LaunchBox Community Forums

What is your favorite thing or special feature in Launchbox?

JaysArcade

I've had a few negative posts lately. To try to bring Balance to the Force, I thought I would try to start a positive thread for people to talk about their favorite things about Launchbox. Seems like we are all always asking for new features, or for Jason to implement this or that. So without further ado, here are 3 of my favorite features about Launchbox. Most of my favorite things are things I had never seen in other frontends before I switched to Launchbox (I've been around a while). I think its easy to take for granted how amazing some of this stuff is to have available.

1. Videos for the platform/game themes. When I started out with emulating through a front-end there were just images for games. We called them snaps, I think they are still called that in MAME. Shortly after I got involved, video snaps became a thing and then Emumovies came into existance. Hyperspin used a lot of videos in its themes but still its themes were/are rendered as Flash. The whole videos as themes seems so obvious now, but back in the day it was pretty un-heard of.

2. Scraping for artwork. Not sure when this became a thing, not even sure it was a Launchbox idea, but I do like the way it works - with a few exceptions. Generally it is pretty seamless unless it comes to specialized systems such as HBMAME or Pinball. Still, its a tough feature to beat.

3. Easy to use Theming Engine. OK, disclaimer here, I don't use the theming engine at all. But I can judge its ease of use by how many people contribute to it. I have seen lots of other frontends and programs become stagnant and wither on the vine because no one is creating themes or skins for them. Gotta admit, we have some amazing theme and content creators here.

Well that's it for now. What are some of your favorite features about Launchbox? 

Edited by JaysArcade
spelling/grammer
  • Like 1

This is a simple one for me.

Ease of use.

Before Launchbox I tried most of the other front end options and Launchbox was the only one where I had it up and running loading games with an emulator in 5-10 minutes without the need to read or watch a tutorial video first.

• Like 1

I'll have to go pretty much word for word what Lordmonkus said I had no luck messing with Hyperspin and limited success with GameEx when I found LB I imported my games and they worked. I bought the premium the same night for $10 (pre-BigBox era) and haven't looked back since.

• Like 1

Media, metadata, and emumovies. I was writing playlists by hand in retroarch before I switched over. Getting media together for that simple front end was a bitch. 

Bigbox is pretty sweet too. 

There is a lot of things I could say about LB actually. The only "problems" I have with LB is that it doesn't have every feature on my wishlist... yet. 

• Like 1

It's too many to list. But my favorite part of launchbox is it's growth. When I first started tinkering with it, replacing the almost half a decade hyperspin set up was unthinkable to me. Then feature after feature after feature, Jason's responsiveness. Seems like every weekend its something new and awesome. It's been a genuine pleasure catching that wave. And of course, have to shout out to emumovies for basically the same reason. So my personal favorite feature of launchbox is that it evolves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Like 1