LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME not working

Wheeler

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok yeah the 188 rom is missing loads of stuff when I explor the zip/7z file. The 182 rom of SSF2 turbo has a qsound in it as well as plenty of other files inside. there is no way to upgrade that rom to work with the 188 version?

Edited by Wheeler

@DOS76@spycat, Just wanted to give an update real quick. So my original rom pack Software List Roms. I downloaded the correct one and now it works great. Thanks for the help you two. I am disappointed in pacman though. All the versions I have are not normal. They work, but not normal. Could it be something I did? A couple of questions:

1. I started with RA and most games worked, but some would crash RA (RA "Stopped Working", like the pacmans). It appeared as though it was trying to open 2 screens at startup (one would flash really quickly and then be gone). But, everything works fine in MAME (inside LB). Any thoughts why RA crashes on some games?

2. It appears controller (I have 2 logitech f310's) setup in MAME doesn't cover all games, Is there a way to setup each game individually for the ones that don't use the normal controls?

Thanks again for the help.

Hi @HotMommasCowboy

Glad you got things sorted. I'm not clear on what you mean by your Pac-man games "work but not normal".

Bear in mind that Pac Man games by the likes of Mazooma and QPS are mechanical ones and are unrelated to the Namco maze game where you gobble up dots. The parent is Namco's Puck Man Japan set 1 (puckman.zip) and it has lots of clones.

I don't use RA so can't help you there, sorry.

@DOS76, Thanks for the info, but tab isn't opening up a menu for me. I need to learn the MAME program, so I'll play around until I can figure it out.

@spycat, I think the Pac Man games that showed up under Arcade are the mechanical ones you're talking about. The original (or the one I grew up with) one was actually placed under the Namco platform. Thanks.

When you launch a MAME game you can then press TAB and the configuration menu will open.

Namco's Puck Man (Japan set 1) has the following clones:
Abscam - abscam.zip
Buccaneer - bucaner.zip
Caterpillar Pacman Hack - ctrpllr.zip
Come Come (Petaco SA bootleg of Puck Man) - pacmanpe.zip
Crock-Man - crockman.zip
Ghost Muncher - ghostmun.zip
Hangly-Man (set 1) - hangly.zip
Hangly-Man (set 2) - hangly2.zip
Hangly-Man (set 3) - hangly3.zip
Joyman - joyman.zip - joyman.zip
New Puck-X - newpuckx.zip
Newpuc2 (set 1) - newpuc2.zip
Newpuc2 (set 2) - newpuc2b.zip
Pac-Man (bootleg on World Cup '90 hardware) - pac90.zip
Pac-Man (Galaxian hardware, set 1) - pacmanbl.zip
Pac-Man (Galaxian hardware, set 2) - pacmanbla.zip
Pac-Man (Hearts) - pacheart.zip
Pac-Man (JPM bootleg) - pacmanjpm.zip
Pac-Man (Midway, harder) - pacmod.zip
Pac-Man (Midway, speedup hack) - pacmanf.zip
Pac-Man (Midway) - pacman.zip
Pac-Man (Moon Alien 'AL-10A1' hardware) - pacmanblb.zip
Pac-Man (SegaSA / Sonic) - pacmanso.zip
Pacu-Man (Spanish bootleg of Puck Man) - pacuman.zip
Piranha - piranha.zip
Piranha (hack) - piranhah.zip
Piranha (older) - piranhao.zip
Popeye-Man - popeyeman.zip
Puck Man (bootleg set 1) - puckmanb.zip
Puck Man (bootleg set 2) - puckmanh.zip
Puck Man (Japan set 2) - puckmod.zip
Puck Man (Spanish, 'Made in Greece' bootleg) - pacmansp.zip
Puck Man (speedup hack) - puckmanf.zip

ok at a loss, I guess I need to come to a grip that I'm either not going to get MAME to work at all or I will not get all the ROMs I want to work. this is rather disheartening when I had a full working ROM set with a old MAME, but it will not work with LaunchBox and have to use a newer one and not fine ROMs for version 188.

ROMS from my MAME 188 set they just will not run. I tried to convert the 184 file I have to 188 and that doesn't work either. This is happening for a few of them Pacman, Super SF2 Turbo, Zookeeper to name a few. The roms will not work in MAME itself, and I get them in the set.

I have no idea what kind of set I have to be honest.

But it might be something I did....so I gave the ISO these ROMs are on and made the path in MAME to the virtual drive path of the roms folder, and SSFII Turbo boots.....so it MIGHT be that I missed a file that is needed the seems to be so many SSF zip files. I only pulled out the Roms I wanted from this set so I wants filling my machine with games I will never touch. how do I find out what files I need to make this run out of this list

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Wheeler

for MAME if you have a split set your best bet is to keep all the files and if that isn't an option and you only want certain ones then you need to get a non-merged set and this way you can safely pull out whatever you want and all the roms should work.

So you got some roms off of a disk you got from somewhere ?

With a UI version of Mame you can use the audit tool to find out what roms are missing.

If you are using the command line version of Mame open a command prompt window and navigate to your Mame folder and type in

mame64.exe romzipname and then hit enter, it will try and run the game. If it fails it will give you an error message saying what it's missing and where it is looking for it.

For SSFII Turbo I am going to guess that it needs the ssf2tu.7z and ssf2t.7z, the first one is the US region "clone" and the second file is the "parent"

I got this from a torrent site, and its an ISO format that I will need to mount to get the files. I guess I can add files to the ROM folder until it works, If I cant do that I could just keep the image mounted and direct MAME to the virtual CD Drive. I just don't want all these nonsense games in my BigBox

Quick question. I have MAME up and running, but I ended up installing a bunch of stuff I really don't want..fruit games, mechanical, etc... Is there a way to reprocess MAME in LB without losing all the box art (it takes about 19hrs to process the artwork and videos) and stuff and just reprocess the games so I can leave that other stuff out? Thanks.