LaunchBox Community Forums

Help with Colecovision set up

heelsinc

3 minutes ago, mothergoose729 said:

I got colecovision working in MAME within retroarch, however it was such a stupidly obtuse setup that is, as far as I can tell, an entirely documented capability that I really don't recommend it. The accuracy is probably amazing, but the performance is also pretty poor considering the era of the system. My gaming PC can handle it, but performance intensive shaders cause noticeable slow down. 

Standalone MAME or dedicated emulator would be the best bet. Don't use MAME in retroarch for anything but quick and easy Arcade games.

lol, that's what 3 layers of inception??? It works, touch nothing!!!!!! :)

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

If a shader is impacting performance it is most likely your video card.

I use stand alone Mame for ColecoVision.

It might be something to do with the way RA handles everything. It is a pretty beefy video card, as far as those go. 

In general, I have to use lighter shader presets with MAME in RA than I do with well... any other core. 

It's possible Mame pushes your CPU pretty hard. I use a lowly Radeon 7800 series card (1 gig gddr5 vram) in my shitty HTPC and it handles any shader without issue but I also don't use RA Mame on it, I use stand alone Mame with HLSL and it's fine for the most part. The more modern and CPU heavy games like Caves shooter hit it pretty good.

• 6 years later...
26 minutes ago, Corsario said:

Did anyone made retroarch to work with coleco? I get the BIOS MISSING message if I use retroarch gearcoleco, but I have the BIOS. I Downloaded gearcoleco, used the same BIOS and worked

What name is your bios rom file? Gearcoleco requires colecovision.rom.

12 hours ago, Corsario said:

Yes. Correct md5. And located in systems. I used that rom with gearcoleco (not libretto) and works good

Really not sure then. I switched cores to Gearcoleco and renamed the bios rom file and Retroarch runs all my Coleco games with no issue. Just for info, I'm running Retroarch 1.16 and Gearcoleco 1.0.1.