LaunchBox Community Forums

[Request] Image size, image spacing, and more

garbanzo

A few suggestions/requests:

1. A slider to dynamically change the size of game images in the main window

2. Option to automatically adjust horizontal spacing between games to fill available space in main window (prevent extra space on the right side)

3. Ability to paste images into the Edit Game window

4. Ability to remove images from the Details pane (right-click, remove image)

5. Ability to set defaults for image searches in LBDB and EmuMovies so I don't have to click all those radio boxes every single time

6. Option to show game rating in main window, maybe as an overlay image, or as the last line of the game text.

7. Tabbed side bar

8. Option to have game images in Details bar enlarge to fit to width

That's all for now, I'll add to my list later :)

1 is available in LB (I'm note sure which program the suggestions are for LB or BB) There should be slider in the bottom right corner if you have the bottom bar enabled in the view on the LB menu.

2 You can mess with the spacing in LB if you have the premium version but I'm not sure if it does what you are asking as I've never really played with that feature.

3 Not doable but a good suggestion.

4 same as 3 best you can currently do is edit the game and remove the images there.

5 Also not a bad idea and one I've seen suggested before.

6 turn on show games details on hover in views.

7 Brilliant.

8 Not sure if this is what you man but you can stretch your games detail pane and make your images and videos larger but LB won't save your adjustment and you will need to do it whenever you restart the program.

Edited by DOS76

1. I don't have the button bar enabled since most functions can be performed with hotkeys, so that explains why I have never seen it. It would be nice to have an option to put it in the menu bar. Or maybe support CTRL+mousewheel for resizing images.

2. I'm asking for auto-adjust. The file manager Directory Opus recently added this option for thumbnails view, and it's amazing.

3. Why not doable? Calibre (ebook manager) and MusicBee (music manager) both support pasting images into file properties dialog boxes.

4. Unacceptable! The process can and must be streamlined! Right now, images in the sidebar respond to both right and left clicks in the same way. Why not add a context menu and make use of that left click? Options could include View Image, Copy Image, Remove Image, Open Parent Folder, Open Image With... (that last one is particularly handy if you want to open the image in an image editor for some quick adjusting, then save it back to the proper folder).

5. Again, streamline the process. It can take more time to adjust the settings before an import than it does to actually import the files.

6. Hover requires interaction. I would like to see ratings without having to hover. File manager Directory Opus has an option to overlay rating stars on top of thumbails for image files. It's a nice feature.

7. I'm drawing inspiration from foobar2000, which is of course fully customization, but one element I make use of in my config is a tabbed side bar so I can switch between filters and playlists with a single click. Which reminds me - when are we getting true nested (iTunes-style) filters in LB? I asked for that years ago :)

8. No, I mean an option to stretch screenshots to fill the width of the game details pane when the width of the image is smaller than the width of the pane.

Thanks for considering all my awesome ideas :P

For 3 I don't mean it isn't ever doable just not at the moment.

To be honest the forums aren't a good place to make request though as they kind of just get lost in the shuffle with the amount of post that come through you should make bitbucket requests for every individual request that you want to see added you can do that by clicking the issues request button in the sites menu if you use BitBucket make sure to vote for your own request and then you could even link them in this thread and try to get other people to see them.

Edited by DOS76

Fair enough, I suppose. But posts like this only get "lost in the shuffle" if you allow them to. I provided my feedback on your product already, so I won't be re-submitting it in a format that is more convenient for you.

Be careful though - if you choose to ignore the voice of your customers because of how they prefer to communicate with you, then you do so at your own peril. Remember, it's your customers who get to decide whether or not LaunchBox fits their needs and is worth paying for - not you :)

Yeah I am in no way affiliated with the product and I only represent myself here. I'm sharing with you how things are done here if you are not interested in doing so that is totally your decision.

Also I don't know how I warrant that attitude I've done nothing but try to provide you with information out of my own free time a mistake I won't make in the future.

Edited by DOS76
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, garbanzo said:

I provided my feedback on your product already, so I won't be re-submitting it in a format that is more convenient for you.

Well that is of course up to you, but clearly the features you want are not actually that important to you if you cant be bothered to spend five minutes submitting a request the same way that everbody else does. The bitbucket is the best way to submit requests and is where all users get pointed to when they want a feature added.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, garbanzo said:

Fair enough, I suppose. But posts like this only get "lost in the shuffle" if you allow them to. I provided my feedback on your product already, so I won't be re-submitting it in a format that is more convenient for you.

Be careful though - if you choose to ignore the voice of your customers because of how they prefer to communicate with you, then you do so at your own peril. Remember, it's your customers who get to decide whether or not LaunchBox fits their needs and is worth paying for - not you :)

No, they get lost in the shuffle when you post them on the forums for the consideration of many individuals... who have nothing to do with LB's development... and expect that that's going to impact said development. Launchbox has one developer - Jason. It's not "our" product. We're all customers here too. It's a product that many of us use regularly and are experienced enough with to voluntarily provide assistance to people such as yourself when questions arise; preferably those questions are posed with a hint less entitlement and snark. The tools for you to make your requests are available. It's up to you whether or not you choose to use them; but don't go into the parking lot of a business, shout some grievances in the direction of their office, and expect them to revise their product line.

• Like 3

Listen folks, I know I'm being stubborn, but it's not without reason. In the world of customer service, there is a significant difference between transactional interactions and relational interactions. I prefer the latter, which is why I always press 0 to speak with a customer service representative rather than suffer through pre-recorded menus and crappy voice recognition systems.

Unfortunately for me, relational interactions are less convenient for service providers than transactional interactions. They are harder to keep track of and report on, and they require more time to deal with. Which is why we have ended up where we are now. But in situations like this, the service provider needs to decide if it's better to inconvenience a paid employee or a paying customer. To me, the choice is obvious, but not everyone is as customer-oriented as I am.

I actually ran into a very similar situation at work recently. Customers would call in to our service center with a problem, and our service center would tell them to go online and submit a request. Our customers didn't like getting the run-around, and since we exist for our customers, and since it is our job to do what we can to increase customer satisfaction rather than to decrease it, I decided to do something to fix the problem. Now, instead of re-directing our customers, our service center staff take the time to enter requests that come in via telephone on our customers' behalf. Yes, it costs us a little more time and money to deal with our customers directly instead of just brushing them off, but in the long run our customers are happier, and happy customers are good for business.

Anyway, now that we've got forum moderators throwing facetious comments into the thread and complaining that I'm acting entitled (I am a paying customer after all), I'm going to tap out. If the developer wants to listen to my suggestions, that's great. If he or she chooses not to  because I didn't submit them properly, well that's OK too.