LaunchBox Community Forums

Nostalgia Theme WIP

eatkinola

5 minutes ago, zengeek said:

@eatkinola  just so I'm 100% clear, the intention is to have this play videos for each game, overlayed on the viking theme video(s) /background?

Cheers, 

Yes, that's right. It'll play the game video embedded in the appropriate platform background image. If there is no video found, I'll probably make it display a screenshot of one found in the library.

The plugin to do this is functional, but I need to clean it up a bit. I'll release the plugin separately, and it can be used in other themes as well.

6 minutes ago, zengeek said:

That's a brilliant approach, as sharing it as a plugin to the community will enable them to enhance their own themes, great move! 

Thanks! Yeah, I'm interested in seeing what other theme designers do with it.

6 minutes ago, zengeek said:

When do you aim to have an initial release out? 

Should be within the next month, sooner if I can manage.

• 2 weeks later...

It's coming along nicely I think. Always the occasional work to refine the video engine, but @CriticalCid has been helping test so I think we have most of the bugs worked out. Aside from that, the layout is going well. It's actually a pretty simple theme; going for the quality over quantity approach. Hope it pans out! I'll try and post some screen shots later.

• Like 3

Here are a few shots from the games view. The background changes based on the platform of the selected game. The wheel fades in over the game details when in use. There is a title over the wheel in the various games and platform / category / playlist views to help keep you oriented. The platform / category / playlist view is very similar and displays details such as games completed, average star rating, etc. I'll make corresponding text-based views for the games and platforms; those will have a look similar to the options, mashed up with some views from Minimal-AOX.

nostalgia-wip-1.thumb.jpg.02754e031b529950c34df6370f8009b3.jpg

nostalgia-wip-2.thumb.jpg.e7be0dea7b12c7e4f656ee2ec1d2bde6.jpg

nostalgia-wip-3.thumb.jpg.14ce65d0e158712ff75b987a96b55b85.jpg

nostalgia-wip-4.thumb.jpg.5258687772ad650ebae9906b388633d0.jpg

• Like 5

In my opinion the game videos should have always been played inside of the t.v./device by default. This is the way it used to be on my HS setup, and was easy to do since you could make a theme with just a png overlay on top of the video.  Great that you are doing this .  So can we just use the plugin on any theme? Or does it have to be the theme shown in your screenshots. For example, I use cityhunter and Vikings platform videos, but would like to have the games in the t.v. Like this.

2 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

So can we just use the plugin on any theme?

Sure, as long as the theme designer incorporates the plugin into their theme. Once it shapes up a bit more, I'll post the plugin for anyone to download and use however they want. CityHunter is based off CriticalZone, so you would have to talk to @keltoigael and @CriticalCid about incorporating this plugin design element into their theme. It's totally up to them; they may or may not be interested. Every theme has its own design goals.

2 minutes ago, eatkinola said:

Sure, as long as the theme designer incorporates the plugin into their theme. Once it shapes up a bit more, I'll post the plugin for anyone to download and use however they want. CityHunter is based off CriticalZone, so you would have to talk to @keltoigael and @CriticalCid about incorporating this plugin design element into their theme. It's totally up to them; they may or may not be interested. Every theme has its own design goals.

Always up to help, just let me know what you need.

• Like 1

@eatkinola just gave it a spin but I got this error, any ideas?

Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined.

App:     Big Box
Version: 7.12-beta-1
Type:    System.UriFormatException
Site:    Void CreateThis(System.String, Boolean, System.UriKind)
Source:  System

at System.Uri.CreateThis(String uri, Boolean dontEscape, UriKind uriKind)
   at Ao.Bigbox.Plugins.AutopathVideoLooperFramed.SetupControlForPlatform(IPlatform platform)
   at (<>c__DisplayClass25_0 )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.ChildViewModelBase.<>c__DisplayClass25_0.<OnPluginSelectionChanged>b__0()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeDelegateCore()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherOperation operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at (Action , DispatcherPriority )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.Threading.Invoke(Action callback, DispatcherPriority priority)
   at (ChildViewModelBase , FilterType , String , Platform , Game )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.ChildViewModelBase.OnPluginSelectionChanged(FilterType filterType, String filterValue, Platform platform, Game game)
   at (PlatformFiltersViewModelBase , Object )
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Wpf.BigBox.ViewModels.PlatformFiltersViewModelBase.<selectionChangedTimer_Elapsed>b__11_0(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

Recent Log:

6:11:32 PM Music.Pause Start
   6:11:32 PM Music.Resume Start
   6:11:33 PM Music.Resume Start
   6:11:37 PM Music.Initialize Start
   18:11:37 Music.Kill Start
   18:11:37 Music.Kill Finished
   6:11:37 PM Music.StopAndResumeBackground Start
   6:11:49 PM Music.Initialize Start
   18:11:49 Music.Kill Start
   18:11:49 Music.Kill Finished
   6:11:53 PM Music.Pause Start