LaunchBox Community Forums

I can't delete my Super Nintendo Platform! It keeps coming back...

cleverest

2 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

Wow, crazy issue. We have seen some issues with deleting platforms in the past but I haven't seen them pop up in quite a while. Generally, in order to delete a platform, you have to remove all instances of the platform from the Platforms.xml file as well as delete the platform's games file from the Data\Platforms subfolder. It's possible that somehow the platform name is still being referred to in an XML file under the Platforms folder, even if the file name doesn't match. That would be my best guess here.

However, finding the issue that caused it...ugh...

To confirm, I've renamed, deleted, altered every instance of the offending name in XML files......also removed, deleted inside of launchbox every instance of the platform or reference in emulators, in platform EDIT (paths to images, games, etc), in manage platforms, etc..tried also deleted all game entires in it except one to keep the playform visible...renamed the platform only, restarted...nothing...

No matter what I do the same 970 games (all us snes games (and lots of super famicom games) come back into this platform each time I restart launchbox...I'm cursed!

17 hours ago, Suhrvivor said:

What about the backup files? Maybe Launchbox uses them in some way to restore missing platforms if you broke a xml by editing a tag out or something.

Tried that too...wiped all backups out, and deleted all instances of folders and also entries in XML files...

Still comes back....  When I right click a game in this platform and do OPEN game it opens up my actual game folder in Launchbox\games\super nintendo entertainment system

But when I do the same thing for OPEN IMAGES...it opens up the mostly blank (just a few sub-folders in it) in the path: Launchbox\games\nintendo super nintendo entertainment system

No matter what I do, this rogue folder keeps getting created shortly after I delete it...

On 10/6/2017 at 12:07 PM, Jason Carr said:

Wow, crazy issue. We have seen some issues with deleting platforms in the past but I haven't seen them pop up in quite a while. Generally, in order to delete a platform, you have to remove all instances of the platform from the Platforms.xml file as well as delete the platform's games file from the Data\Platforms subfolder. It's possible that somehow the platform name is still being referred to in an XML file under the Platforms folder, even if the file name doesn't match. That would be my best guess here.

However, finding the issue that caused it...ugh...

@Jason Carr - sorry to bother you with this again....anything else I can do besides starting over? I want to nuke this platform, and just can't seem to do it...thanks.

Thanks Jason, but I may not need to do this now...I appeared to have fixed it! YES!  (if it happens again, I certainly will though, thank you)

I did these steps.... (note #1 and #2 was not sufficient by itself to fix this, and neither was #5 by itself...I tried these alone and it still failed)

1. Deleted all the XML's referencing 'nintendo super nintendo entertainment system', and all entries of it in platform.xml
2. Delete the entries in launchbox for this (not the actual roms, just the platform entry)
3. Deleted all the XML's referencing ' super nintendo entertainment system', and all entires of it in platform.xml
4. Delete the entries in launchbox for this (not the actual roms , just the platform entry)
5. Replaced platform.xml with an older one.

So basically nuked EVERYTHING to do with super Nintendo or the old/bad entry and then when it didn't exist in LB, reimported the proper SNES folder, creating the platform by typing it in manually since it wasn't on the list to select uring the import wizard...seems normal now and the bad platform is gone! Thank God!