LaunchBox Community Forums

Big box freezes after exiting a game

ciskohansen

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its Working!!!!

I did a complete uninstall, then opened explorer and did a search for launchbox. I then deleted anything and everything. Reinstalled newest version and it seems to be working now..

Just some info I am running Kodi with launch box extension. So I can enjoy my movies and my games. :) Everything is up to date as of now. I will report back if I have anymore trouble.. Going to re add my collection, and some themes. 

I just woke up and tried it again... not working now. the only think I added was snes9x. Going to do some more trouble shooting..

I am going to use this post as my troubleshooting log. It will be edited as I go

Removed snes9x, It works ok on playstation 2. PPSSPP its locking up. I am remoting into my media center using team viewer.

Pure system lock, takes me a bit to get team viewer to get CTRL ALT DEL to work to get task manager up to end task. The Media Center can't do it on its own.

Also to point out. Running through PPSSPP with out bigbox works fine. Also I have this same exact install on another PC and it all works fine.... 

Edited by AinsWorth

Well, I wouldn't be trying it first through a Teamviewer connection if I were you. First you need to test things out logged into the computer directly. Get rid of the extra layers of abstraction, and then see where things break down.

The only thing I am doing through team viewer is unlocking the media center. everything else is done with out.

Is their a crash log anywhere? That I could post.

Edit: I dont have alot of time today and my kids want to play :P

I am reverting back to 6.9 until I have more time. Works fine on that version regardless of what system I use.

Edited by AinsWorth

17 minutes ago, AinsWorth said:

I am reverting back to 6.9 until I have more time. Works fine on that version regardless of what system I use.

If everything is the same but the LB version and it works on 6.9, that is very interesting and sure seems like a bug.

• 1 year later...
27 minutes ago, Daliant said:

I'm still having this problem on latest BigBox/Launchbox version...

It not occurs always, but sometimes (a lot times with MAME) BigBox frezzes when exit game and need to close program with admin task manager.

It's a worring bug.....

Is it freezing in Launchbox Next or BigBox (or both)? I do see you said BigBox, just want to confirm as I do no think the new release affected BigBox. The changes were just for Launchbox. 

In Mame what do you have your video set as? (auto, openGL, d3d) Reason I ask is I had the same issue. It would freeze exiting Mame on any video setting other than openGL. During the last betas Jason was able to have us test a few things and they fixed the freeze I was getting. Oddly enough it is this stable release that Jason added the changes. Can you try changing your Mame video to openGL if it is not already set to that and see if it still freezes. 

3 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Is it freezing in Launchbox Next or BigBox (or both)? I do see you said BigBox, just want to confirm as I do no think the new release affected BigBox. The changes were just for Launchbox. 

In Mame what do you have your video set as? (auto, openGL, d3d) Reason I ask is I had the same issue. It would freeze exiting Mame on any video setting other than openGL. During the last betas Jason was able to have us test a few things and they fixed the freeze I was getting. Oddly enough it is this stable release that Jason added the changes. Can you try changing your Mame video to openGL if it is not already set to that and see if it still freezes Launchbox Next. 

It's freezing in BigBox only. How can I see my video set inside Mame? I can't find this option on system menu/video... Only can change the view mode (4:3, 16:9, cropp,...)

4 minutes ago, Charco said:

Ok, you may have a conflict with your UI Cancel in MAME. I had this. Go into the MAME UI by pressing the Tab key and navigate to interface controls. Is it set to Esc? Change UI Cancel to something else, mine is Select + X. 

In Mame I have the same combination key buttons to exit, in my case (back + button 2) This is the same combination I use on ALL Launchbox/Bigbox platforms to exit a game and return to Launchbox/Bigbox.

Still saying that this bug is not happeninng everytime, but it happens a lot of times I use BigBox. Another thing is if the first system I play is not Mame, normally this bug not occurs, but if the first system I attemp to use inside Bigbox after launch it is Mame, normaly 90% times bug occurs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Just now, Charco said:

Yeah I think you are having a conflict with controller automation and UI Cancel being set to the same buttons. Have you changed this in MAME and trsted it? This resolved the issue for me.

In Mame (standalone, outside Bigbox) this combination works well for me.

Are you meaning I need to change the combination inside Mame to other different that Bigbox uses to exit a game?

41 minutes ago, Charco said:

Yes, change it in MAME to something else to test. Then see if the new combo works and exits to Big Box without freezing.

Ok, changed UI cancel combination to (start + button 2) and now seems the problem is solved.

The only thing is now I can't exit Mame with my general exit combination (select + button 2). This combination works on all other platforms, but now if I want exit mame need to use (start + button 2).