LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch - How to increase internal resolution? N64 (Mupen64Plus)

crystal6tak

Hello! First time posting, please tell me if I'm breaking any rules!

Anyways, I downloaded retroarch, downloaded the core mupen64plus for n64, then booted up mario party. Everything works fine but it's rendering at native resolution so everything is incredibly pixelated. I've looked through google for over an hour using any keyword I can think of (internal resolution, scaling, rendering resolution, increasing resolution, etc.) but I simply can't find anything showing how to increase the internal resolution (so polygon edges are crisp instead of laddered). I found something called shaders, I've tried a few that came with retroarch (3dfx, scalefx, scalehq, sharpen), none of them seem to do what I want. They all seem to just do a post processing over what's already rendered. Or am I simply using the wrong shaders? I can't seem to find where to download shaders as well...

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Edited by crystal6tak

When a core has scaling options like this, with a game loaded press F1, navigate to the Quick Menu (it should pop you in there by default), then go down to the Core Options. I've seen cores that have internal resolution scaling house them here. This is where core specific stuff goes.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SentaiBrad said:

When a core has scaling options like this, with a game loaded press F1, navigate to the Quick Menu (it should pop you in there by default), then go down to the Core Options. I've seen cores that have internal resolution scaling house them here. This is where core specific stuff goes.

Thank you so much! That worked! Still can't believe I couldn't find it after hours of googling...

If you don't mind though, I got another question. Currently retroarch got these settings:

Once I boot up a game, it runs at the resolution I set it to (1920x1080), but after that, if I go back to menu, this happens:

Any idea how to prevent this from happening? Thanks again dude!

Since you're turning up internal scaling, and you have the window size set to a higher resolution, they're conflicting. It would be best to create core overrides or a custom config for this core. You'll want to change the internal resolution to the one you want and keep the window scale down to 1 or 2. To create a custom config, go to the config menu and "save new config" with the core loaded. Then add -C "config\name_of_config.cfg" to the default command line parameters after the -L command. When you reload for that core, it should also load the custom config. Set the window scale and then the internal resolution. Overrides should also work, but I personally prefer custom configs. It takes a bit more set up, and you should set your retroarch.cfg how you want first, then create a custom config (since it bases the custom config on the config you currently have loaded), but I like this method much more.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Sorry to necro an old topic, but I have the same problem and am having trouble. I found the setting to change the resolution, so I changed the 4:3 resolution from 320x240 to 1920x1440, but the game's video and audio lagged like crazy. So I set everything back to 320x240, but all N64 games are still lagging. Here is a short clip to show what I am talking about:

https://imgur.com/gallery/DjnIduo

Below are some of my settings/specs. I would appreciate any help!

Retroarch - build date Feb. 3 2019
Core: Mupen64Plus OpenGL 2.5
CPU Core: dynamic_recompiler
RSP Mode: HLE
4:3 resolution: 1920x1440
16:9 Resolution: 1920x1080
Aspect ratio: 4:3
Bilinear filtering mode: standard

Windows 10 64 bit
Motherboard: Z270x-Gaming K7
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.20 GHz
Ram: 16 GB
GPU: Nvidia 1070

Edited by mattdawson75
forgot to put GPU

There are a couple of things you could consider:

- I myself use the mupen64plus_next_libretro core with the Vulkan renderer without problems. It seems to me the Mupen64Plus OpenGL 2.5 core is old by now.

- Your RetroArch Build is also 2 years old. Maybe you could update RetroArch as well.

- Rendering N64 (in a higher resolution) can be very intensive. Try in the Nvidia control panel > 3D settings if retroarch.exe runs in adaptive power mode (or higher).

- Also check if the refresh rate of your display is set to 60 hz or higher (during gameplay).

Edited by Koroth

Thank you for helping:

-So I loaded the mupen64plus_next core, for some reason my games are just showing a black screen, with the message "Run ahead has been disabled because this core does not support save states," and it never moves on from that. Here's a screenshot.1955616807_retroarch.thumb.JPG.26c97eb3d58d8080d815547047a3e0ce.JPG

-I think my only option is updating RetroArch, something's wrong with it. So I pressed F5, went to Tools -> Online Updater, but I'm getting the error "Network Error: HTTP Code 404."1294784497_retroarch2.JPG.791a9086047ffd0976087e83bd92b623.JPG
I'm willing to just start over with RetroArch, uninstall/reinstall the latest version, but the problem is, I have tons and tons of things I'm scared of losing. All my save states for countless games. Also custom controller setups for countless games across many different systems. I'm not sure where all that stuff is saved or how to "transfer" all of it easily to a fresh download of RetroArch. 

-I set the Power Management mode to "Prefer maximum performance," but it is the same.

-(I think I'm going to the right place for this) - Advanced display properties, clicked Display adapter properties for Display 1, click Monitor tab, under Screen Refresh Rate, it says 60 Hertz while games are running.

Edited by mattdawson75
grammar

I would backup my old install, that way you always can go back. Then download the RetroArch.7z > extract and manually copy the files to your old install. http://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.9.0/windows/x86_64/ If that fails you can always do a fresh install and have your backup if everything fails.

*Edit*

I want to add that you can do a fresh install and copy the config, core, system, saves and states folders from your old install to your new one.

*Edit 2*

Just a suggestion for people adding cores to older installs of RetroArch. After adding (or updating) a core you should also update the core info files.

Edited by Koroth