LaunchBox Community Forums

Help with Colecovision set up

heelsinc

So I followed the instructions to get it set up but nothing loads from launchbox.  I checked in mess and think it's a problem there.  I tested Donkey Kong directly through mess and got a message that said "the selected machine is missing one or more required rom or chd image" can someone explain to me what this means?

5 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

I would just skip MESS and use a newer version of stand alone MAME

Yea but then don't I need to download the new roms pack and stuff.  Both these emulators are such a disaster from a user friendly stand point and that's with me being some what familiar with how it all works from watching the tutorials that Brad did. 

I like ColEm but I don't care for its UI and hate its video settings plus it could really use a touch overlay for Windows like the Android version has, it is virtually useless in fullscreen with a tablet due to lack of numbers but I can't figure out how to contact the dev and even request it be added.

1 minute ago, DOS76 said:

I like ColEm but I don't care for its UI and hate its video settings plus it could really use a touch overlay for Windows like the Android version has, it is virtually useless in fullscreen with a tablet due to lack of numbers but I can't figure out how to contact the dev and even request it be added.

Yeah the ui is shit, but thats what Bigbox is for once you have it set you never need to see it again. ;) 

• 4 months later...
On 5/7/2017 at 5:50 AM, neil9000 said:

I personally use colem for colecovision, its a standalone emu.

https://fms.komkon.org/ColEm/

Not trying to be a jackhole, but ColEm is just a dreadful program that refuses to work in Launchbox or Hyperspin. Apologies, I just warched Brad's tutorial using Mame. I will try this next weekend. 

Edited by HerpDerp67
Added another line.

1 hour ago, HerpDerp67 said:

Not trying to be a jackhole, but ColEm is just a dreadful program that refuses to work in Launchbox or Hyperspin. Apologies, I just warched Brad's tutorial using Mame. I will try this next weekend. 

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion, and they are just that opinions. My opinion is that ColEm just works, at least for me, i launch games through Launchbox with it with no issues at all, i didn't even need any command line parameters just pointed Launchbox at the exe and imported my roms. So for me that was a lot easier to setup and use than going the mess route, but as i said, opinions. :)  

As has been said above, both ColEm and MAME emulates ColecoVision no problem.
If you want to try another option, blueMSX can also emulate ColecoVision. You can add your ColecoVision platform to blueMSX as an Associated Platform and the Default Parameters are
/machine "COL - ColecoVision" /rom1

I got colecovision working in MAME within retroarch, however it was such a stupidly obtuse setup that is, as far as I can tell, an entirely documented capability that I really don't recommend it. The accuracy is probably amazing, but the performance is also pretty poor considering the era of the system. My gaming PC can handle it, but performance intensive shaders cause noticeable slow down. 

Standalone MAME or dedicated emulator would be the best bet. Don't use MAME in retroarch for anything but quick and easy Arcade games.

Edited by mothergoose729