LaunchBox Community Forums

Recommend hardware for htpc/gaming/emulation Pc

hoosier1

1 minute ago, lordmonkus said:

The 1050TI is fine for 60 FPS on the vast majority of games, yeah you might have to tweak a few settings for certain really taxing games but it will do it. If that isn't enough for the OP the he can easily upgrade to whatever card he is willing to spend the money on.

So yeah you saying that a 1050ti is no good is bullshit. I use a shitty (by todays standards) 970 at 1440 and get 60 fps and better.

No one is saying to play at 30 fps and the 1050ti at 1080p will do 60 fps on the vast majority of games with some tweaks if necessary.

Yep, and i did clearly say "some genre" are fine at that framerate, a point and click adventure doesn't "need" 60fps does it??

6 minutes ago, lordmonkus said:

The 1050TI is fine for 60 FPS on the vast majority of games, yeah you might have to tweak a few settings for certain really taxing games but it will do it. If that isn't enough for the OP the he can easily upgrade to whatever card he is willing to spend the money on.

So yeah you saying that a 1050ti is no good is bullshit. I use a shitty (by todays standards) 970 at 1440 and get 60 fps and better.

No one is saying to play at 30 fps and the 1050ti at 1080p will do 60 fps on the vast majority of games with some tweaks if necessary.

If he wants to build a new PC, why not buy one that does not have make tweaks?

He says he wants to easy upgrade later, so will he buy already thinking about upgrade?

I do not understand your vision.

Claudio

I will concede though if the OP is willing to spend the extra money on a 1070 then I would recommend he do it but that is an extra 300$ roughly.

Just now, Cauptain said:

I do not understand your vision.

It's not my vision, it's the OPs. He clearly has put the system he thinks within his budget, though to be fair he never mentioned anything about a budget.

He asked if that computer would be fine for emulation and AAA games and yes it would be perfectly fine for most every AAA PC game at 1080p 60fps but certain higher end games may need a couple of tweaks to get a solid 60fps.

But you jumping in and arbitrarily tacking on an extra 400$ to his build based on what you don't believe is enough and you happen to be incorrect about is just bad.

If he needs to upgrade his graphics card later it is very simple to do so, but only if he decides he needs to. Not everyone is willing to plop down the same amount of money in one go as you or even I would do.

5 minutes ago, Cauptain said:

If he wants to build a new PC, why not buy one that does not have make tweaks?

It's called a budget.

@Cauptain great job of cherry picking the most demanding games but you can indeed run those games at 1080p 60fps on a 1050ti if you turn down some of the more demanding effects. Like I said, I run games like GTA 5 and Witcher 3 at 1440 with some tweaks on a lowly 970 with its 3.5/4 gigs of VRam. Not everything needs to be running at max settings to be more than enjoyable with very little noticeable difference in graphics.

@hoosier1 there is no question a 1070 would be the preferred card and if I were building a PC today it is the one I would choose to put in my system. But I am not building a system today because I have no need to build one right now. I run an AMD 8350 cpu with an Nvidia 970 graphics card and it handles modern games at 1440p 60fps+ with some settings tweaks. The difference between Ultra and Very high is barely even noticeable when actually playing a game in terms of looks. Yeah, sure you can tell the difference if you take screen shots and study them up close but in motion actually playing the game no.

Just turn off settings like Ambient Occlusion, Depth of Field and dial back the anti aliasing a little, 2x is plenty. Those are generally the biggest frame rate hits bit different games may use extra post processing effects that have a sever impact as well. The Witcher 3 for example has hairworks which murders even the most high end systems when its set to max.

It's your budget, build within it now and in 6 months to a year from now you want a bit more power throwing a 1070 or even a 1080 in there would be a worthy upgrade. You certainly won't be bottle necking the new graphics card with the hardware you are putting into it.

If you're planning to use that rig just for watching movies, playing some games here and there casually, the 1050ti is more than enough. If you'll use that machine as your main gaming rig, go with a 1060 6GB for 1080p, for resolutions higher than that you'll need a 1070 and 16 Gb  to be futureproof.

BTW, I have a 1050ti in my HTPC and Tekken 7 run flawlessly at 1080p and 60 fps. That card can handle any fighting game at that resolution.