LaunchBox Community Forums

N64 in Retroarch Black Screen

Bing147

Any ideas? Retroarch works awesome in all other cores I've tested but I can't get N64 working to save my life. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the core. It starts and I can hear the game in the background, but it's just a black screen. The audio is there, so I know it's working. The black screen even extends to the emulator, if I press my button combo to enter the menu the audio stops so I know it worked, and when I press the combo again the audio comes back so it isn't frozen. It's just black though. I have Project 64 working okay but I just really prefer Retroarch when possible. I tried Googling it and found only one similar situation and they didn't ever post a solution, ha ha.

Not sure if this is going to fix your issue but when I have run into this issue it is because of a shader being loaded in the main retroarch.cfg (not sure if internal resolution has an effect or not).

The way I fixed this is to look in the retroarch.cfg for the line:
video_shader = "path to some shader file"

change it to 

video_shader = "nul"

The other thing I did was to create a custom cfg file for N64 (I did this mainly for controller issues but it might be needed for this as well). The in my associated platforms for Retroarch and the Nintendo 64 platform I have it load the custom cfg file.

• Thanks 1

It's likely a shader issue like Monkus mentioned. The Mupen/Glupen cores are incompatible with cg shaders and, as result, will be black if you try to use one. You need to use either no shader or a glsl shader (or slang if you're using a Vulkan renderer). You can create a per-core override to set a different shader for that specific core. With content (a game) loaded, go to the quick menu -> shaders -> load shader preset and choose a shaders_glsl preset, then quick menu -> save core override.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had this exact problem the other day, and it was a shader. The 3 of us were talking about this core and shaders, and I had this exact problem on Discord. I removed the shader from the retroarch.cfg and it loaded up just fine. I ended up then creating a custom config and loading a shader it did like.

That was it. Removed the shader, set it up and now everything is working great. Well mostly. I deleted Parallel and now Retroarch for some reason sees my N64 game folder as empty, but I can launch them through Launchbox which is fine, lol.

36 minutes ago, Bing147 said:

That was it. Removed the shader, set it up and now everything is working great. Well mostly. I deleted Parallel and now Retroarch for some reason sees my N64 game folder as empty, but I can launch them through Launchbox which is fine, lol.

That will be because your N64 games are associated with parallel wich is no longer installed you need to go into your retroarch/playlist folder and delete the N64 playlist, then rescan in retroarch.