LaunchBox Community Forums

"Bedroom" Theme

vice350z

22 hours ago, vice350z said:

Yeah, kinda disappointed in myself for only getting 2 done and not having the time I thought I would to do all the main consoles. Each one took longer than I thought it would with all the masking out and stuff in Photoshop.

Cooper has done a good job taking over with the templates I sent him...maybe he can finish what I started :)

So, I actually came up with an idea for my personal use until someone that can code takes over the project or you decide to finish it (should either of those ever happen). I simply turned the PSD's you provided into videos (like Viking's Nostalgia videos) and use them as my Platform videos. Instead of putting gameplay videos on the screen, I decided to go with the consoles intro theme (think "Sega") followed by the original commercials for the consoles. I haven't decided what to do for the consoles that were never advertised on TV though (probably just gameplay videos).

It's actually pretty easy to do, you did most of the work already and using your layouts and effects I can probably make a few for other systems too.

Edited by Vetriz
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Here is a slight change. I made this for my raspberry pi 3b+ as using shaders makes it choppy. So I ended up making my own scan lines and put in on the overlay. This makes games run silky smooth. There are two versions here. One with no scan lines so you can use shaders, and the other has scan lines. If you do use the one with scan lines, then in retroarch choose the "retroarch" shader. Its the stock one with a slight blur. I think this version of the game room overlay will be great for smaller screens like your phone or another portable device.

1-Game-Room.png

1GameRoom-SL-(1080p).png

Super-Pitfall-30th-Anniversary-Hack.png

• 9 months later...

Got excited for this as it is has a bit more going on than the retro bedroom theme but see it's not been worked on since 2018 lol! I am thinking of modifying and continuing the work on this, or modifying the current retro bedroom one (if its allowed for me to share the modifications, i will).

I am from Wales in the UK and like a lot of UK gamers - a lot of the themes, art etc etc are usually aimed for North American art and releases so the snes looks different, the mega drive is the genesis, the 32x has this dreadfully eyepopping yellow box borders and all of that (nobody passionately with me on that one? haha) 

So I made some quick modifications to the retro bedroom theme last night by using some UK adverts that play on the tv but I loved the idea of this theme where the posters would change and the console would change as you shift down the systems list.

So my imagination ran wild with this theme so I am going to see if I can work on this in my spare time when the shop is quiet, so going to learn some theming stuff (I've made basic themes for retropie but never for launchbox, looks a lot easier for launchbox!).

So just so am on the same page the things I would like for this theme are - 

Toys and other items in the room change for the age of the system, so like a big track toy and posters of e.t and all that for atari era

nes is what this theme is showing already

posters will change with the console and system era

but making primarily themes to the uk. so a bottle of lynx body spray on the floor with the ps2 era, it would be axe body spray etc etc

I would like to have it so that the cartridge slot of the console can be masked for snes, master system, mega drive (all consoles which can display the cartridge on top, nes would be impossible i think) so that the cartridge art can be displayed at the same time as the box art on the table, not sure if this is possible, but would be cool.

Anyways im on board to help continue the work on this, or perhaps just modify the retro bedroom one. see what comes out best :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody , Similar I have been working on a big box custom theme for almost 1 year and I have created so many assets that I find it difficult to see clearly, the theme has therefore fallen behind, and I tend to scatter easily:/

the arcade part is almost finished, all the backgrounds are animated by hand (there i still a lot of work to be done ) here is a demo with the theme Data east Capcom play system 1 and 2, Sega stv; the console part I do not show more to keep the surprise a bit :).

I have high hopes that I will be able to finish it before the end of the year ;

Edited by PaDeMoNiuM

I like it a lot. 

3 hours ago, PaDeMoNiuM said:

Hello everybody , Similar I have been working on a big box custom theme for almost 1 year and I have created so many assets that I find it difficult to see clearly, the theme has therefore fallen behind, and I tend to scatter easily:/

the arcade part is almost finished, all the backgrounds are animated by hand (there i still a lot of work to be done ) here is a demo with the theme Data east Capcom play system 1 and 2, Sega stv; the console part I do not show more to keep the surprise a bit :).

I have high hopes that I will be able to finish it before the end of the year ;

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/28/2018 at 10:33 PM, vice350z said:

yeah sure, download them from my server. There's the background wall with the posters thats the "fanart" file and then the SNES PSD with the main stuff in the foreground.

Fanart

SNES Console

I also made a NES version to use as an overlay for my RetroPie NES setup.

5a9564bc14e6a_NESOVERLAY.jpg.257355f9b8922a6a3713b58de4e1508b.jpg

In use on my TV

IMG_20180214_105342583.jpg

I need this fanart to create a new retro bedrooms, Can someone upload the file back to PSD?

thanks 

4 hours ago, retro2games said:

I need this fanart to create a new retro bedrooms, Can someone upload the file back to PSD?

thanks 

@PaDeMoNiuMif you go there ;)

If there is anyone who can help you, it's pad, I think he's the one who has gone the furthest on the subject (he even designs VR rooms)! I think look over here!

it seems to me that he still has this psb in these archives! I had it but I can't find it anymore.. good luck to you! :;)

10 hours ago, retro2games said:

thanks 

Here ya go. I had to reupload them because I couldn't use my regular server as a file host. Christ...i did these back in 2017...6 years ago already.

Fanart.psd >> https://file.io/H5iZ9KFVNLis

SNES.psd >> https://file.io/TfwMffOFF7I0

NES Overlay.psd....just remember, this I made for RetroPie but maybe you can still reconfigure it to work for Launchbox >> https://file.io/0A4s2CSK1GvP

Edited by vice350z
trying to fix link not showing correctly

16 hours ago, Beetlejuice29 said:

@PaDeMoNiuMif you go there ;)

If there is anyone who can help you, it's pad, I think he's the one who has gone the furthest on the subject (he even designs VR rooms)! I think look over here!

it seems to me that he still has this psb in these archives! I had it but I can't find it anymore.. good luck to you! :;)

Thankssss, I can't wait to start creating these new bedrooms for other platforms.

19 hours ago, retro2games said:

Thank you very much @vice350z for the work of finding these old files, when they are available for download, could you let me know?

Thanks again!

I'll upload them and send the links to you in a PM...seems that service deletes them once its downloaded once. Do you still need them or were you the one that downloaded them?

Edited by vice350z

• 7 months later...
On 2/28/2018 at 10:33 PM, vice350z said:

yeah sure, download them from my server. There's the background wall with the posters thats the "fanart" file and then the SNES PSD with the main stuff in the foreground.

Fanart

SNES Console

Is there any chance you could reupload the PSD files somewhere again? @vice350z They are down everywhere again, unfortunately. I'd love to customize them and I really like what you've done :) Thanks in advance!

Edited by HisAirness23