LaunchBox Community Forums

after 1 year still cant get mame to hold onto joystick port mappings

Hi all,

been having this issue for over 1 year now. Mame isn't holding onto joystick port mappings on re-boot with Xbox one wireless controllers....  since v .170 all the way up to the current release of 0.187,  I've tried everything imaginable without success....   Without a reliable Mame, my  launch-box  build is severely lacking. Windows 10 and the wireless adapter seem to randomly assign different joystick ports everytime the system is powered off and back on. Mame resets the port mappings back to default every single time my machine is turned off and back on. If the wireless controllers are not powered on, mame also wipes the controller mappings...  

wondering if I Am i the only one with these issues? im using xbox one wireless controllers with Launch-box connected to an HTPC over a 10 ft interface on the couch... wired controllers are not an option here. I cant seem to emulate the older mame32 stuff with mame .187 using retroarch cores otherwise i would dump mame completely.

I Appreciate any help , feedback or thoughts ...     also are there other types of wireless controllers that i could switch over to to prevent this? anyone have success ?     apologies for the rant....lol

Edited by mazjohn

Did you set your .cfg files in the \cfg\ folder to read only after setting them ?

A few days ago someone was mentioning this problem and doing that fixed it for them. I personally have not run into this issue with my HTPC and wireless controller, but I also have never loaded Mame without the controller on.

Thanks, so far That seems to be working. Whats odd, is that I've previously made the default config file read only without success.... however by making the whole folder read only seems to be blocking the configuration from being wiped. I had to go into advanced permissions and remove write access for all users for it to work. Oddly, using the same ports restricted to read only works regardless to what windows assigns!

Lordmonkus, regrettably I spoke too soon. same problem has returned as described in my original post. does anyone use mameUI.exe with launchbox that could provide any other suggestions?  anyone else experience this and could share ideas?  as stated above, Joystick mappings get deleted on wireless controllers upon relaunch or reboot. apparently the Mame  application has major problems with joystick detection and settings retention. other emulators dont have this issue for me. Of course with my luck the most important emulator of them all is the one with the issues.

thanks....

Edited by MazJohn [Mr Arcade]

Q-Have you tried the base command line version of Mame ?

Yes i've tried that as well- , command line has same issue for me. Behavior is the same. ... the default.cfg file in Mame keeps getting erased  to defaults when the wireless controller port mappings change, or when the wireless controller or pc turns off. I assume I am in a small niche here using Xbox one wireless controllers combined with Mame and Launchbox???.... I've experienced this same behavior on 3 different PC's, and Mame seems  to behave the same way for me on all 3 test boxes.... no joy here.  Retroarch doesnt seem  to be effected much by this as badly as Mame... Maybe its just me having an isolated issue.

I  personally think its just how window 10 is dynamically mapping wireless controllers and how Mame  and launch-box picks them up. I  tested this with the Xbox 360 adapter and 360 wireless controllers and had the same exact issue. Tomorrow I will purchase an Xbox one S wireless controller and test with that since it uses Bluetooth instead of these wireless adapters.... what i am trying to figure out is if wireless Bluetooth holds onto the same controller ports when it syncs each time in windows... maybe Bluetooth controllers do not experience this issue and it only occurs with the Microsoft Wireless adapters? any feedback appreciated if anyone else in this forum has experience with Bluetooth game-pads or if wired controllers work or not

This all seems much time invested... lol

I'd be interested to hear how the Bluetooth works. I'd imagine it will be the same.  I don't understand how we are this advanced yet our OS can't allow us to do anything with controllers. Say, allowing users to tell windows that a certain controller will be turned on in port 2 and until further notice it is an Xbox one wireless controller so tell any program that wants to know that it's that type of controller so the program can apply the mapping set for it. How is his Type of control not a standard feature of an OS yet?

'id be interested to hear how the Bluetooth works. I'd imagine it will be the same.

update:

Having the Same issue using the latest  Xbox wireless Bluetooth controllers. I've even tried putting the configuration file into the "ctrlr" folder and pointing the mame.ini to use it.... it helps but doesn't eliminate the problem. Apparently there is a way with Mame to force (remap) joypad port mappings using the specific device id within a config file.... I haven't gotten it to work. anybody have a clue how to do this with xbox one wireless controllers? The reason to do this is so that mame uses the same gamepad port mappings each time mame launches

I am not certain, since i am not a programmer by any means.....but Launchbox hand-off to mame *may* also be inconsistent when passing the joypad port information. I've opened a ticket with Jason to see if there is anything worth looking into regarding  this and Mame integration with Launchbox. 

Here is some documentaion about this:
http://docs.mamedev.org/advanced/devicemap.html

and here is the config file I tried... i dropped it into the ctrlr folder and instructed the mame.ini folder to look there during launch..... no luck... do i need device ID's or just use x-input?  Is there anything else noticeably wrong with the code?

code:

<mameconfig version="10">
<system name="default">

<mameconfig version=”10”>
<system name=”default”>
<input>
<mapdevice device=”XInput Player 1” controller=”JOYCODE_1” />
<mapdevice device=”XInput Player 2” controller=”JOYCODE_2” />
</input>
</system>
</mameconfig>

Don't know if this is a solution that works with Bluetooth. But it works for all my wired controllers.

Utrez, thanks- the controllerremapgui utility looks like it might be of help. Thanks for sharing,  Are there any specific Launchbox configuration settings that can be used to have the utility work together with Launchbox and Mame?

Thatman, thanks for the video... i'll check that out as well

On 2.8.2017 at 1:36 AM, MazJohn [Mr Arcade] said:

Are there any specific Launchbox configuration settings that can be used to have the utility work together with Launchbox and Mame?

Well, I already used this before Launchbox with Hyperspin and did no special config for Launchbox.