LaunchBox Community Forums

WiiWare Questions

angelobodetti

Hi All,

I have a few questions about WiiWare.

- Are WiiWare roms specific to WiiWare? Meaning are they also regular Wii games that you can purchase? Or are they download only titles?
- Do you just emulate them in Dolphin the same way you would if they were Wii or GC ISO files?
- Is Virtual Console different? I am thinking VC is for old Nintendo games and consoles and WiiWare were modern downloadable games specific to the Wii?

Thank you!

Edited by angelobodetti

Thank you - And is it worth adding it to my collection? Meaning I didn't add Virtual Consoe because I already have those old systems running and I don't need them again. SO are the WiiWare games specific to WiiWare or would they be duplicates with other titles I have?

Thanks again.

WiiWare is worth adding for the exclusives, yes. Having games like Castlevania Rebirth, Gradius Rebirth, Contra Rebirth,  Lost Winds 1 and 2, World of Goo, and Mega Man 9 and 10 in Big Box is pretty cool. I added mine in my Wii platform as opposed to creating a separate WiiWare platform.

• Like 1

Thank you - I tested a bunch of games and they all work. Does anyone know specifically which games will use a GameCube controller and not the WiiMote? I want to test those now but every game I loaded assumed a WiiMote.

Also - Are mos of you using real wiimote or using the dolphin "emulate wiimote" and using your controller?

I have real wiimotes setup but i'd prefer to use a controller if it works well. I never play motion sensor games on there.

Edited by angelobodetti

I use the emulate option. If a game requires a Wii Mote, I'll use the left half of my controller and my mouse. Mouse is the pointer, left and right click, and maybe the scroll wheel for extra buttons (I also have a 3rd face button on my mouse). Otherwise, I use the Wii Classic or GameCube controller options in the menu for as many games as support it (which is quite a lot).

As for if Wii Ware is worth it, for the games it has it's totally worth it. It's even worth it to do Virtual Console in some cases, like Nintendo 64. The VC titles can run much better ironically than through PJ64 or MupenPlus in RA, in some instances. The Wii Ware platform currently exists too, but it's going to be merged with Wii when the systems finally do get merged. So just a forewarning for anyone that wants to make the playlist, if they get merged don't forget to set your Wii Ware platform to Scrape As Wii.

I believe you have to turn off "Enable Dual Core" in Dolphin to get Castlevania working, otherwise it freezes in that same spot everytime. There are a couple of games like that, if you know how to set that up in the game.ini's in dolphin you can do that and it will override your Dolphin settings so you don't have to keep switching it. I did that for all my Wii and Wiiware games for things like that and so it loads the correct controller profile (emulated Wiimote, classic controller, etc) for each game automatically.

Edited by madpossum
  • Like 1