LaunchBox Community Forums

"Other machines", like with GameEx?

Asterra

Been perusing my front end options.  Had to abandon HyperSpin because its video playback (for everything -- transitions, video snaps, etc.) is extraordinarily dodgy and can't keep a solid, tearing-free framerate, even on my desktop PC, let alone the laptop I intend to use for this.  Had to abandon mGalaxy because its video snap playback is jerky.  Had to abandon GameEx because it can't be done in a portable capacity.  I can't judge LaunchBox because the free iteration only provides its (sorry) rather sluggish default theme, which doesn't seem to include any sort of video playback option.  But I've seen hints that other themes can flow smoothly, so I thought I'd see how feasible it may be as an option.

One of the things I really liked from GameEx was how, when you selected a particular game during your browsing, it would by default provide a list of all the other (available) iterations of that same game.  So, for example, you're browsing "Atari 7800" and you find Donkey Kong, well in addition to playing a video and giving you some information on the game, it provides a list below: Atari 2600 version, Arcade version, Vic-20 version, etc.  And highlighting each shows the corresponding video snap so you can very quickly compare them.  Quite a neat idea.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that this is currently possible in LaunchBox, and if that's the case, then I suppose this can be considered a request to add to the pile.  That said, the directions for flagging this post as such are a little vague.

• Like 1

No, that is not a feature in Launchbox as of yet, I am also not sure if there is a bitbucket feature request for it or not. You can check the Issues/Requests link at the top of the page for the bitbucket page and look to see if the feature has been requested.

As for everything else you had to say about every other frontend and Launchbox's default desktop mode being too slow I can only say that you most likely have a very weak computer or a problem with your computer.

also seems like there is some confusion here between the differences of LB and BB most of those videos you are seeing are of BB the only issue is that if you are seeing performance issues with HS on that laptop the LB probably isn't going to do it for you either.