LaunchBox Community Forums

Windows Vista support and .NET Framework 4.6.2

LBoxer

Windows XP was surprisingly bad, but yea, I do fear for W7. I would say they might extend that, but I think 8 and 10 will get long tails. I think they want to kill off 7 as fast as possible. To be fair, 10 is a better OS, but the way they're dealing with 7 right now blows my mind. I do also understand not being able to support it for forever, sure, but the tactics happening right now reek of "we got paid a lot of money to do this" or "we paid a lot of money for this".

Windows XP was actually very good for its day. It was a huge step up from the Win9x kernel being the first version of the NT kernel for home users (Win2k was great but not meant for home users). Vista was a downgrade from XP making it slow, ugly and annoying to use. I didn't upgrade from XP until extremely late into Windows 7s lifespan.

If I had any control (and I don't) I would love to see Jason build in some sort of support for Windows XP or even make a more stripped down version of Launchbox for XP since it still a great OS for a simple Mame only cabinet. This is just my opinion though.

He did make that random DOS version, but the chances of that are honestly really low. Well, maybe. People have been asking for a "light" version. If it's not too much to make a second build (though we know that it is), then potentially... go back to the last XP and then Vista .net's and make legacy versions. The work on that though... it could be months just to get that up and running, then all of the maintenance time.

Also, I don't think they're gonna extend 7. I thought at first they would, but they're severely gimping 7 on certain hardware. I don't think Microsoft is interested in keeping people on their legacy OSes at this point. They REALLY want people on 8 and 10 (mostly 10).

14 hours ago, spycat said:

Vista SP2 will not allow you to install .NET Framework 4.6.2.

I'm running one of my LaunchBox installs on an old Dell laptop with Vista 32bit SP2 and .Net Framework 4.6.1.
On this machine I'm using LaunchBox 7.8 Beta 3, which is the last update of LaunchBox to work with Vista.

spycat, could you give some more details on this, as according to, say, this here Vista SP2 supports up to 4.6, and an older version of LB (7.6, to be precise), which I found online, still doesn't install on Vista SP2?

Hi @LBoxer

AS far as I can recall, Jason upgraded to Net Framework 4.6.2 from 4.6.1 on Feb 21st.
If you search All Activity for Net Framework you'll find more information.
See these 2 images of my Net Framework installs.
By the way, if you got LaunchBox 7.6 from somewhere on the web, it may not work anyway.

image1.PNG

image2.PNG

• Like 1

On 26/3/2017 at 5:14 PM, petrarka said:

Thanks for the replies I understand that is not done on purpose obviously. Might seems incredible but downloaded 7.7 like 2 weeks ago but didnt have time to install, last night I got some minutes so I decided to give it a chance..but saw the email regarding the new version so put it to download and removed the 7.7 exe file.... really bad luck I guess...

Try Right-click in the folder you had v7.7 -> Properties -> Restore Previous versions

You may be lucky...

2 hours ago, Crush said:

Try Right-click in the folder you had v7.7 -> Properties -> Restore Previous versions

You may be lucky...

Hello, well I could have done that if I ever previously had installed launchbox, which was not the case.

anyways thanks to a very helpful person, I got finally launchbox 7.7 file and I have it installed and working properly (.net framework 4.6.1) in my for a long time to come offline classic/dos gaming machine (windows vista sp2)  : ), so thanks to everyone involved in this, really easy to launch, import games and all the stuff so well done keep up the good work!

maybe make available a last version working per OS, even stating that it doesn't get support, wouldn't be a bad idea (yes saw the stats posted in this thread and maybe we can be considered irrelevant in numbers but xp and vista are still a better option for gamers to play old game versions, than the compatibility workaround in newer windows.., even running them in cabinets or vm without internet, that also dont get reflected in those stats..)

There is only one person you would need to convince to offer a compatible version of Launchbox for Windows XP or Vista and that would be Jason himself. If I had a vote in it I would most certainly vote yes for the support. When I put together my shitty low powered HTPC I would have much preferred to have Windows XP on it but I wanted Launchbox so I opted for Windows 7 and it's running just fine.

I suggest making a ticket for it using the Issues / Requests link above and then make a post asking for votes for it. I will give my vote for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petrarka said:

Hello, well I could have done that if I ever previously had installed launchbox, which was not the case.

You could try to restore the folder you had the installer before you delete it. But now all is fine it seems. Enjoy!

@spycat

Hello spycat - would these be two different installations (one seems to say 4.6.1, the other 4.6), or different screenshots from the same one?

@petrarka

If the 7.7 version does indeed install on Vista, is the file obtainable somewhere on the net?

Thanks.