LaunchBox Community Forums

Windows Vista support and .NET Framework 4.6.2

LBoxer

The title very much sums it up - I just tried to install the application on a Windows Vista computer, on the download website it says the supported systems are "Vista+" (I assume this should include Vista), however, the installer tries to instal .NET 4.6.2 as a dependency and fails; trying to install it manually, I notice on the Microsoft website Vista is not even supported, and there don't seem to be any older LaunchBox versions available for download.

Any suggestion how to proceed?

Thanks.

Edited by LBoxer
omission
  • Like 1

The switch to the newer version of .NET Framework (4.6.2) kicked in with LaunchBox version 7.8 beta 4. To run LaunchBox/BigBox on a PC with Vista you will need LaunchBox 7.7.
If you have been using LaunchBox all along then you will have copies of previous installs in your LaunchBox Updates folder. If not, then you could ask Jason for a copy explaining your predicament.

I highly recommend doing whatever you can to upgrade from Vista to atleast Windows 7 at the bare minimum.

In my opinion Vista was 2nd worst version of Windows ever, only Windows ME was worse and I have used every version since Windows 95 A.

Personally I think Jason should do whatever he could to support Windows XP but he won't do that. But for the love of all that is right in this world get away from Vista.

Thanks for the replies - really not the place to digress into discussing comparative OSs, I would say - it is a computer I use running under Vista (and not at all that very badlly, by the way, overall). One way or another, since I just decided to give this app a try, no previous installs, I'm afraid, so it seems I need an older copy  - any particular advice on how to obtain one?

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Honestly, not really. When Microsoft starts dropping support for Operating Systems like that, there isn't too much we can do and users should usually upgrade for security reasons. I'm sure you can find older versions out there, but we don't distribute older versions unfortunately.

Thanks for the replies I understand that is not done on purpose obviously. Might seems incredible but downloaded 7.7 like 2 weeks ago but didnt have time to install, last night I got some minutes so I decided to give it a chance..but saw the email regarding the new version so put it to download and removed the 7.7 exe file.... really bad luck I guess...

Edited by petrarka
typo
  • Like 1

When you update in-app, the update gets downloaded to the updates folder (sorting them by date helps). That doesn't help right now, but you know it's there. The reason we don't generally distribute old versions is because things change so fast, and in certain cases changes can be made and old versions may end up broken because of it. If someone has a 7.7 install and wants to upload it, or you google around and find one, we're not going to begrudge anyone, but we also simply can't keep supporting older versions too. I'm not sure if that was an answer anyone was looking for, but.

On 2017-3-24 at 4:53 AM, SentaiBrad said:

Honestly, not really. When Microsoft starts dropping support for Operating Systems like that, there isn't too much we can do and users should usually upgrade for security reasons. I'm sure you can find older versions out there, but we don't distribute older versions unfortunately.

Always nice to see such concern...

In fact, it turns out the last .NET version for Vista was not 4.6.1, but 4.6, wich, if dates are anything to go by, should mean the last LB version to be usable under Vista should be something around maybe 5.5 or 5.6 - however, indeed, it does state on the website that Vista is supported, which seems to be downright untrue, and to have been so for a while.

Now, that said, with the understanding that Vista is not receiving any more updates, and nor is the last working LB version, I imagine it might be possible to put it up for those hanging on to Vista for another while (trust me, all my emulators work well enough as is), but that is, after all, the developer's decision.

Well, and I'd like to thank everyone who posted supportively in this thread, lots of fun with your gaming. ;)

Well it depends on what version of Vista, SP2 Vista can be supported but not Vista or SP1. I don't recall anyone reporting any issues with Vista for a while related to this subject, this was the first. So it's leading me to believe that either people on Vista are very few and never said anything, or this is just now an issue. @Jason Carr can clear this up though.

Well if someone can be so kind to upload or pm a 7.7 version I would be able to confirm that ;) Looked for it via duckduck,google,etc.. but just found fake mirrors pointing to the main downloads page, or .exe custom downloaders which at the end probably would do the same...

so..thanks in advance

Vista SP2 will not allow you to install .NET Framework 4.6.2.

I'm running one of my LaunchBox installs on an old Dell laptop with Vista 32bit SP2 and .Net Framework 4.6.1.
On this machine I'm using LaunchBox 7.8 Beta 3, which is the last update of LaunchBox to work with Vista.

• Like 1

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/03/net-framework-4-6-2-released/

I was surprised its been out since August and that MS dropped support for the OS 8 months before EOL I thought it was new and they were just not supporting it because next month is it for Vista either way Vista is done so it is what it is. I'm hoping you guys have corrected the website to say Win 7 +.