LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch Core Remap File help

Zaazu

Hello,

Here is my situation, I'm using the Genesis Plus GX core for a couple of systems, such as the Sega Genesis and the Sega Master System. I've remapped some keys for the Master System and they stay changed for the Genesis, I want to have separate key maps for each system and the only way I can think of doing that is to have separate remap files. This method works but doesn't auto load when I choose a game via launchbox.

So my question is, what is the command line parameter for loading a Core Remap File? If I know the command then I can just edit the emulator settings in launcbox.

Thanks

lol yeah that is an awful idea that is for sure.

I'm not sure it's such a big deal though, the Genesis GX core is one of the few that supports a couple of different systems with different enough controllers. And the 2 Master System button layout is very good as it is, on an XBox controller it would be A and B by default.

8 hours ago, lordmonkus said:

lol yeah that is an awful idea that is for sure.

I'm not sure it's such a big deal though, the Genesis GX core is one of the few that supports a couple of different systems with different enough controllers. And the 2 Master System button layout is very good as it is, on an XBox controller it would be A and B by default.

I prefer using A and X instead of A and B, just feels better to me.

3 hours ago, DOS76 said:

You could make another instance of RA in your directory then add that as another emulator in LB and then use one for Genesis and the other for SMS.

I might have to do that if it comes down to it, but its a bit hacky, i can't believe there isn't an easier way to be honest.

5 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

I guess you could create a custom config with the mappings the way you wanted it and load the custom config with the command line in LB for the Associated Platform.

Do the configs also save the key remaps?

I think I've found a workaround.

I've made a test AHK script that goes into the Autohotkey Script tab in Manage Emulators > Retroarch:

FileCopy, D:\LaunchBox\Emulators\RetroArch\config\remaps\Genesis Plus GX\AHK\Sega Master System.rmp, D:\LaunchBox\Emulators\RetroArch\config\remaps\Genesis Plus GX\Genesis Plus GX.rmp, 1

It copies the file to where RetroArch expects it to be, then renames it to the core. This causes RetroArch to automatically load the config.

Is there any way for me to check in the AHK script what core is being called?

Edited by Zaazu

• 2 years later...

hi all i know this is post is pretty old but i had a similar problem what i did is make system specific .cfg for all the 2 button systems (Sega Master System.cfg Sega Game Gear.cfg and Sega SG-1000.cfg) and then open them in a text editor press control+f to search for text and type in remap. the second or maybe third line that contains remap should point to the dir where remaps are found. default should be ":\configs\remaps". i simply added a new dir so now it is ":\configs\remaps\sega". then save and close. next go create the new dir on the drive (open retroarch folder then configs folder then remaps folder and make a new folder named Sega.) next go back to the remaps folder and copy (DON'T CUT) the Genesis plus EX folder and paste it into the new Sega folder. Launch retroarch load one of the new system .cfg files then launch a game enter the quick menu go to controls and set up your new binds to use x a buttons instead of a and b buttons and then save the core remap config and you should be good to go. hope this helps someone out there. i imagine you could crate a second configs folder and do something similar using 2 seperate genesis plus ex.cfg files if the system specific cfg doesn't work for some reason in lauchbox my setup is in rocketlauncher and hs so im not very knowledgeable about launchbox but it worked like a charm for me. Happy gamiing alll!!!!

1 hour ago, chunks009 said:

i imagine you could crate a second configs folder and do something similar using 2 seperate genesis plus ex.cfg files if the system specific cfg doesn't work for some reason in lauchbox my setup is in rocketlauncher and hs so im not very knowledgeable about launchbox but it worked like a charm for me. Happy gamiing alll!!!!

Not 100% sure but it appears you are dealing with cores that support multiple systems that have different controls?

If so, a much easier method is just put each system in a different folder and save a per directory remap. Works like a charm.