LaunchBox Community Forums

My normal library and big box are both super laggy and stutter

chronichemp

so my problem with my stutter and lag have gotten alot worse.  I have all my images cached i believe, theres nothing you have to install for that right? i have all the images loaded on the pages, but when i load launchbox i have to wait for them all to load in again and it takes forever.  I just purchased and am very upset:( i thought it would be smooth as butter.  

i5-4690k

gtx 1070

16gb 2133hz ram

It could be. How large is your library ?

And yeah you shouldn't be having a performance problem with your system judging by what you listed. As you can see in my performance guide post I have 2 different systems of very different hardware levels and both work fine within their limits. My main system runs great with full settings while my shitty htpc needs some tweaking.

Just now, lordmonkus said:

It could be. How large is your library ?

And yeah you shouldn't be having a performance problem with your system judging by what you listed. As you can see in my performance guide post I have 2 different systems of very different hardware levels and both work fine within their limits. My main system runs great with full settings while my shitty htpc needs some tweaking.

Around 7000 games so far but i have so many more to add.  This is a shit show, big box doesnt even work just lags and freezes

1 hour ago, SentaiBrad said:

I use an 8TB 5400RPM drive, LaunchBox and all my games are on it, and I wouldn't consider my 30k library lagging or stuttering.

Damn really? I switched to the 7200 and am still getting horrible lag and stutter.  could it be from the update? i heard alot of people complaining about it.  i switched to the beta but still no luck:(

?

Just now, DOS76 said:

Yeah it is currently the biggest issue but its hard to track down because it is randomly happening to people who's system should work fine with the program

Well i guess ill wait it out just because its such an awsome program.  SO the images should just be there right? no loading in? thats the normal thing for launchbox? im new. also ever since i moved it to a new hdd i cant play any games it says the file you specified for the emulator was not found, everythings in the same place though, i just moved the emulator to another drive

Ah not hard but a little more complicated LB has no native feature to change ROM paths so you have to use Notepadd++ and open your XML files located in Data>Platforms from the LB root folder use the find and replace method to find your old path and then use replace to change them all in bulk you will have to do it individually for each platform well that probably isn't true but it would take more complex directions to describe it.

IF LaunchBox, your roms and emulators are all on the same hard drive when you imported and added them, it will use Relative paths. If they're all on a different hard drive though, then it must assign them a full path with a drive letter, so if you move them off that path it doesn't know where they are anymore.

Also, since you have decent amounts of ram, go in to Tools -> Options -> RAM Cache (on the left, at the bottom), and set that to 4GB (put the slider all the way to the right). It might re-cache your images, but you'll assign more RAM to LaunchBox, so more images will go in to RAM instead of being loaded off the hard drive. What you're describing is either that LB is still caching or re-caching, or something isn't keeping up. I do have my RAM set to max, so even though im on a 5400RPM drive, I might not notice it that much. That said, CPU is the most important part for a LaunchBox install. Hard Drives can make a difference obviously, if they're too slow, but 5400RPM shouldn't effect that too much. USB2, SATA or SATA2, on a SATA connection that is being shared with other SATA devices can all play factors. The connection all your drives are on, depending on your motherboard, could slow down the more you connect. Or if your connection isn't as fast as it could be, the drive is failing, it could literally be any number of things. Even when my images would load in, it's not neceserilly "stuttering" either. A lot of people will attribute poor performance to LaunchBox or Big Box, and yes the application is not perfect and can always be improved, but PC's are very complicated and it could literally be anything.

@chronichemp I'd be interested to know if you have the same issues with previous versions. I can hook you up with an older install if you'd be willing to test. Honestly none of this sounds related to anything that I'm hearing from anyone else, so I'm guessing it's somehow isolated. That said, I'd really like to figure it out. I'll send you a link to a previous version via PM.