LaunchBox Community Forums

Atari 800

muppets4

I am trying to add the Atari 800. Not much documentation on that. At least, what I can find. No video taking me step by step..... From what I've read there are two options. MESS and Retroarch. Can't get both of them to work. When I configure them and double click on a game, nothing happens. I have two bios files. 800.zip and 800xl.zip. In MESS I' put them in the rom folder. I've also created a bios folder for Retroarch and entered the location of that folder in the config. Both refuse to open games. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Of a tutorial maybe?

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 7:14 AM, lordmonkus said:

You may want to look into Altirra, its the best overall and easiest to setup Atari 8bit emulator.

http://www.virtualdub.org/altirra.html

+1 for suggesting Altirra. Although there are some (other) very good options out there such as Mess, Atari800 (standalone as well as the RA core), I've had nothing but excellent results with Altirra, as it emulates Atari 800 and the Atari 5200 almost flawlessly :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Apologies for necroing this thread, I'm having a problem with Altirra not launching on 'Play' but launching on right-click 'Launch With'.

I have Altirra set in LB as the default/only emulator for Atari 800 and 5200, any idea what I could be doing wrong? 

36 minutes ago, nonstatik said:

Apologies for necroing this thread, I'm having a problem with Altirra not launching on 'Play' but launching on right-click 'Launch With'.

I have Altirra set in LB as the default/only emulator for Atari 800 and 5200, any idea what I could be doing wrong? 

Then your games are not using that emulator, the default checkbox is for imports only. Click a game then ctrl A to highlite them all, ctrl E to open the bulk edit wizard, choose emulator in the first dropdown, then the one you want to change to in the second.

• 5 years later...

Hi All

I am jumping on this thread here.

I want to get this working in LB.

I got  Altirra working stand alone. Pretty cool to see an emulated computer from back in the day.

In the root folder of the emulator i set up a folder called games. I have a few games in there for testing.

Any instructions? other than point LB to the emulator and the games folder? is that really it?