LaunchBox Community Forums

Amiga Forever 7

spectral

Has anyone tried this with launchbox? One of the new features in 7 is being able to just run an Amiga disk or HDD image in windows and have it load and run with the correct config. Unless I'm missing something this would make adding WHload formatted games to LB as simple as any other systems rom files, assuming it works as advertised.

Its a legit program, they even licensed the kickstart roms( basically the amiga FW) so its all legal. I've used the 2016 version at a friends and just as an amiga emulator it seemed to work well. But the ability to just run a disk or whload file direct from windows and have it open, self configure and run the game is new to V7 which is fairly new. I'm in the same boat as you if it works well I'll buy it, especially since it sounds like it would make using it with LB easier.  Thats why I created this thread to see if anyone had tried it. I know there are a few Amiga fans here. Another cool option for any Amiga fan with an old PC/Laptop gathering dust is you can now also set it to start and load directly into the emulated Amiga when windows starts.

Edited by spectral

Awesome! I did some more research, it seems like it's basically a virtualization environment specifically for Amiga (like Hyper-V for Windows) This sounds really intriguing. Hopefully I can give it a go, I've always been stumped with Amiga and C64 stuff. Hopefully the roms I have will work with it. I think the issue with me is more filtering out the games to make sure that I don't have 25,000 games for one system and half of them are revisions or copies or hacks or software.

So I bit the bullet and got both the Amiga Forever and Commodore 64 Forever programs. Man... everything just works. FINALLY!!! It's so easy. This is aboslutly worth it if you have any issue playing the commodore systems.

The way I have used it with launchbox is this. I've pulled a chunk of C64 games from my roms folder and unzipped them. .d64 and .tap files will now be associated with C64 during installation. So double clicking the files will open up the program and create a new .rp9 file (stands for RetroPlatform I guess) This is basically the image of the game. Now you can just throw those into a new Rom folder and import the .rp9 files like any other game and platform import and add the emulator like normal and it'll all work!

The only issue I've run into so far, is with the Amiga Forever 7 program now, when loading up games, they run and a really fast speed, like 2 or 3 times as fast as they should. I've checked the options but am having a hard time with getting it running normally. 

• Like 2

I'm still umming and arring over Amiga Forever. I don't know why it would be running faster than it is supposed too, I've not tried 7 but the 2016 version I had a mess with didn't do that. Do you have a high refresh rate monitor or anything that could be forcing it higher? Is it just the framerate of the entire emulation that is sped up?

I've not really given any thought to the C64 version. I don't have any nostalgia for that at all I was a speccy kid. Anything on the C64 worth it without the nostalgia factor?

Edited by spectral

I"m not sure exactly why it's happening, but it definitely is something wrong with my PC, I tried it on a couple other PCs of mine and it ran at normal speeds. I don't know how well Amiga forever and C64 Forever work together, but they seem to recognize each other and have all the files for each program in each other as well. 

I'd suggest giving it a try since they are both very very good products. I rarely suggest software, but these programs are amazing and work extremely well and take a lot of guesswork out of some of these systems that I never really grew up with. If you are on the fence about it, I'd say either download the free version or just bite the bullet. It's only $30 and is basically turn key.  

I think I am going to end up getting Amiga Forever as I used to love my Amiga 600. Its a shame USB Amiga style joysticks dont seem to be very widely available. I don't think I'm going to bother with the C64 one though I dont think I'd end up using it. Now if they had a ZX Spectrum version I'd be all over it.

Although for the authentic Amiga experience I'm going to have to find a mouse that keeps jamming up and only registers every other click.

I've just bought it and yeah it seems it doesn't natively support WHDload as I thought. However it can create RP7 files containing multiple disks then you just load that file and it handles all the disc changes itself. So convenience wise more or less the same thing.

Edited by spectral

On 8/25/2017 at 7:11 PM, TheMadMan007 said:

So I bit the bullet and got both the Amiga Forever and Commodore 64 Forever programs. Man... everything just works. FINALLY!!! It's so easy. This is aboslutly worth it if you have any issue playing the commodore systems.

The way I have used it with launchbox is this. I've pulled a chunk of C64 games from my roms folder and unzipped them. .d64 and .tap files will now be associated with C64 during installation. So double clicking the files will open up the program and create a new .rp9 file (stands for RetroPlatform I guess) This is basically the image of the game. Now you can just throw those into a new Rom folder and import the .rp9 files like any other game and platform import and add the emulator like normal and it'll all work!

The only issue I've run into so far, is with the Amiga Forever 7 program now, when loading up games, they run and a really fast speed, like 2 or 3 times as fast as they should. I've checked the options but am having a hard time with getting it running normally. 

What is the advantage of the commodore forever images? You can already load tapes and disks like ROM files with VICE and CCS64.