LaunchBox Community Forums

Mednafen standalone emulator won't launch in launchbox

MCGodzilla

Hey guys. I didn't see anyone else having this issue and I need help. I tried using the latest Beetle/Mednafen core for sega saturn, and unfortunately many of the games have sound issues when ran through that core and retroarch. But I downloaded mednafen standalone and they work fine.

I added the Mednafen emulator to launchbox, set the application path to the mednafen app, checked the box to be default for Sega Saturn. It will not run. In fact, it still runs off of retroarch. So I tried just deleting that line in retroarch, which gave me nothing working.

I feel like I'm missing something here, but I followed the instructions for adding emulators to a T. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yes, if you've already imported the games into your library it's not going to change the currently assigned emulator of your existing library entries. You'll need to change it as @neil9000 said.

Regarding "sound issues" with the core, my suggestion would be to go to your settings -> video and reducing your frame delay (assuming it's not already 0). Mednafen Saturn is fairly demanding and it'll be difficult for most PCs to handle a frame delay that would otherwise be considered normal for most cores. If it's set higher than your PC can handle you'll get audio stuttering. Personally, most of my cores are set to a delay of 5 or so and I believe I had to reduce Mednafen Saturn to around 1 or 2. I've got quite a few Saturn games (100ish) setup to use the Mednafen Saturn core in RA and don't have any audio issues with them... once I reduced the frame delay. You want it as high as you can get it (to reduce input latency) without impacting performance (sound stuttering).

Yep, that's another good tip. It has some impact on vsync behavior and input latency but can also improve performance. Generally you want it off if things are running smoothly without it but it can be a good option if you're running something particularly demanding and your hardware isn't quite up to snuff.