LaunchBox Community Forums

LB inspires me to learn programming....

cleverest

for the love of video games too, but I want to be able to code something on part of a windows application, supporting meta sync/grabbing, media loving features, like the awesomesauce that is LB; certainly nothing that would compete, but only for personal use...more interested in something for movies of all makes and flavors.

I'm wondering, what programming  launguages/resources will get me there easier?  I've dabbled in C and Visual C/C++ before, but only to the point of generating a text interactive game...which is to say, not much...

Solid advice and pointers from you  @Jason Carror others with application experience and knowledge on that level would be greatly appreciated!! Is Launchbox created with Visual C++ ??

Thanks!

- Brett

Edited by cleverest
  • Like 1

Noble goals, I know nothing about coding so cant help you there. However Jason is currently live streaming over here.

https://www.twitch.tv/jasondavidcarr

Getting his fingers dirty In c#.

Oh and if you want Jason to see a post you need to tag him in, like so @Jason Carr. Do the @ then start typing the name and a little pop up will show just below what you are typing, click the username, voila!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cleverest said:

Thanks a lot, I didn't know that!

Every Monday and Wednesday, Jason streams live developement of launchbox/bigbox, he also now streams on the youtube channel at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSIht6UXIEXIgz4eXAEShxA

Cant really tell you what time it depends where in the world you are. But it is a set time Monday and Wednesday. :) 

11 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

God im old, barely had a computer when i was at school, now all the kids want to do is code. I am being sarcastic its awesome, but god i wish i was twenty years younger.

I wish I was 20 years older so I could've experienced the absolute beginnings of personal computing. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Hi @cleverest, we're going to be adding proper plugin support very soon, so maybe you can hop in on that direction soon! I always recommend starting with either Visual Basic or C#. C++ is a bit too antiquated and difficult these days; you're much better off with .NET. :)

Sounds great! I'll probably go with C#, I have a rudimentary understanding of variables and some commands in it...I have a long road ahead of me...any revolutionary books/tutorials to help accelerate my progress that you are aware of??  I won't hold you to it!

1 hour ago, cleverest said:

Sounds great! I'll probably go with C#, I have a rudimentary understanding of variables and some commands in it...I have a long road ahead of me...any revolutionary books/tutorials to help accelerate my progress that you are aware of??  I won't hold you to it!

Everyone learns differently, but I myself have never found a book that helpful in learning a language. These days, at least for me, the best course of action is to set out to build something and Google any questions that come up. :)

• Like 1

before I approach the code/language itself... with the goal of not wasting my efforts down the wrong road or reinventing the same code I write 100 times...do you personally have a process in place when you want to come up with a new programming idea/Arron of how to lay it out, mind-map or diagram it, and how to basically be best prepared to make sure that you're going in the right direction at least? Any sort of outline prep you do? 

Thanks.

@cleverest: Agreed, having a general outline of your software is a good idea. Reading about object-oriented design including design patterns might be helpful to you. When learning the language itself, I'll echo Jason and just say dive in, use Google for examples, etc. Once you understand the fundamentals of programming, it's really not that hard to pick up another language.

On 4/27/2017 at 8:37 AM, cleverest said:

before I approach the code/language itself... with the goal of not wasting my efforts down the wrong road or reinventing the same code I write 100 times...do you personally have a process in place when you want to come up with a new programming idea/Arron of how to lay it out, mind-map or diagram it, and how to basically be best prepared to make sure that you're going in the right direction at least? Any sort of outline prep you do? 

Thanks.

Reinventing the wheel is a huge part of the learning process. You don't know what you don't know. 

Most people spend far too much time agonizing over how to get started. 

The best learning experiences are when you find a problem you want to solve, and conclude that writing a piece of software is best solution to that problem. As often as possible you should be writing code for your own purpose, and it should be fun. 

• Like 2

Excellent advice; I'd love to code something fun like a 2D game of some sort. But that seems way ahead of what I can do l, and not be frustrated with at the start...Gonna try to think of a plugin that can help Launchbox be even more awesome; not sure WHAT that will be yet....

A 2d game is not at all out of the reach of a novice programmer. I would start with a simple 2d game first to get your feet wet. Maybe tic tac toe. 

Java or javascript have some very simple 2d libraries that make it very easy to draw simple shapes and to move them across the screen. It won't be Super Mario bros, but it will be a game. If writing games is what you want to do, then I would jump on that as soon as possible. You can do it your own way, or follow guided instruction. There are numerous books on the topic. 

• Like 1