LaunchBox Community Forums

Image Scraping

THRobinson

Where does LaunchBox scrape from?

I know with KODI, I scrape from TMDB, and I made an account and did a lot of custom cover artwork for stuff that was missing, low quality or just the wrong dimensions (2:3).

Is there a site like that where LaunchBox scrapes from? where I can create an account and help make artwork for games that have none?

Ah.... Games DB from the main page, pretty handy.

Not finding the rules though... like TMDB.

Looking at (for example) Bad Dudes for the arcade. NES has a good cover, arcade version I think is a magazine ad. In cases like that, am I permitted to grab the NES cover, and photoshop it to remove the NES logos and such and upload as a cover option for Arcade? Are there preferred size/resolutions?

Well you could do that with the NES cover but it would have to be submitted as a reconstructed Box front not a box front since there is no actual box front and it wouldn't be official so it would most likely be rejected by the mods.

Yup... unlikely woulda found that one on my own. :)

So... says (what? no copy/paste!)... "reconstructed box art can not be used in any other category then the reconstructed category" or something like that.

If I click upload, dropdown has a reconstructed box front and back... but as mentioned, Arcade games had no boxes. I guess use the box front. Though seems kinda splitting hairs when they also have a "fan art" section since likely most fan art is using pre-existing artwork, not original art.

3 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

The fact these aren't linked on the main page of the DB seems like an oversight

If it's there I missed it... which I'm not ruling out, but, I scrolled to the bottom of the long list of consoles and figured maybe at the very bottom, but not there either.

I didn't read the whole thread @DOS76 i was just replying to this quote,

16 minutes ago, THRobinson said:

If I click upload, dropdown has a reconstructed box front and back... but as mentioned, Arcade games had no boxes. I guess use the box front. Though seems kinda splitting hairs when they also have a "fan art" section since likely most fan art is using pre-existing artwork, not original art.

Well magazine ad, flyer... same dif.

In either case, if it's considered reconstructed to modify NES artwork and I can only upload reconstructed artwork to the reconstructed category, of which there are none for flyer art... it makes things that much more difficult. :D

Personally, I'd prefer to have box/poster like art (like KODI uses) than an advertisement where most of the image is occupied with, well, advertising the game.

I like to give back to communities like this, I have about 1700 edits in the TMDB, half of which is custom artwork. I don't have the tech skills to help anyone on here, but I do have a diploma in graphic design so, hoped to help that way.

• Like 1