LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox always crashes for me lately (eventually) running in attract mode

JaysArcade

Just curious if anyone else experiences BigBox crashing when it is left running all day or all night. After hours of it running, I get an error message saying than BigBox has stopped working with an OK button that closes it. BigBox seemed to be solid until the 7.8 betas started. I didn't say anything because I figured it would be resolved by the time the official 7.8 came out, but unfortunately it still crashes. Just to be clear, this only happens if I leave BigBox running for an extended period of time like overnight or during the day while at work, I wake up or come home to see it crashed.

If it's just me, I'll look into running from a different drive, try a different theme, or do some other troubleshooting on my end. My set up seems to run great other than this issue.

• Like 1

I am going to test it tonight on my arcade cabinet and leave BigBox running all night long in attract mode to see if mine crashes as well. I know the crash used to happen when I used Hyperspin also if I left it on attract mode for an extended period of time and it was determined it was a memory leak in the Hyperspin program. 

• Like 1

Its definitely worth a shot to switch over to WMP to see if that makes a difference. Truthfully I have switched back over to WMP as my go to media player within BigBox as I cannot tell a speed difference between the two and I have zero issues with it over than it not being able to play webm videos natively without a plugin. I still have noticed some issues with VLC with some music mixing with other music when going through the menus fast.

• Like 1

Just want to add I had crashing on 7.7 with VLC set. Changed to media player on no crashes. Tested it on 7.8 Wednesday and with VLC set it crashed within 4 hours on attract mode. I cannot confirm exactly how quickly it crashed only that after I returned 4 hours laters it had crashed. Set it to media player last night and it did not crash at all when left running overnight. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm i wonder what causes the freeze/crash then. I sometimes leave my system run over night ( when i fall asleep tinkering with it ;)  and plan to have my arcade cab setup at work to run most of the day. I dont recall attract mode crash in the past when i left my system running so i wonder whats changed.... possibly my theme im using or corrupt media??

I have no idea. I can leave it for a few hours and all seems well, but anything more than that, say overnight or all day while at work, it always seems to crash. It will be frozen with the error message Bigbox has stopped working and you can see the screen it freezes on and it always lands in a different place in attract mode when it crashes. Usually on a game screen but I think I've seen it on Platform screens as well. I think I need to try a less media intense theme and see if it still happens.

@jaythompson 

Try a clean BigBoxSetting.xml. I had a crash a while back out of nowhere. I could not get BigBox to even run. So I deleted the BigBoxSettings.xml and was able to get it running right. 

Go into Data folder and first make a back up of your "BigBoxSettings.xml" just in case this does not work you can revert back to the original. 

Once you make a copy then delete the original from the Data folder. 

Open BigBox and it will make a new .xml. You will need to redo your settings though like your control automations and such. I would run the default theme and see if it crashes or not.  

• Like 1

Just wanted to post an update on this...  i completely removed VLC from my pc and i no longer have any issues with launchbox.  It boots up quicker, no halts nothing..  It runs perfectly...  THanks everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a cabinet built and I have to restart it big box several times a day. It seems to crash while trying to load the video during attract mode. I just uninstalled VLC. Hopefully that fixes it, I'll update if it does.

edit: it lasted overnight without crashing! yay! uninstalling VLC and setting big box to use WMP

Edited by MichaelBolton