LaunchBox Community Forums

Guide: Cheap Arcade Light Guns with Touchemote

Its working on MAME 0.220. Touchmote IR set up as 360 controller left stick. MAME setup to enable light guns and light guns setup as the 360 controller left stick axes.  Works for 2 players.

I will try to fork the code from Github and post both the code changes, instruction and pre-compiled binaries there. Got to remember how to use github for that, it's been a while.

good morning all

i have a problem from years that i cant solve with thoucmote, my sensor bar is on TOP, when i see the pointer, it seems to be more down than the wiimote, there is a way to force touchmote to regulate the vertical position?

in mame is more down when i use it as JOY Y , as mouse it dont move , i changed all parameters for make mouse as lightgun but nothing, normal mouse works

thanks

On 4/21/2020 at 1:22 PM, Ctrl+Alt+Delete said:

Its working on MAME 0.220. Touchmote IR set up as 360 controller left stick. MAME setup to enable light guns and light guns setup as the 360 controller left stick axes.  Works for 2 players.

I will try to fork the code from Github and post both the code changes, instruction and pre-compiled binaries there. Got to remember how to use github for that, it's been a while.

are you using Tomkun zapper.json and mycontrols ?

are you using xbox controllers?

would it be possible to upload your .json and ctrlr files  for us?

Thank you very much :)

good morning all!

i use touchmote in a perfect way, mame core of retroarch (2 players too), commodore 64 with vice, amiga, master system, nes, snes, American Laser Games.

here is the problem

PSX (rearmed) and Saturn (mednafen)

PSX:

player 1 , perfect way using mouse pointer

plauer 2, dont move, but if i fire with player 1 , player 2 fire too

I changed all parameters, tried 2 differents layouts on touchmote, used mouse index option (0,1,2,3) nothing... i can't resolve the problem

Saturn:

it seems to be ok but when i need to have 2 players, some games needs the joypad for move in the menus, in this case i use the gun option and second player as joypad for move on the menus, there is a way to do this with gun and joypad as player 1 in the same situation? cause i can choice only GUN or Retropad , can i switch in the game quickly without enter in the RA menu?

thanks

Only way I could get PS1 to work was to use Mednafen (I used as standalone rather than through RA) 

Player 1 is seen as a mouse, but player two is seen a joystick but still acts like a light gun - not perfect but workable. I imagine you could set both up as joystick so they were equal in movement type if you preferred

Maybe others have got PSX or such to work with though.

Does "CTRL + SHIFT + [n]" with n being player number not work in Saturn for changing the controller type? I think you would have to scroll through the controller types from lightgun to gamepad and back to lightgun again so not sure how much of a pain that would be? I know it worked in PS1 when I was being a numpty setting some stuff up, but I haven't done anything with Saturn or RA.

hello guys

i'm new about RAW inputs

i set it on retroarch, but i cant move the crosses with touchmote, only with mouse, how can i set up touchmote for works with raw inputs? i know about mayflash dolphin bar have 4 modes (one is raw mode) but i have a normal dolphin bar, can i do something to recognize the wiimotes as raw mode with normal bar?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2020 at 8:32 PM, Ctrl+Alt+Delete said:

I fixed the problem with Touchmote not reaching the sides of the screen. I had to modify the sourcecode from Github and implement a "linear ratio" for the stick position calculation that is configurable via the settings file. I ended up setting it as 1.4x (it was that bad). I think this is something in the works for Touchmote as I saw some configurable parameters that I tried extensively but just wouldn't work. I also tried the Touchmote-mss fork but I couldn't make it complie.
I wonder if there are any restrictions to post alternative compiled versions of Touchmote online.

Could you please post the code you edited, (specific line and module name). I have no experiece with Visual Studio programming. I did get the tsoukkis fork working without any issues. As you mentioned that work is based on a very outdate version of touchmote.

Although the touchmote project is essentially dead, the newest version has alot of improvements on mouse emulation. I would like to get the best of both worlds, where i can correct stick emulation and get the improvements of the new version.

Been reading many pages on this forum, as far as I comprehend, I suppose it is NOT possible for Touchmote to use a Wiimote IR Pointer as a mouse cursor on a new modern vanilla MAME (0,215b), correct?

I have a Mayflash Dolphin bar using MODE 4, a genuine Nintendo Wiimote and MotionPlus attachment, Touchmote 1.0b15, and MAME0.215b_64Bits. My screen is 4:3 ratio on 1280X1024 resolution using a stock Arcade1UP monitor.

I configured a Wiimote Pointer to use a mouse cursor and edited mame.ini to enable mouse/lightgun/joystick/offscreen_reload,...etc as instructed on the first page. Touchmote simulated the mouse movement just fine outside MAME environment. But in MAME , hitting TAB, it does not detect any mouse movement on both X and Y axis. I can't make it work and saw lots of folks here having the similar problem with no solution update. Maybe I'm wrong but I guess it is no go.

The only way I can make it worked is to configure Wiimote Pointer with either a Left Stick or Right Stick XBOX360 Controller. For me, this workaround is very undesired result. The crosshair movement is very sluggish and can't move to the far edge on the left. I saw a post to fake ratio from 16:9 to 4:3. Mine is already 4:3, so I don't think it is applied.

