LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box Mode Crashed after new Windows 10 Creators Update 1703

blackstar1

Ahh,  I'm a little late to this party, but I had a similar issue last week (April 7th).   To make a long story short.   I also have an GTX(windforce)980TI and the newest update of the nvidia driver caused LB to Crash as described above.   However, I'm running windows 10pro (64bit) not a beta.    Having seen driver fails in the past, I went to the nvidia site and they updated to the newest build on April 6th (381.65).   I rolled back the driver to no avail.   BB still would not launch, but I was convinced it had to be the driver.    I manually downloaded the driver of the  previous build (378.92).  I had to manually delete the existing drivers and do a clean install.  I restarted my PC and Voila, BB works like a charm.   Then, feeling lucky, I updated to the newest driver using nvidia's control panel and had no issues.   So yeah...    Try doing a clean install of the driver.    

Wishing you best of luck.   I know how frustrating it is to have an unidentified gremlin lurking somewhere in the software. 

EDIT*******   

I do have the creators edition and not pro.    The creators updated on April 6th on my PC, the same day as a the driver update.   It's just a guess, but If a computer restart is not done before the update of the second program,  the driver will be corrupted.   I'm willing to guess that the people who are having trouble may have had the update on the same day without a restart in between as well.    luckily, I think it would affect only a small percentage of users.    

Edited by shadowdragon

1 hour ago, ciskohansen said:

Big box working when I have closed MSI Afterburner, if it is running background then BB crashes.Try this !!

Thank you mate, thats the problem.

Have you installed the latest MSI Afterburner version?

I don't updated the MSI Afterburner for a while.

So every major update will be treated like a new OS? Windows 8 to 8.1 wasn't that big of a jump I guess? That makes 2 major W10 updates that have no broken a lot of things. I was wondering if they would truly consider this their platform OS instead of an OS that was around for a few years while waiting for the new one. I guess we have our answer.

Yeah I basically install new builds of Windows all the time and for the most part they are really stable even with the fast track I've never run into major issue and if there are issues its touch drivers or network card doesn't work if you run into that you just go to the roll back option and it reinstalls your last build. I should mention that there is a 10 day cut off period though where this stops working so you need to find issues before then. For the most part I've been beta testing Windows since 2011. I've taken most of my computer off of the fast ring though and have them on the slow ring not do to issues but just needing to update way less.

20 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Yeah I basically install new builds of Windows all the time and for the most part they are really stable even with the fast track I've never run into major issue and if there are issues its touch drivers or network card doesn't work if you run into that you just go to the roll back option and it reinstalls your last build. I should mention that there is a 10 day cut off period though where this stops working so you need to find issues before then. For the most part I've been beta testing Windows since 2011. I've taken most of my computer off of the fast ring though and have them on the slow ring not do to issues but just needing to update way less.

Have you put it on your tablet yet DOS?  Mines been of for a couple of days so hasn't updated should I just go for it? any foreseeable issues?

1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

Yeah have my tablets running creator preview my Asus VivoTab Note 8 was the only computer that had an issue with the update it started without touch but I reinstalled the chipset and fixed it up real quick.

Well for a tablet to not have touch is a bit of a f up!!! I think ill risk it although it can wait till morning now I'm of to bed. Cheers fella.

For sure a tablet without touch is pretty useless I've had to roll back a few insider builds on a different machines due to touch issue but this time 5 out of 6 touchscreens worked after the update and it took longer to locate my micro-USB to USB adapter than it did for the chipset to reinstall (I have all the drivers from the OEM in a folder just for issue like this).

Edited by DOS76
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

For sure I've a tablet without touch is pretty useless I've had to roll back a few insider builds on a different machines due to touch issue but this time 5 out of 6 touchscreens worked after the update and it took longer to locate my micro-USB to USB adapter than it did for the chipset to reinstall (I have all the drivers from the OEM in a folder just for issue like this).

Good advice. Cheers fella.

This update even hit vmware. i updated my win 10 virtual machine and it can't boot up anymore (boots to black blank screen). It's caused by the vmware tools virtual video driver. So, if you want to update your VM, for now, you have to uninstall the virtual video drive or uninstall the vmware tools entirely before updating to the creators update.