Forums

Guide: Cheap Arcade Light Guns with Touchemote

On 7/16/2019 at 6:15 PM, Carl_71 said:

I have just started with this, I have the Wii Remote working as a mouse pointer which works fine in MAME. Even though I set the buttons in the profile as keyboard for example B-left ctrl for fire, 1-6 to enter coins, 2-1 to start game these will not work. The only button on the remote I can get to work with MAME is the fire button but only if I set as left mouse. I do not seem to be able to get the keyboard mapping to work. I must be missing something simple but I can not work it out. I am using MAMEUIFX64 0.175. Also when I go to the TAB menu to set button pressing the Wii Remote buttons does nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

I should also add I am using mayflash dolphin bar and Windows 7 64 bit.

Update 1: Okay I have now worked out how to map buttons by hooking MAME so can do more than just use the mouse buttons.

Update 2: I have installed the 360 controller emulator, if I go into control panel and check the Wii Remote it is showing up as an xbox controller and works in windows. I can not get it to work in MAME when I select left/right stick I get no response. Even if set controller one as XBOX rather than mouse I get no control. Is this a limitation or can I use xbox controller or two light guns in MAME?

Thanks

Carl

When you say 360 Controller Emulator, what do you mean? You should only need Touchmote.

20 hours ago, Tomkun said:

Make sure that your joypad deadzone is set to 0 in mame.ini, any other value can have the effect you're describing. If you've already done that, not sure what it could be.

Setting is correct. See added screenshot.

Other ideas?

BCD9F47B-57BA-4EB6-8958-3B525481880B.jpeg

5 hours ago, Machello said:

Setting is correct. See added screenshot.

Other ideas?

BCD9F47B-57BA-4EB6-8958-3B525481880B.jpeg

OK, I don't see anything obvious there, but you have mouse input disabled, yet are using mouse to emulate the lightgun. Perhaps that is creating a conflict? Also, in my MAME.ini, I have joystick saturation set to 1.0.
Are you using touchmote to emulate a mouse, or a controller?

I’m using a XBOX one controller for emulation. It works perfect for 1 game (so far).

i will set saturation to 1 and try again. Will let you know the results.

UPDATE 

Fixed it... I overlooked the .ini files per game (colpipes setup). Almost all gun games had a seperate ini file, Point Blank 1 had none, that's why that one worked with updating mame.ini and rest didn't work perfect. I updated the deadzone in the other ini files and games are working perfect now. 

Me happy ?

Edited by Machello

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Darkseid001 said:

Ive had this working in mame for a while now and its pretty cool. The question i have is how to get it working in retroarch to use gun games and paddles in atari and nes super nes sega genesis and what not also on pcsx2 if its even possible.

I have only managed to get this setup to work with mame and sega model 2 and 3.  PCSX2 you hasve to use the nuvee plugin which i just thought didnt work well and is one player only.  not managed to get it working on anything else yet !  Worth a try though

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

I installed the lastest official one, at the first time it moves fine the cursor over the windows desktop, I restarted Windows and stopped working that way, I reinstalled several times, but cant make the cursor move work, it just detects the buttons, I read the thread that someone got the same problem but fixed it changing some values, but I dont know which or where modify them.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone.  I am just getting LB setup on my arcade cab and having some issues with this.  Do i need to use an older version of mame?  Currently I am using the  new and awesome Wolfanoz 2.6 TB build which I believe uses the .208 version of mame.  I haven't been able to get the a and b buttons to register in the mame configuration settings.  the only buttons that will register when setting up the wii mote is the + and - buttons.  

Edited by rom116

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, has anyone had issues installing touchmote on windows 10? I can get it installed and working on my desktop windows 10 pc but not the one I have in my arcade cab. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times and nothing seems to work. All I'm trying to achieve is to be able to use multiple wii motes to play 2 player games and also the ability to play model 2 light gun games. Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: Solved my own issue, apparently Microsoft visual c++ wasn't on my arcade cab pc

Edited by karl_mee

• 2 months later...
On 7/11/2019 at 1:57 PM, JedExodus said:

If anyone cares I'm very close to what I consider a SEAMLESS Wiimote experience...

- Control everything with Wii Remote

- Full use of BigBox frontend with Wii Remote. Launch your games and shutdown your system with the remote 

- Switch between MAME Lightgun games and Dolphin seamlessly

- Touchmote closes down for use in Dolphin then restarts to use LaunchBox again

and most excitingly in my opinion....

