LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME not working

Wheeler

Unless you plan on using more than one physical monitor with MAME and want to use different aspect ratios, you can ignore aspect 0,1,2,3 and just concentrate on aspect.
This can have the following values
auto
16:9
4:3
16:10
3:2
3:4
5:2
5:3

The default is auto which displays a game using it's original aspect ratio.
Using, say 16:9, would stretch the game to fill a modern 16:9 monitor or TV screen.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone. I appear to be having the same issue Wheeler was having, but I can't seem to get mine working in LB and for some reason, Retroarch is definitely out of the question. I've downloaded the rom set 0.188 for both split and merged. When I tried setting everything up with the split roms and trying to use retroarch, my screen would open a window stating Initializing, but then crash about as fast as it opened. All cores I tried did the exact same thing. I tried: mame_libretro.dll, mame2014, mame2010 and mame2000. I've downloaded the most recent version of MAMEUI64. If I use the merged roms, I can get them to work in MAMEUI64, but as soon as I try to open them in LB, I'm getting a similar screen to what Wheeler was getting. I've gone through this post twice now, but I can't seem to figure out what to do...possibly because my frustration level is up. Any help would be greatly appreciated...especially the MAME for Dummies version about now. Thanks.

Emulator1.jpg

MAME Error.jpg

Emulator.jpg

5 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Okay where are your games located on your drive? Have you configured MAME64UI to use that directory?

DOS76, I do have MAMEUI64 set to use that directory. If I open the mameui64.exe, I can then scroll to any game inside the UI and open it with the emulator without any problems. But, as soon as I get it into LB, I get similar error screens to the one pictured for any of the games I try to open.

So it appears I actually did figure it out at one point because I had it looking at my split mame folder, but I constantly got the error you see in the picture. It didn't matter which game I opened. So i changed the directory to my merged folder and the Donkey Kong error you see is the one I tried to open. So I went to the US version and that one actually opened up just fine for me. I did try this emulator version in LB, but it would do the same...A screen would pop up real quick saying Initializing and then close just as fast.

New Error.jpg

Hi @HotMommasCowboy

The game in your screenshot cannot be played in MAME. But the error message seems to show that you either haven't got this game or MAME is unaware of it's location.
If you had then you would see the error message shown below. Hitting any key twice would bring up the screen shown below. This screen can't be interacted with in MAME as this is a mechanical game and different to the Donkey Kong platform one.

ErrorMessage.PNG

Game.png

Thanks Spycat, that explains why it wouldn't open. DOS76 was wanting to know if I could open games in mame64 as opposed to mameui64. Which I was able to with DK US and I'm sure I could probably open more games. I assumed if it had a colored block (as opposed to greyed out) next to the game that it would work. Any ideas on how I can get mame to work in LB? I can load games with mame, but as soon as I put them in LB, I can no longer get them to work...unless I right click on the game and then open mame. When I open mame that way, I can get the games to play. Thanks.

From what you say you seem to have two collections of MAME games, Split and Merged, in two separate folders. While MAME itself can cope with Merged games, LaunchBox, like some other frontends, may not. It's fine with Split or Non-Merged.

If you are getting errors when trying to run your Split roms using MAME itself check your Directory settings in MAME to see if your Split folder path is included. If it is then you may have a corrupt set, I believe this was an issue some time back.

Thanks @spycat, I just put my split roms into mame64 to test it and it appears it may be a corrupt file. I'm getting the error "The selected machine is missing one or more required ROM or CHD images...". It does it for every game I tried. If I understand your comment correctly, it's best to have split or non-merged for LB, is that correct? Thanks.

Hi @HotMommasCowboy

Either will work in LaunchBox.
The thing with a merged game is that the files for the Parent as well as all of it's clones are in a single zip and some frontends don't like this.

You may find this a bit helpful.
With your Directories configured to access your Split folder and not your Merged one, in your MAME GUI left panel, switch to Available to show only your games that MAME can find in this folder.
If it shows your Split games, then in your right panel select Infos to bring up the General Info screen. If the Roms and Samples Audit Pass are Disabled, then Enable them via Configure Options, Miscellaneous Options, set Info Auto Audit to ON and Save. The Audit Pass information is very basic but will show if a game is good or bad in MAME. If all your Split games are showing up as BAD then maybe you can source a new romset. If you're iffy about trying Split again, you could go for a Non-Merged romset (0.188 to match your version of MAME).

Thanks again @spycat

I will try this when I get off work tonight to see what happens. I don't mind trying to download split again. It's just a PITA because I'm traveling and the hotel wifi is horrible for download. So I'll spend a little time at Starbucks tomorrow if your suggestion doesn't work.

One last question for you. When I open mameui64 in a small screen, I can see all the columns on the left side, but as soon as I open it to full screen, I 2 columns on the left and I've been unable to figure out how to get the columns back. Any idea what I need to do? Trying to pull the columns open don't work.

MAME Small Screen.jpg

MAMEUI Full Screen.jpg