LaunchBox Community Forums

Stutter/mini freeze every 5-6 seconds

Imgema

Whatever you do in the desktop mode (i don't have a license), like scrolling your libraries, there is a small stutter every few seconds. This stutter is guaranteed and happens every 5 or 6 seconds. The stutter becomes more intense if you open other windows like options or after you edit a rom and download a box-art for instance. After you do this, the stutter is very intence and feels like the program is freezing for a moment. This only gets fixed when you restart the program but it comes back again if you use it.

Any way to fix this? It's kinda annoying, it happens whenever i do anything with the program, open a window, an option, run an emulator, etc, not just editing stuff.

Is it only me?

Edited by Imgema

It's not something I experience with my 11,000+ library size and I have my Launchbox open all the time while doing other stuff like web browsing, keeping an eye on Discord and listening to music all on the same system.

Have you tried the updating to the latest beta at all ? People have been reporting very significant performance gains. While I cannot say I have noticed a significant performance increase with the latest beta I can say it is a bit noticeable but I also didn't have any significant issues before it either.

The problem might not be immediately apparent. Try scrolling up and down your library smoothly with the mouse, you should notice a small stutter every few (5-6) seconds. This might be minor enough to not notice it. But if you try doing some things like updating images, info, etc, basically use the program. Then try scrolling again... When i do that, the stutter becomes intense enough to be described as mini-freeze. Since i'm in the middle of creating a new system library this stuttering gets in the way.

I have no performance problems with anything else, just this.

Edited by Imgema

Yeah, I hear what you are saying and I don't experience the issues you describe. I can change platforms which contain several hundred games (NES, Genesis, SNES) and it will scroll smoothly.

I use Launchbox every day, it is always loaded even if I am not using it and this is never a problem at all. The worst that happens is there is the occasional box art that needs to cache in for a micro second but once it does it's fine.

Even on my low end HTPC it runs fine, though the library size on that system is much more streamlined.

This on desktop mode right?

My library is 8.000 games big. But i have an i54670 + 16GB RAM. I also use a RAMdisk for the image cache. I shouldn't have any performance problems. Actually, i never had any problems with version 6 something but i had to upgrade because of a new feature i wanted.

It runs smoothly otherwise, it doesn't feel like the system is loaded but those spikes every 6 seconds makes it annoying to use.

I will try this on my Windows 10 system to see if it's also affected.

Yes, desktop mode.

I have 11,000 games and run an AMD 8350, 16 gigs ram and no use of a ram disk and I have rarely ever had any issues at all with performance in either mode. Occasional betas have had issues sneak in but taken care of quickly and fixed in the next beta release.

Oh man :(

I have the exact same issues on my Windows 10 machine. Same minor stutter every 6 seconds, same increase of intensity of those stutters when i do something with the program, same crash when i try to "push" the program by scrolling my full library up and down with the mouse...

The only difference is that when it crashes, i get no message like in Windows 7.

Also, an easier way to notice the stutter (if it's there) is to open the edit rom window, open the "download media" window and just move it around with the mouse. Every 6 seconds the window freezes in place and "teleports".

So, obviously it wasn't my system. But if it's not the program either then it must be my LauncBbox Setup. Maybe an option or something but i tried many things to no avail.

Edit: Here you can see the CPU spikes every 6 seconds, after i have opened Launchbox and played with it a bit.

Untitled.jpg

This happens in both machines. Both pretty powerful and never had any problems with LaunchBox.

Edited by Imgema

I did a fresh install with fresh options and all and just copied one library of 500 games in it to make sure it's as light as possible. Same problem.

Here's how to reproduce the issue, it's 100% fail-proof for me i can reproduce it all the time.

Open LaunchBox. Right click on any game and press "Edi". Then press the "download images/media" button on the bottom right. After it gives you the results just move the window around with the mouse. Every 6 seconds it should do mini-freezes.

Now the program will perform like this until you restart it. Those freezes exist even when you don't do this but they are very subtle. It still causes the program to crash though if you "push it". Go to "All" platforms and wait for the images to cache. Then grab the mouse slider and go up and down fast, from top to bottom. If you have enough games, it should crash after a few loops. Mine crashes with 8.000 games.

Edited by Imgema

Seems like i'm the only one who gets the crash, in 2 different systems.

Could you try one more thing? When you open the edit window and then the download images/media window, cab you move that window around the screen with your mouse? See if there are any stutters while the window is moving. Like it's freezing for a bit every few seconds. Thanks for testing this.

Ok. Thanks for testing it.

Guess i'll have to wait for the next stable version and hope it gets fixed for me somehow.

Is there any way to get an older version perhaps? I think version 6.7 was the last version that didn't give me such problems.

Downgraded to version 7.10 stable. Made a fresh install with only one platform and a few games to test. Still the same issue!! In two different systems. It's not crashing since i have very few games but i do get the mini freezes and CPU spikes just like before. So it's not a problem with the beta only.

This is starting to drive me a bit crazy. Also, can't find any older versions.

I reported this to Jason as you said.

Edit: Tested this on a THIRD system. This one is a bit older, with a Core 2 Duo CPU. installed version 7.10 stable and then upgraded to latest beta. Both versions have the same issues yet again. Only this time more severe because the CPU is slower so the CPU spikes go up to 16% instead of 4-5% in the other systems. So i stutter/freezes every 6 seconds like before, but the freezes last for more miliseconds.

Can't believe i'm the only one who experiences these issues in 3 different systems.

I'm going to test this on a 4th system soon, this time a laptop. I'm going to try this on as many different systems as possible until i find one that isn't affected, lol.

Edited by Imgema

Ok so I don't normally stick my nose in stuff like this but since I am not a mod and do not have to remain civil or politically correct, what is seriously your deal? Obviously if this was a significant problem someone else would speak up about it. My question is why is this even a major deal for you? This little program continuously works great for me and I have no complaints whatsoever. If you are that displeased with whats going on ask for a freaking refund.