- Close Dolphin with Wii Remote from the Wii Home Menu. No need to grab Keyboard to hit ESC or a controller with a HotKey

What's holding the whole thing up is... I  cannot get the Wii Remotes to reliably behave when launching Touchmote on startup. 4/5 times they'll be grand. But the fifth time even though I have IR mapped to analog stick, it'll control the mouse, on turning off the Wii Remote the cursor will pull to one side. If anyone knows how to fix this please please let me know.  I have tried WiinUSoft but it has it's only particular issues on startup and with retaining the analog stick settings in my experience.

Regardless I'll release what I have some point soon. FYI I have no idea what i'm doing and it's gonna be messy and hacky, but it should work. If someone wants to help me tidying it up that'd be great. Just please don't be a tosser about my implementation :P

Any update on this? 

hey everyone i really want to try this 
but i cant find compiled installer for touchmote their website is down and github doesn't have it and i tried using visual studio buuut i just cant figure it out
can anyone help me up with a link possibly?

Edited by 69DECIBEL69

• 2 months later...

I have Touchmote set up.  Thanks to all of you.  How do I extend the ranch of the wiimote to the left of my screen in mame? In Operation Wolf, I have to wait until the ammo magazines and rockets come more to the center of the screen.  i usually end up dying waiting for that to happen.

UPDATE:  I moved back further away from my cabinet and now the target goes all the way to the left.  Where in the settings.json do I adjust the distance?

Edited by midd

@midd, I'm dealing with that same issue. Authentic Wiimotes > Dolphin Bar mode 4 > Vanilla Touchmote v10B15 and Demulshooter for non MAME.
The problem is that the virtual stick generated by the Touchmote does not reach the edges of the X axis range. I also realized today that moving away from the screen helps but you need to move really far to reach the sides to the point that it is no longer usable.
After spending the afternoon reading this thread I saw that there is a version of Touchmote forked by Tsoukkis in github that should allow you to trim/calibrate those edges to make it work.
Unfortunately it seems that the forked code is not the latest version and you need an old version of VisualStudio to compile it. There is a pre-compiled version that another member posted. I'll give it a try and see if I can make it work with Win10.
BTW, the developer of Demulshooter, is planning to release a new version in a couple of weeks that will enable support of Dolphinbar mode 3. without Touchmote. I'm very much looking forward to that. The only drawback is that you need to plug the nunchuck attachment to the wiimote to enable the IR sensor in mode 3. I have no clue as to why the Dolphinbar has that limitation.

• Thanks 1

I fixed the problem with Touchmote not reaching the sides of the screen. I had to modify the sourcecode from Github and implement a "linear ratio" for the stick position calculation that is configurable via the settings file. I ended up setting it as 1.4x (it was that bad). I think this is something in the works for Touchmote as I saw some configurable parameters that I tried extensively but just wouldn't work. I also tried the Touchmote-mss fork but I couldn't make it complie.
I wonder if there are any restrictions to post alternative compiled versions of Touchmote online.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ctrl+Alt+Delete said:

I fixed the problem with Touchmote not reaching the sides of the screen. I had to modify the sourcecode from Github and implement a "linear ratio" for the stick position calculation that is configurable via the settings file. I ended up setting it as 1.4x (it was that bad). I think this is something in the works for Touchmote as I saw some configurable parameters that I tried extensively but just wouldn't work. I also tried the Touchmote-mss fork but I couldn't make it complie.
I wonder if there are any restrictions to post alternative compiled versions of Touchmote online.

Nice work!

As long as you include the source code with it you should be fine. Just zip it up with the binary and source code with your modifications in separate folders and probably a readme stating what you modified. Being open-source and gpl3 I think thats the only caveat. Doesn't have to be posted, just distributed with/made available.

As an aside - has anyone got this working with later versions of than what I started with? I'm not itching to upgrade but knowing the screen edge may be fixed here I kinda want to play with this again.

What software are you referring to with 'later versions of than what I started with"?

I made the modifications to the latest Touchmote available in Github and I'm using Demulshooter v8.7.0, 8.8.2, and 8.8.3.

I haven't added games to Launchbox/Bigbox because I just started learning AHK. I was using batch files before but I need to send Alt+Enter to go fullscreen.

42 minutes ago, Ctrl+Alt+Delete said:

What software are you referring to with 'later versions of than what I started with"?

I made the modifications to the latest Touchmote available in Github and I'm using Demulshooter v8.7.0, 8.8.2, and 8.8.3.

Sorry on lack of clarity on my part!

Im pretty sure you can release or share your touchdown compiled binary as long as you include the source or have published it (I encourage you to do so as I'd like a copy of the application too, I'm hit or miss compiling software without walkthrough) 

New version of MAME is what I was referring to - I went though the thread and it looks like a few can use .203