LaunchBox Community Forums

How are you recording your screens

angelobodetti

I used OBS linked below. I used to use Dxtory but it gave me issues due to the way that Big Box is presented. Sentaibrad turned me onto it and I believe he uses it for most of his videos. It's also nice as it has mute and dimming audio functions so as you are speaking, you can dim the sound coming from Big Box etc. Make sure you grab Studio and not the legacy version.

https://obsproject.com/

Example video that I made just yesterday when helping another user create a script to resolve a controller issue. Believe it or not, the final output was like a 200mb mp4 file! I've had it recording Big Box mode and it recorded my gameplay of some SNES games in RA as well as some Neo Geo MVS stuff. The only hiccup I've seen is actually in this video below, in where ePSXe was playing fullscreen, but it recorded it as a small window. I didn't bother trying to troubleshoot that as I only had ePSXe installed to troubleshoot this particular issue for someone.

Edited by Zeromod

Yea, I use OBS to capture the entire screen, DXTory to capture games, and OBS + the Razer Ripsaw to capture consoles. 4GB for 4min is great. In DXTory, I have 30 min episodes at over 120GB. So 1GB per 1 min, is great! Once it's rendered and compressed (edited as well if need be), it shouldn't be nearly that much. The average tutorial and RSS episode is less than 1GB each at the length they're at. They average about 600-800mb before uploading to YouTube (they'd be a bit smaller if I downloaded them back off of YouTube).

If you need to compress videos further for uploading and your upload speed is not the best (like mine @ 2 Mbit /s) use a program called Handbrake. It is free and does a fairly decent job but obviously if you have good upload speed and uploading a larger file is not a problem then that is best but compressing with Handbrake https://handbrake.fr/ can help you out if needed. I use it when I make videos to upload and I don't want to wait all day for a 10 minute video to upload.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/2/2017 at 5:39 AM, failrunner said:

I use Nvidia Share which requires a gtx 650 or higher to use but it works great. It records @ 4k60fps.

I also use Nvidia Share on my cab running a gtx980, it works really well and has some pretty easy to use settings to adjust quality and file size. For anyone running a late model Nvidia card its awesome, AMD also has something similar called Relive and it works well too. Anyone with these later model gpu's really should try it out, its not only free but its also built right into your graphics drivers

• 2 weeks later...

I like OBS for free software, but mostly use D3DGear for desktop/game capture as I have a paid license.

For consoles I cap with a Roxio GameCapture Pro device, and edit with the Roxio editing software that comes with it :) It's not amazing, but it's simple, and again licensed so I don't need to worry about cracking (or buying....) a vegas or premier type solution.

• 3 years later...

Wow this is an old post! Just to update my reply for the sake of it I now use Nvidia ShadowPlay for all gameplay recording, and OBS if I need to record desktop. 

For consoles (XB1, PS4, Switch) I used an El Gato HD60S to get the footage into the PC, and then OBS to record.