Perhaps, configuring Wiimote with Touchmote is an obsolete method. Any suggest if there is any other way for Touchmote configuring a Wiimote Pointer as a mouse cursor to work on MAME0.215 or later?

hi guys, i definetly found solution, now i have those systems at 95% set for 2 players where possible:

American Laser games

Amiga

Arcade

Commodore 64

Model 2 

Model 3

Teknoparrot

Master System

atari 7800

atari 2600

Psx

PS2

Saturn

Super nintendo

Sega Arcades (like Lupin and others with demul)

NES

WII

Xbox (virtua cop3)

Aliens Extermination

Some games like wii, and aliens extermination i maded 2 versions to launch with and without crosshair

Lot of demulshooter settings maded, script and keys assigned to wiimote

i dont use touchmote, all is in mode 2 , the secret is have 2 mayflash dolphin bars, so you can play all games in 2 players, only wii is in mode 4

i decided to buy wii rifles , maded a lateral button connected to the A button for reload or special weapons, and a small engine for make vibrating it when you shoot (its funny hehehe)

4 months of work and 220 games available for now :)

Edited by neogetter
  • Unusual Gem 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2020 at 6:22 PM, Ctrl+Alt+Delete said:

Would it be possible to share screenshots of this please? - How do you setup mame to enablew light guns and set them up to 360 left stick axis?

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

The official Touchmote forum is completely dead, so I thought I'd ask this here. Is there a preferred Wiimote version to use with Touchmote? Is there a model or serial number I should be looking for? I've got two newer models with motion plus included, and I'm having issues keeping them connected when using Touchmote.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 12/17/2020 at 6:26 PM, Tomkun said:

I have both old and new Wiimotes and haven't noticed any connection issues with either of them, but I tend to only use the older ones for lightgun games.  Mine are connected via a Dolphinbar. How have you connected yours?

Thanks for responding. Sorry for the late reply. I’ve since gotten the above issue resolved. I am using the dolphinbar. 

I’ve been having a weird issue lately where the touch cursor disappears behind the application window. I don’t know if I changed a setting or not that caused this. Any ideas how to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...

Checking in on this incredibly long and on going thread. 

I'm using (currently) the long dead touchmote 10b15 (last release official) since I haven't seen any binaries posted with improvements I've read about (but I'd LOVE for someone to!) and MAME 0.174.

Some observations AND being able to update to the newest MAME- I think I figured out.

Upgrading to MAME 234b

I was still having the issues where when trying to set the x/y axis for the light gun using gun 1 (the mouse cursor profile vs. the joystick for gun 2). I started reading the MAME documentation listed here and found that there are several input modes available. These input modes are set to "auto" by default however I thought in the past it was "dinput" which was allowing this to work. I edited the mame INI under # OSD INPUT OPTIONS to use all dinput and guess what, it didn't work.... however I now have modified the INI to the following: 

#
# OSD INPUT OPTIONS
#
keyboardprovider          dinput
mouseprovider             win32
lightgunprovider          win32
joystickprovider          winhybrid

This has allowed me to go into the game settings (this machine) and select "Light Gun Analogue X" then swipe the controller left/right to set "Gun  1  X" and same for Y under the other option. 

To me this is huge news because I now can upgrade to a much newer version of MAME than what I had in the OP. As a side effect some of my games now no longer emulate since name changes and what not (Area 51 I'm lookin at you pal) = this leads me to my next observation.

Upgrading MAME versions

The OG post worked well "enough" but I guess its PROBABLY worth it to try and start using the newer versions since .074 was ages ago. Be aware this can break games and its not exactly institutive to fix, especially if you're like me and don't do whole sets (40 total titles). 

Joystick re-numeration - the constant struggle

As many of us know, once this is set up, after a reset, or at random, new controllers connected, disconnected, you'll have to rebind EVERYTHING to make gun one be gun one again, and all the different user defined options (Trigger, X axis, Y axis, coin, start, etc etc etc). I came across a post on another forum which went over this issue for the flight sim crowd. A application called JOYID seems to fit the bill for what causes this for us. Seems pretty easy to use. I'm using it now and will report if successful (hopefully). I've also archived the link to the download on archive.org  should it ever go down.

Multiple Mice

They joystick is STILL not ideal for controller 2. With the new input methods, I'm hoping there might be a new way to look at using 2 emulated mice in order to set gun 1 x and gun 2 x (and ys) with both wiimotes set to "mouse cursor).  My honest to god though on this is to have someone who knows how to program add "mouse 1 and mouse 2" emulation in to Touchmote. Mame supports multiple mice, we see now it can support an emulated mouse - we just need someone in the community to see if this is possible. 

This is my (hopefully) continued contribution to this post. Thanks to everyone who has kept this alive so long, we still have a ways to go but I think 2 mouse emulation is possible one day!!

Side note - make sure any game which the lightgun is controlled by an "adstick"  (For Example AD Stick X Analogue controls the Terminator 2 gun X) -  when you're binding your controls. AND you're using the wiimote with the "mouse cursor" setting in touchmote  (not the joystick) - in mame you must go to that machine's Device Mapping and set to  "lightgun"  

Edited by ThePolish
forgot something