LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box Mode Crashed after new Windows 10 Creators Update 1703

blackstar1

@blackstar1 Unfortunately it sounds like you've probably run into a driver instability issue or a bug with the beta version of Windows 10. I would make sure you report it to Microsoft, but there might not be much you can do until Microsoft fixes it. I don't have any immediate ideas other than attempting to reinstall DirectX.

Generally, when using the fast track Windows 10 updates, you're going to run into more bugs, so I wouldn't recommend doing so unless you're willing to fight with them a bit, and sadly it sounds like you found one. I would try downgrading to the official version again for now to see if it fixes the issue. I'm pretty sure that's possible but honestly I haven't done it myself, so you'll probably have to do a bit of Googling. Very sorry I can't be more help with this.

Its not really the fast track update right now this is the same one that everyone is going to see on Tuesday when it is pushed out by MS. You don't even have to be in the insider program to install it its available to anyone with Windows 10

Edited by DOS76

2 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Its not really the fast track update right now this is the same one that everyone is going to see on Tuesday when it is pushed out by MS. You don't even have to be in the insider program to install it its available to anyone with Windows 10

In that case, let's hope it's not a mainstream issue on Tuesday, but it doesn't sound like it is. Probably still a driver or operating system bug. Historically, when LaunchBox or Big Box refuses to start at all it's typically a problem with DirectX or .NET.

Yeah I updated 14 PC's over the last 2 days and the only issue I ran into was I had to reinstall the chipset on one of my tablets so far its been working like a dream on everything I was testing it on the arcade machine and a few HTPC's and it seems great so far.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, blackstar1 said:

I knew that I'm not the only one.

Hey there blackstar1 and mmsiphone,

Only feedback i could provide is from my previous post... so this may or may not apply-  

after i upgraded to the creators build of windows 10,  i had a corrupt nvidia driver update (dated 4/5 or 4/6 if i recall) that caused constant crashing when launching any application that utilized direct-x (including Launch-box)

The solution for me was to to completely remove and re-install the latest nvidia driver. Once i did that, Launch-box and all other direct-x related applications are working great for me with the creators build update. I've have no further issues since.

if you are using an nvidia card, i would give that a try- thats what worked for me.

regards,

Mazjohn (aka Mr. Arcade)

1 hour ago, ckp said:

According to this site, you need the Nvidia video driver version that was updated to support the latest Win 10 creator update:

http://www.ghacks.net/2017/04/07/nvidia-geforce-driver-381-65-with-windows-10-creators-update-support/

I have already installed the newest NVIDIA driver 381.65.

I also re-install it just for case, but nothing changed.

1 minute ago, mmsiphone said:

I'm running the creators update with older drivers and everything is working fine

I used the older NVIDIA drivers first, but it crashed after I updated to the Creators Update.

With the newest NVIDIA drivers BigBox nothing changed,  BigBox still doesn't work.

1 hour ago, blackstar1 said:

I used the older NVIDIA drivers first, but it crashed after I updated to the Creators Update.

With the newest NVIDIA drivers BigBox nothing changed,  BigBox still doesn't work.

Have you tried downgrading until Microsoft gets it all ironed out? Supposedly that is an option according to MS.

I've read some game sites posting possible things to try to fix their apps crashing since the Creators update.

First thing was install latest video driver. 

Second thing was to try this since it gets enabled when you get the Creators update (can't hurt to try it):

We have seen that the latest update to Windows 10 has been re-enabling the Xbox Game DVR. 
Overwatch could crash and have other performance issues when the Xbox DVR is enabled. 
To disable the DVR, please try the steps below for disabling it: 
1) Open the Xbox app (by default it is pinned to the start menu but you can open it through apps if needed.) 
2) Sign in, goto settings and then gamedvr 
3) Switch off 'Record game clips and screenshots using Game DVR''

Oh, and another thing was to run dxdiag and see if there are any issues reported there.

Edited by ckp
  • Like 1