LaunchBox Community Forums

RetroArch, Scanlines and Shades! Oh My!

latin625

So when you launch a game, and press F1, this will load the RA menu and should put you in the Quick Menu by default. If not, the Quick Menu only shows up on the first tab when a game is loaded. From here, go down to Shaders, then go to "Load preset". Choose a category of presets (CG, GLSL and Slang). I normally choose CG or GLSL. I believe one is for DirectX and the other is for OpenGL, which I believe is GLSL, so it depends on the driver you're using and the system. For the most part, those two work though. Then, from there, it will list category folders. Go in to them and search around for something you like. Load the preset and then you'll see the Shaders menu change and list all the shader passes.

The more shader passes there are, the more power it may require. That's not always the case, but the more layers it adds it certainly requires more power. Once you've selected it, choose Apply Changes. If you use custom configs, the shader settings will be made for that config, or you can save it as a core or game preset, which should automatically load for that game / core. If you don't like a shader, reduce the shader passes to 0, then apply changes. Choose another shader to test them out. When you select something you like finally, don't forget to save the core or game preset, or make sure you're loading the right custom config.

• Like 1

Step one: open a game. Games need to be open for the menu to appear. With game open press f1 if you haven't changed it, which will bring up the menu, go to "quick menu" then scroll down to shaders set shader passes to one or more, then click and find the shaders you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I switch around once in a while depending on my mood. When I like heavier scanlines I like crt-aperture but easymode-halation or one of the hyllian shaders. Another one I like and used to use it all the time is royale-kurozumi in the \cgp folder. Your display resolution and colours may vary with it and how good it looks. Check it out though because it is a really good shader if you want the high quality PVM look.

Shaders are all personal preference so take a look at them all and take note of the ones you like til you find the right one.

Glad you liked the tutorial.

• Like 2

I prefer no scanlines myself, and instead prefer as clean of upscaling as I can get. On 3D systems, generally no shaders if it can scale internal resolution or scale up and have it look good. On 2D systems I generally prefer the Pixellate shader in the Retro folder. I like things to not be rounded or blurry.